N64 Portable in an XL Soft case

HardOtto

I am building an N64 Portable in an extra large OKW Soft case which will be a challenge but I have lots of free time and I feel my soldering skills are up to a RCP wiring. Anyway on to the pictures...

scaled.php

I experimented with mount the cart slot on the back. Th is method works quite well and provides support for both the cartridge and the connector.

scaled.php

I have dropped the cart slot into the case as (without spacers) I am unable to completely submerge it into the case. I felt this was the best compromise.

scaled.php

And yes an N64 does fit in (just).

You can go smaller than that on the board. I've cut all but 6 or 7 caps off before, and Bud has confirmed it to work, I think. Don't quote me on that though. :p

That means an L case is a possibility? Though you'd have to relocate the U8 so you could cut more or the bottom off.

Nice! Your struggle to get controller and batteries, screen all the wire in there with it being that thin though.

OKW XL Softcase extended:
IMG_0309.jpg

I could go thinner but as I don't have direct access to cheaper Lipo batteries (live in UK) it has to be this size to take lion cells instead. It's still quite a squeeze.

Mind posting a picture of the section you'd like to cut off? One with drawn cut lines would be preferable.

n64smdcapacitors.jpg

These ones. On the underside of the board below the AV Port I think one is labeled C16 commonly used for video on trimmed boards?

Hey thanks for the interest I hope you dont feel that I am ripping off your case. Anyway... progress wise I have decided that I want to have the cartridge completely internal, which, with a copper sheetsink rams swap and jumper pak reverse engineer and removing all the capacitors that I can and relocate any others, should be possible. I can drw it up on the Soft Case mechanical drwing if you want.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have decided to mount the cartridge completely internally. Here is a diagram.
n64softcase.jpg

If anyone wants anything explaining just ask.

Back