My 3rd n64 portable WIP

ToastBucket said:
Approximately the same size as the Toasty64 (I should finish that I guess) but a bit thinner. Prolly due to no internal cart slot.
Are you sure? I think mine is smaller than yours.
scaled.php

I can't fit a board in unless I do the alternative to rcp.

IMG_20120909_1107111.jpg

ModRetro, the only place in the world where men fight over who's is smaller.

:trollface:

I'm almost finished with my case. The only thing left to do is drill speaker holes but I haven't received my speakers yet.

IMG_20120912_214536.jpg

IMG_20120912_214544.jpg

IMG_20120912_214548.jpg

IMG_20120912_214556.jpg

IMG_20120912_214604.jpg

IMG_20120912_214614.jpg

IMG_20120912_214656.jpg

Looks nice but I don't understand why you'd put vents where your hands would cover them.

bud said:
Looks nice but I don't understand why you'd put vents where your hands would cover them.
Yeah I don't know why I did that :oops:
oh well, it won't hurt anything.

Life of Brian said:
bugman said:
bud said:
Yeah I don't know why I did that :oops:
oh well, it won't hurt anything.
Ventilation. My hands get sweaty as Heck whenever I play, y'know, intense games. I like it!
Yes. I get sweaty hands when I play video games too. When I play video games at friends houses, they never want to trade off controllers with me because the controller gets soo wet. I guess more ventilation the better :)

I got my speakers today. Unfortunetly the package only came with one speaker and I'm positive the listing says 2. I will have to work something out with the seller or buy from somewhere else. But 1 speaker is enough to make speaker holes. I will finish up the case tonight probably and I got some paint today too. I went with blue. I have to buy a new n64 board as well and trim it because I sold the board I was using for this project.

Those vents are almost exactly the same as the ones on the fierce64, and even though it's where your hands are, it's better than no vents. I don't know about this portable, but on mine I couldn't put them on the top because of the cart slot, the bottom because of buttons, and they would be useless on the back since the batteries almost completely covered it. Besides, your hands don't cover the vents all the way, so you still get a good amount of ventilation.

Also, this thing looks sexy, keep up the great work :D

Batteries!

My mom thought it was a bomb lol
IMG_20120928_223535.jpg

That's tight!
IMG_20120928_223457.jpg

Anyway... I need to get some more spray paint and I'd figure I'd give superglue a try. I think i need some more epoxy. I'm aiming at using absolutely no hotglue this time. I'm really hoping I can close this up in 2 weeks. All I need to do is finish painting and put everything inside. Oh yeah, and I dont have a 3rd party controller yet:( but who needs those?

ShadesEdge said:
Cool! :awesome:
Can't see how it will end :D
as of right now, its not ending really well :(
I realize that I suck at spray painting. I put too much on today and it became a drippy mess and I was suppost to finish it with the final coat today but not anymore. I'm watching some how to spray paint vids now and I need to buy some more paint too since I ran out today. Pics after I finish painting.

WOOHOO!!! Justs needs a clear coat and i can start putting it together!
IMG_20121011_195035.jpg

Trimmed motherboard. I still need to bend the board by the cartridge slot, but that shouldnt take too long.
IMG_20121011_194916.jpg

Everything is in the case and wired up except for the analog stick. I bought an atmega chip from ashen that converts the signals from a 1st party controller into something that the 3ds stick can use. It is partially complete now, meaning I can only play games that use just the dpad like kirby because I dont have an analog stick yet. I havent put the analog sick in yet because I dont know the orientation of it and I have to wait for the chip from ashen.

I like having the cartridge sticking out at a 90 degree angle because it makes for a nice stand for the portable. This portable is a really tight fit, I can only close it up if I squish the 2 halves together. I know this isn't a good idea, but what ever. This will be finished pretty much as soon as I receive the chip from ashen.

IMG_20121021_1631131.jpg

IMG_20121021_163119.jpg

IMG_20121021_163234.jpg

nuke said:
That is sexy!
Thanks. I think the outside looks great, but I'm a little disappointed in myself on how messy the wiring is on the inside though. All I need is a new 3ds stick that I bought today and I can call this finished! I think my 3ds stick I have now is faulty because the x axis has really low range and it should be perfect because I'm using an atmega chip from ashen.

Back