Nom64

Bibin

Frequent Poster
Ok, so I was joke photoshopping a Nomad-cased n64 portable the other day, to make a joke at a scammer at benheck, and the result was this:

n64.jpg

Now I really want it! The cart slot is practically already cut, seeing as n64 carts are just slightly less curved than sega carts; they would fit in easily otherwise.

Here's a diagram of button configuration:

n64-1.png

So, how feasable would this be? I would not mind batteries clipping onto the back, but fitting the n64 board (with relocated cart slot of course) and a 3" LCD? The case is about 1" thick, but I won't be destroying my Nomad, I'll be getting a broken one and using it.

bacteria said:
Assuming the case is big enough for the boards, quite feasible. One thing though, probably best to keep the speaker grill as such and lose the d-pad - wouldn't be good on such a curved surface, unless you play games like Pokemon Puzzle League, you are probably ok without a d-pad. A bit of bondo and you can change the "C" buttons to proper ones (would be far better).

Go for it I say! :D Set up a WIP here please! (we might be able to offer help along the way too).

I never use the C buttons for anything but jumping in Super Smash Bros, so that's not of concern.

As for the D-pad, I *may* lose it since the only game I use it for is The New Tetris. Hmm.

Bibin said:
bacteria said:
Assuming the case is big enough for the boards, quite feasible. One thing though, probably best to keep the speaker grill as such and lose the d-pad - wouldn't be good on such a curved surface, unless you play games like Pokemon Puzzle League, you are probably ok without a d-pad. A bit of bondo and you can change the "C" buttons to proper ones (would be far better).

Go for it I say! :D Set up a WIP here please! (we might be able to offer help along the way too).

I never use the C buttons for anything but jumping in Super Smash Bros, so that's not of concern.

As for the D-pad, I *may* lose it since the only game I use it for is The New Tetris. Hmm.
movement in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark?

Is used on C-Buttons if you are right handed, at least for me. ;)

I would use a multi-directional tact switch. Not good for fast gameplay, but you CAN use it, and for the games I want it for (Pokemon stadium 1&2) it will work fine.

You could use that extra button (next to the one labeled "Start") for integrated volume/brightness control. Hold it down and press, say, the D-pad to change settings.

Looking at it more closely, maybe the "C" buttons would be better, as far as handling goes.

Caredo said:
You could use that extra button (next to the one labeled "Start") for integrated volume/brightness control. Hold it down and press, say, the D-pad to change settings.

Looking at it more closely, maybe the "C" buttons would be better, as far as handling goes.

I was going to make the Mode button the L button, since while rarely used it'd be good to have just in case.

Guys, first off, how small can the n64 motherboard be reduced to easily? Also, I need a good cheap 3" LCD.

How easy is "easy"?
Do you want to solder directly to RCP? Relocate the jumper pak?

Easy, for me is to relocate to the RCP and Replace the ram, then cut down an exp pack uber small and then it wont require direct soldering termination resistors, the heatsinks +n64 are about as tall as that.

Otherwise, cut off the GND strips?

SS

PalmerTech said:
Is used on C-Buttons if you are right handed, at least for me. ;)

I would use a multi-directional tact switch. Not good for fast gameplay, but you CAN use it, and for the games I want it for (Pokemon stadium 1&2) it will work fine.

C-buttons if you are RIGHT handed? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it make more sense to aim with your dominant hand?

In any case, I'm so depressed because everyone is making such awesome portables anything I could build would be crap in comparison. Not like the good old days.

If you play N64 shooters, they are not made the way that modern ones are; They aim completely differently. Analog on the left is good.

PalmerTech said:
If you play N64 shooters, they are not made the way that modern ones are; They aim completely differently. Analog on the left is good.
indeed. the most frustrating this is that when you do use a dual-analog setup, its messed up by the aim system. actually, the aiming on goldeneye and perfect dark kinda reminds me of Wii First Person Shooters. You aim around turn, but the gun aims around the screen as well. which does bring up the question, how good would Goldeneye play with GlovePIE or some other Wii-controller compatible driver?

grossaffe said:
PalmerTech said:
indeed. the most frustrating this is that when you do use a dual-analog setup, its messed up by the aim system. actually, the aiming on goldeneye and perfect dark kinda reminds me of Wii First Person Shooters. You aim around turn, but the gun aims around the screen as well. which does bring up the question, how good would Goldeneye play with GlovePIE or some other Wii-controller compatible driver?
It's decent at best.
With the classic-controller it ain't bad.

jleemero said:
grossaffe said:
PalmerTech said:
It's decent at best.
With the classic-controller it ain't bad.
You tried it, then I guess? I've done the dual-analog thing, but was just wondering about IR control. Maybe with some tweaking the sensitivity and bounding box or something it would be more usable.

Back