N64p kit discussion (Split)

Status
Not open for further replies.

βeta

ModRetro Legend
This is stupid and huge. The start button is inconvenient. There are holes on the back where screws used to go, but now they are just half filled with crap. That screen is most of the size of my laptop. It's all in all, way bigger that it needs to be, and poorly designed. I hate it.

Re: Iclassic portable nintendo 64 (including worklog)

βeta said:
This is stupid and huge. The start button is inconvenient. There are holes on the back where screws used to go, but now they are just half filled with crap. That screen is most of the size of my laptop. It's all in all, way bigger that it needs to be, and poorly designed. I hate it.

At least he made a portable instead of spending all his time critiquing others. Since I've joined Modretro all you do is complain about how flaxty everyone's projects are. I agree with the fact that this isn't the best portable, but it's Dang good for his first time.

Cutting a board isn't scary.
At all.

And there are better solder points to solder to if you cut down a board than the ones on the plugs.

Please stop acting like cutting a board is such a big deal, or I will be forced to go across the street, and film a video of my 9 year old neighbor girl cutting an n64 motherboard, and then I will post measurements of the bigger solder points.

The status quo is "making it better."

I'm thinking you don't play any good games, you just play the same one over and over. Start button is in a bad place because Ocarina of Time is a good game that TONS of people want to play on an n64. And you use it, quite a bit. There are tons of games that do. You don't even have a d-pad either. The world's smallest did. And there is plenty of room for one.

It's not that we don't want to see a completed portable(congratulations by the way), it's that we don't want to see someone parading around like an idiot.

SS

No flax cutting a board isn't scary.

People who would be buying a kit are too mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stupid to not screw it up.

βeta said:

Okay, I had pondered sending you a private message, but screw it, lets make this public.

Why are you being such a prick these days? I've always had respect for you on this site. At least, up until the past 6 months to a year. The majority of your posts nowadays are either critical, downright douchey, or completely unrelated to anything. I'm fine with the latter of those three, but the fact that your name color comes up blue, bothers me, to be perfectly honest.

Please don't make me find 20 previous posts by you to prove what I am saying. Wheres the old Beta? Or am I blind and you've always been this way?

And btw, I love this portable. I think it looks beautiful. And Beta, how many portables have you made since you joined Modretro?

EDIT: Turns out Beta has always been an asshole. I asked a lot of veteran members that have been around longer than me. Too bad.

mesojdm said:

As opposed to Beta, who's Segaing as if his territory is being encroached upon, SS brings up some good points... in the second half of his post.

There is no good reason that this doesn't have a D-Pad. What's your logic here? Trying to cut down on solder points? Do what I said in the actual thread and use your 'connections' to make this a 3rd party controller with "extra features" It can really cut down on a lot of work for the customer, and makes your project look that much more polished.

Also, I know you REALLY like the symmetry the start button being in the middle gives you, but it is a legitimate concern of a lot of us that it is in a terribad spot. Just because you can press it semi-easily does not mean it's at all a good spot. You should be able to just slide your thumb off of one button and smack the start button with little to no thought. Between the d-pad and the analog, and a bit offset to the outside or inside would be a much better spot, or below all of the buttons on the right side. You really oughta consider moving it, especially before you dish out the change to get a mold made.

To keep that symmetry, you could put the power button where that start key is. It shouldn't be too hard to source a push toggle switch.

As far as trimming goes, I think you know your target audience pretty well in that respect, but I think you're giving the 'DIY without the effort of DIY' crowd a bit too much credit if you expect them to be able to solder the controller together. I imagine most of the people that would otherwise buy this don't even know what a soldering iron is, and I still think that if you're having this mostly manufactured, there shouldn't be much of an issue constructing it to be completely solder-less.

For people who don't get it this system seems to be beginner friendly so it's cool he's trying to make something easy for people who're really bad at modding.

Ttsgeb- it is a legitimate concern, one that SS has continuously brought up, and one that I already addressed, which is why I am irritated he keeps going back to the only grip he has to hold on to for trying to illigitimize this project .. Relocating the dpad would turn it from a day project to a week project. For the very small amount of Use it gets i opted out of it. yes, I am relocating the start button in final mold.

and Drakon you continue to make my day. "for people who are really bad at modding"
Lol what!? what is wrong with you people. it is for people who want to spend a few hours to make a beautiful portable who can't spend 200 hours to make one themselves regardless of skill level.
Edit- sorry about grammar and ish. Typing on phone

βeta said:

AAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

Anyway, in all seriousness, come on. Aside from being his first one (!!!,) it is still, overall, a good-looking portable. When did we start having the expectation that every new portable that comes along is supposed to be smaller, cleaner, and more ground-breaking than the last? So far as I've always understood it, that's not how this community works - it's about the modding, maaaaan.

Mesojdm, keep up the good work sir.

zaxxon'd said:
http://youtu.be/o87Wa4ii4Y4?t=5m31s

just a little reminder to someone ::3:
That was three god Dang years ago you noob. Do you even realize how much things have changed since then? Apparently the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* not. You've got no right to criticize anyone until you've built a portable yourself. That goes for everyone.

mesojdm said:
Relocating the dpad would turn it from a day project to a week project.

5 wires? 5 wires?!

Keep on truckin', you're obviously a professional at this and way more intelligent and better than me.

I just know I'll get the last laugh when you try to sell these as kits.

SS

Kirby the Crystal Shards
Mischief Makers
Pokemon Puzzle League Challenge.
Poke'mon Stadium
Poke'mon Stadium 2
Tetrisphere

These are the stock games that require a dpad for n64, why is it necessary for a handheld to have a d-pad.. because everyone ever before has had it? And i love how you confuse ease of assembly with my ability to do unnecessary work. I sincerely believe that it doesn't matter what I do at this point, I could make the most gorgeous, smallest portable ever, but you will always have your mind set on deciding I am wrong because I was late in the game.
I have lost all faith in this board, its leading members are snobs that bully you if you make anything that challenges their "excellence"
The amount of hatred coming from this forum is quite incredible, I am done with this place

mesojdm said:
I have lost all faith in this board, its leading members are snobs that bully you if you make anything that challenges their "excellence"

pretty arrogant for someone who didn't cut the board or relocate the cart slot.

SS
Maybe I am completely off with the entire concept altogether, maybe this will crash and burn upon launch, only time will tell and I do not care in the slightest if it does. I have failed many times and it has been a much greater learning experience than when I succeeded. I spend my time on projects that I can put my heart into, and only hope that others see that. I will move on to other projects in time when my interests eventually move on and hope that I can inspire some people along the way with even my failed attempts. But I have always held myself to being genuine, nice, and extremely supporting of others who are trying their best to get somewhere or accomplish what I already have. If anything I can take away that fact after I have moved on..
you will continue to be a douche

Kickback said:
pretty arrogant for someone who didn't cut the board or relocate the cart slot.

Not trying to be arrogant in the slightest, not even talking about my portable specifically, talking about the nature of comments on this site altogether. See my first thread for reference

I don't see why there is all the hate. As a portable, this is very good for a first. So he didn't chop it into oblivion, it still plays games and looks good.

However, I see the kit idea failing, which is what I assume most people are still hating on.

I think most of us can agree, the portable is good, kit idea is bad. But hey, its your money, if you want to make kits, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back