My upgraded nes

Drakon

Current specs on my improved system:

Outputs clean rgb, s-video, composite video from the multi av jack on the back (uses ntsc snes av cables)

Has a very advanced audio circuit that increases the bass and creates pseudo stereo sound. Also properly mixes in the audio from japanese games that have advanced audio chips.

Has a chip swapped that makes the powerpak run on the system. Also has the nes to famicom adapter modded to included the extended audio from the powerpak mixed into the system audio circuit.

System is a top loader and is region free

Here's my demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v7e-bjB13s&feature=player_embedded

:awesome:

Are there any pictures of the actual mod? I looked on your site and couldn't find any.

XCVG said:
Are there any pictures of the actual mod? I looked on your site and couldn't find any.

All the below pictures are on threads in my forum here:

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/index.php

here's the av famicom pcb before I do anything to it:

revision2pcbtop.jpg

Here's the pcb after I add all the necessary mods:

everythingwiredup.jpg

pcballwiredbottom.jpg

Here's the system all put back together:

complete15.jpg

I would make a guide on this how to do this mod but there's just a few things stopping me from doing that...

1: I use a kit custom ordered from japan, you need to use a proxy company to order these kits since the seller website is all in japanese

2: The custom kit I use has all the assembly instructions in japanese

3: Assembling the kit takes a lot of skill, surface mount soldering isn't for beginners

4: Removing the chips from the av famicom pcb isn't easy and also take a lot of skill. The top of the av famicom pcb is masked so if you break a trace that connects on the top then you can't see where the pin is supposed to go.

5: This mod requires playing around with a lot of expensive/rare hardware

XCVG said:
What is the kit and what does it do?

system before and after the kit pcb is installed

revision2pcbtop.jpg

everythingwiredup.jpg

pcballwiredbottom.jpg

Here's a picture showing the different parts of the kit

customkitparts.jpg

The rgb output from the rgb ppu chip is far from ready to go into a tv. The sync is unstable, the picture is super dark, and the chip only outputs rgb. This kit cleans up the sync, and sends the rgb and cleaned up sync into a cxa1645m which amps the picture and converts the amped image into clean rgb, s-video, and composite video. Also the left half of the kit pcb contains a seperate audio circuit. On the av famicom you cut a lot of traces from the original audio circuit and wire everything into the kit and the kit does its own audio mixing and amping. You wire up the audio outputs from the cpu, you cut the traces from the audio input and output on the catridge connection and wire those into the kit, and you cut the traces to the audio outputs on the multi av port and wire the kit to those pins.

Drakon said:
3: Assembling the kit takes a lot of skill, surface mount soldering isn't for beginners

4: Removing the chips from the av famicom pcb isn't easy and also take a lot of skill. The top of the av famicom pcb is masked so if you break a trace that connects on the top then you can't see where the pin is supposed to go.

WTF? There are a LOT of people here with a LOT of skill. It's always been an expensive hobby to have, nearly everyone accepts that fact and doesn't complain. If you don't feel like putting a guide together, just say you don't. No need to make assumptions that make you sound like a dick.

That said, nice work on the mod. The end result looks great.

Tibia said:
Drakon said:

WTF? There are a LOT of people here with a LOT of skill. It's always been an expensive hobby to have, nearly everyone accepts that fact and doesn't complain. If you don't feel like putting a guide together, just say you don't. No need to make assumptions that make you sound like a dick.

haha thanks. Last time I posted my work here people just kept complaining about it and accused me of soldering the expensive rare rgb ppu straight to the system even though you could see it was sitting in a socket. I was also told that using lots of hot glue was going to cause a short circuit.....that experience really made it look like people here have no idea what they're talking about. Anyway to build one of these systems you want to order one of these kits here:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/ProductsList.html

■ NEWファミコン マルチAV化キット2
 1キット 8000円(送料・振替手数料は別途) 

I order them right now using the sutocorp buying service

http://sutocorp.com/buyingservice/

Then after that point just follow all the japanese instructions and assemble and mod accordingly.

The caps and resistors all come in the same bag and the instructions tell you which ring colour combos on the resistors mean which strength. Unfortunately this is all written in chinese characters. Here's the instructions converted to english:

resistortranslation.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was able to figure the rest out without needing any translation

The instructions included with the kit tell you all the mods that're necessary on top of assembling the kit yourself. This kit takes care of the video and audio upgrades.

To make the rgb system powerpak compatible I did the mod discovered in this thread here:

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/view...&start=0&sid=2d0b25a4953b33e66910773f7a918103

Long story short you just need to desolder the HD74LS373P or whatever 74LS373 chip is in there and solder in a 74HC373AP chip.

I ordered 10 of these 74HC373AP chips from utsource (just google it) they accept paypal and they specialize in letting you order small quantities of electronics. I've now done this mod on 4 systems and it turns garbled powerpak graphics on your rgb system into a fully working powerpak

also if you do these mods on a nes 1, 2, or famicom model 1 you will get video jailbar interference showing up on the screen. Worst case scenario it would look something like this:

hpim0927.jpg

These kits are designed specifically for the AV famicom because the av famicom pcb has greatly reduced "jailbar" interference. I built a rgb nes before working on av famicoms and sure enough I got the video interference. I was told from other people who've rgb modded other systems besides the av famicom that they have jailbars on their systems too so I'm assuming it's the same situation with other models. I even heard that the twin famicom has jailbar interference when you rgb mod the system.

That should be all the information you need to make one of these machines yourself ;)

Tibia said:
Drakon said:

Coming from someone who completely failed at led backlight modding a gamegear :dahroll:

doug said:
Tibia said:
Drakon said:

Coming from someone who completely failed at led backlight modding a gamegear :dahroll:

since when did tibia ever fail an led backlight mod on a game gear? she's like the first person to document the process and success of it.

duh. get your facts straight - http://tibia-mod.dreamwidth.org/486.html

also, this is really a great mod to an nes. very nicely done too!

Drakon said:
That should be all the information you need to make one of these machines yourself ;)

Thank you for that information. Improving my NES is on my future projects list, I'm bookmarking for future reference.

@ J.D.: Yeah, sort of back. Unemployed and preparing to move, but also working on a few little things.

lovablechevy said:
doug said:
Tibia said:
Drakon said:

since when did tibia ever fail an led backlight mod on a game gear? she's like the first person to document the process and success of it.

uhh since i paid her for an led modded gamegear and had to redo the mod the same day cuase it was horrible?

lovablechevy said:
doug said:

also, this is really a great mod to an nes. very nicely done too!

Thanks for the nice comment! I have a lot of respect for doug he does really know what he's talking about we've helped each other with many projects. He's been more helpful to me than any other modder I've ever met. I think doug was angry that tibia called me a "dick". Atleast she complimented my work so it didn't bother me so much.

Tibia said:
Drakon said:

Thank you for that information. Improving my NES is on my future projects list, I'm bookmarking for future reference.

@ J.D.: Yeah, sort of back. Unemployed and preparing to move, but also working on a few little things.

Yeah I first did the video mod to a nes and you get jailbar video interference that looks something like this:

hpim0927.jpg

I got the image looking better than this on my rgb nes but no matter how good I got the picture to look on my rgb nes the rgb AV famicom still always looked 10x better. The AV Famicom is the only model of the nes or famicom that has an improved pcb that reduces jailbars. The only other exceptions might be the sharp famicom titler and the sharp c1.

Back