modding PS2 slim 3pin fan question???

LOCtronicz

Formerly known as zenloc
I'm using a ps2slim 3pin fan for my new GC portable. Now what I need to know is how to use it. This is teh one I'm using. It runs on 8.5v at 0.04A. Putting in more voltage makes it spin faster and less spin slower.

2rqlfo0.jpg

xd10o.jpg

It has three pins:

1. V input (red)
2. Ground (black)
3. PWM signal to control the fan speed (white) or Sense I don't know exactly

Now just connecting V input and ground it won't work. It needs a signal to start. The white line has something to do with it. I have ben searching but I haven't been able to find a concrete circuit that will make it work.

I found a datasheet of a chip similar to the one found in this fan which controls the speed (LB11966M - 2-phase Half-Wave Driver):
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 1966M.html

Can anybody shed some light on this matter??

When in doubt, you can always just run your power directly to the motor and bypass the circuitry entirely. That would mean that you would either have the fan running all the time, or have it on a switch or pot. Probably a more clumsy solution than what you'll come up with, but it's an option. :D

I think it's a brushless fan, which means that won't work. Also, try pulling the white wire high (5V) or low.

Or you could just bridge the positive and sense lines together.... Just a suggestion. I have a fan like that that I got from a ps2slim and I just bridged the sense and positive lines and it worked great for me.

I bridged the lines but nothing happend. Also when I connect to it directly it works but I need to jump start it to spin. Meaning I have to puch is to make it spin. Otherwise it doesn't do anything.

Are there no other options??

I would think that adding a fairly large capacitor would give it enough power to get it moving.

Try grounding the sense line. It may sound odd, but it worked on this one brushless DC fan from an old computer that I was toying with a while back.

Back