OldeSnes Worklog

Hello Everyone!
The GCN was obviously more then I can chew, so my friend and I have started working on a SNES. We are making the case from an old Oregon Scientific Accelerator Cyberstation and plan to procure a PS1 screen. :awesome:
Pics to come (camera is being stupid at present). Also, because we are both busy high school students with lots of homework and extracurriculars, our aim is to get together to work on it once a week... so, yeah it'll take an eternity to do, and updates will be infrequent.

We've bought a PsOne screen and four controllers on eBay. The case has been giving us some trouble, we ended up completely dremeling up the case, and we will use the plastic to make a frankencase.
This brings us to two questions:
1. How can We tell if plastic is ABS plastic? I looked all over the thing, Inside and out, and so far there's no little lable or whatever. We intend to use this method to recycle shards of plastic from the dremeling to make ABS cement, and don't worry, people, I will use non-latex gloves, haha.
2. The ultimate and unfortunately inevitable n00b question: What battery to use?
The Snes AC adapter is 9V and 850mA. Can the Snes run on aything less than 9V? I ask this because apparently the Super Famicom is a bit different,and I don't know how different it is by way of hardware. What batteries have you guys used with Snes mods (We are using a Snes-001)? how would my choice be effected by the PsOne screen, If I reduced the board with Bac's Guide? (I know most of you don't like Bac, but he has a few decent guides and that's the way the cookie crumbles.)

SNES uses a 7805, so it can probably run off >7V. If you replace it with a low dropout regulator, you can get it lower, but 2-cell lithium batteries give you 7.4V nominal, which works for both the SNES and PSone screen.

If the power consumption of the SNES is pretty low, you can just use one of the 7805's from the Zenith screen to power the SNES. Are you using a mini or fat SNES?

We are using a fat snes.
UPDATE: Screen has not yet arrived, but the controlers have. We got a really good deal for the screen on eBay. Psone and Psone screen for thirty-five bucks. I was suspisious at first, but the guy was a top seller with 100% poditive feedback. So guess I'll be modding a psone after we're done with the snes!

I had a goal to work on the SNES once a week. But with school that's been kind of impossible. Swim Season is over, so maybe I can actually do something soon.

Back