N64 Portable in an XL Soft case

How do you plan on fitting the controls/wiring in there? You'd have to deepen the case.

Go with your original idea and put a small cover on the back. I really liked that.

And you're not ripping my case off! :p

It's an excellent idea. You've inspired me to make another N64p. This time in an XL Soft Case! (If you don't mind me stealing your idea... ;)

Your diagram implies you could almost fit your whole portable in the width of an n64 cartridge. Don't know much about n64s but i doubt you can make it.. And don't forget bout them wires, they take up space in a portable

Sadly and I don't wanna p!ss on your fire to much, but you're never get it all in a original XL soft case and that's from someone that has made several N64p from the XL case already.

As several others have pointed out, controller wiring and wires in general will be your down fall in getting it all to fit. You MAY get it all in if you ditched the battery and made it run off wall power...maybe?

However, prove us wrong ;)

Hello again everyone I am sorry that I haven't posted much recently as I have been moving house. However before I moved I got some work done and have now got a chance to post about it. After seriously considering the feat I was trying to accomplish I decided to give in and extend the case, to do this I cut straight down the middle of the centre section of the case. I then used 10mm of a spare centre to extend it. This means I can have the cartridge slot internal and still have space for wiring, batteries and maybe some larger heat sinks. Unfortunately I cannot get pictures at the moment however I will get some uploaded as soon as possible.

Thanks

Hi everyone sorry its been a while (if you cared). Here are some pictures of my case
oudpt.jpg

6GHkT.jpg

qOnLG.jpg

H6KGf.jpg

lBND3.jpg

9N0gk.jpg

Here you can see how I have extended the mid section and redone the back so the catridge is completely internal.

I have been experimenting with my N64 and have been removing capacitors to see what works. I have managed to get a few off however when I removed C25 and C26 I found that I had no audio, with a capacitor or a bridge connected the audio returned and I figured it wouldnt matter because I will be wiring audio on a different place on the board and I will bypass them. The problem I have is that when C128 is removed the N64 doesnt boot at all and no amount of bridging can solve it, the N64 will only boot with this capacitor in. I find this odd because in guides and pictures that I have seen this capacitor has been removed with no apparent problems.

Anyway now that I have moved house successfully I should be able to continue with this project at a good pace. Expect some updates!

P.S. If anyone could assist me on the capacitor thing I would be very grateful however it is not too important as I can just relocate the capacitor.

I hope to keep to true N64 style on this, therefore I plan to have it finished in the dark purply grey of the N64 case and also have all the buttons in the correct colours. Thanks for the replies also.

Pushing a necrobump here. I apologize. Anyway I have finished this portable as I entered it for a school project so it needed finishing quickly so I used a lot of hot glue and quickly finished it off.
20130318200303.jpg

The power button is hanging out like that as I didnt have any suitable transistors to put my smaller switch in at the time. The battery life is 1 hour 35 minutes on 7.4v 2000mAh batteries.

I like it! The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the written "Nintendo 64", but hey, its a working N64p! I really like the L style layout! Congratulations!

Back