My 3rd n64 portable WIP

Here's my case so far. I only have made one half because I haven't settled on a thickness yet. It will be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches.

I epoxied in the vent holes from the n64 console
IMG_20120808_123656.jpg

IMG_20120808_123705.jpg

Here it is compared to my gameboy advance64. It is about an inch smaller in all directions. The dimensions are 5.5 x 3.75 inches.
IMG_20120808_123633.jpg

Change of plans. I'm going to be using an sl-68 case from polycase because I think the result will look much more professional. The dimensions are a tiny bit bigger than my original case so it will be easier to fit the mobo inside and the controls will be less crowded. The cartridge slot will be sticking out the back like this portable.
549984_383846764980968_100000669446483_1237540_835181398_n.jpg

I'm still planning on using a 3ds slider though. I'm thinking about using the nes a b buttons as long as it will match the color of the case which I haven't decided yet.

If I want batteries to go in the portable, I will have to add a spacer, but I bet I could fit everything inside except the batteries without modifying the case.

The dimensions of the sl-68 are 4 x 6 x 1.5 inches.

I made an image of my new design and all of the parts are to scale. I experimented with different colors.

n64minirev2.jpg

n64minirev2blue.jpg

n64minirev2yellow.jpg

n64minirev2green.jpg

n64minirev2purple.jpg

n64minirev2redish.jpg

I really like the reddish color. I'm open to suggestions though. If anyone can think of a name for this portable that would be cool. I thinking about SL-64 since it uses an sl-68 case.

Has anyone ever bought anything from dealextreme? I bought the ds case and a 3ds slider exactly 2 weeks ago and they haven't showed up yet. I'm a little worried.

bugman said:
Has anyone ever bought anything from dealextreme? I bought the ds case and a 3ds slider exactly 2 weeks ago and they haven't showed up yet. I'm a little worried.

t takes 6-8 weeks to get anything from dealextreme. That free shipping means it comes on a boat, no joke.

hailrazer said:
bugman said:

t takes 6-8 weeks to get anything from dealextreme. That free shipping means it comes on a boat, no joke.
That makes sense. I'm defiantly not going to choose free shipping next time. This means I probably won't have a big update for a while because it might be a while before I get the dx supplies.

Big update:
I decided To make a new vacuum forming table rather than using the sl-68 because I want the portable to be a little bit smaller than that. I had to make a new table because my old one didn't work very well.
Here's my new vacuum table that I made last week.
IMG_20120822_212658.jpg

I vacuum formed it today with a mold I already had around. Now that I know it works fine, I can make the real mold.
IMG_20120826_103338.jpg

The plastic pinched around the corners but as you can see, when I cut the plastic, it doesn't affect me.
IMG_20120826_111455.jpg

The new portable will look like this. Everything in the picture is to scale but The colors may change.
n64record.jpg

W00gala said:
Looking good! :awesome:
Thanks!

The first try I did the other day with the table, I heated the plastic for about 30 minutes on 300f. It seems like a lot, but it only sagged about 4 inches. Today, I cranked up the heat to 375f and the plastic was ready in about 10 minutes. I even made a new frame to hold the plastic since the old one didn't sit flat. The corners are still pinching a little bit. That won't affect me for this portable because it is going to be pretty slim, but for thicker and bigger portables, it will be an issue. My goal and dream is that my vacuum table can produce something like this
IMAG0759.jpg

^Those corners are perfect!!
Maybe I should buy my plastic somewhere else next time? I bought my .08" plastic from here http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883

This corner issue is really bugging me!!!

I did 3 batches tonight and once I cut the plastic to size, I will choose the best 2 to use. Instead of having the plastic squished between two frames, I had 1 frame and I stapled the plastic to it. There's atleast 50 staples per sheet. I perfected my staple removing technique so well that I can remove a staple in less than 3 seconds :)
IMG_20120828_222408.jpg

IMG_20120828_222353.jpg

IMG_20120828_225005.jpg

IMG_20120828_225010.jpg

IMG_20120828_225014.jpg

It looks like you're turning the vacuum on and then putting the plastic down. Leave the vacuum off until you've got the plastic settled on the former. That might help some.

bud said:
It looks like you're turning the vacuum on and then putting the plastic down. Leave the vacuum off until you've got the plastic settled on the former. That might help some.
I guess it won't hurt to try that next time.

In addition to that, you might want to add some pieces of wood directing your plastic when you put it on the mould.. Having the plastic fall down completly vertically suppresses that effect on the corners for me.. Also having a very very hot plastic, and raising the mould on the table with coins or scrap plastic.

After some trial and error. I perfected my vacuum forming technique a little better. I chose the 2 best plastic forms I had and cut them to size. The dimensions are about 5 2/8 x 4 x 1 5/8. The thickness is bound to change once I know how thin the portable can be. The motherboard fits in the case fine too. The case is really small and comfortable too.

IMG_20120830_163345.jpg

IMG_20120830_163357.jpg

I cut my screen hole out and I cut the peices from the ds lite case that I'm going to use. I placed the buttons where they belong on the case to get a feel for the system. The dimensions are 100mm x 135mm x 40mm. But the thickness is most likely going to change once I start putting things inside. I'll start frankencasing things in pretty soon once I pick exactly where the buttons will go. The motherboard fits good in the case.

IMG_20120903_131739.jpg

IMG_20120903_124526.jpg

Big update: I frankencased everything in and just primed it now. I can't get over how small it is going to turn out! I bought some small tact switches and bread board. I'm buying the screen now. I can't decide on a final color. I'm thinking matte black, white or green.

IMG_20120904_202833-1.jpg

EDIT: Second coat
IMG_20120904_215957.jpg

My portable is nice and smooth now and is ready for a final coat after a drill a few small holes for tacts or volume, speaker holes, start, on/off, and the bumper buttons. Well, I guess I have a lot to do before final coat, but I'm almost there.

Are these good speakers to use? How big are they? Does anybody know the diameter of them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390136496036?ss ... 1423.l2649

Thats looking pretty nice man, and tiny too!

Those speakers are what I use for everything. Should be fine. They're nice and flat.

Ashen said:
Thats looking pretty nice man, and tiny too!

Those speakers are what I use for everything. Should be fine. They're nice and flat.
Okay good. I'll get them later. They are cheap too.

The case is almost done. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what color I should paint this?

Approximately the same size as the Toasty64 (I should finish that I guess) but a bit thinner. Prolly due to no internal cart slot.

Back