Memory card issue "object inserted cannot be used"

kill00man

Hi,
well nearly everything is in the title. I wired up my memcards today. The integrated one works nicely, while the slot B one (external) doesn't work at all. I have some "The object inserted in slot B cannot be used" error and then "An error as occured please turn off your gamecube etc." This error only happens when I put a memcard in slot B.

I'm 99.99% sure of my wiring... Slot B wire length is about 15cm (6") and awg 28.

Any idea?
Thanks

Done and done.
Well I got fed up, wired up an sd gecko with "mem card adapter support" (int pin soldered). Still not working... This is really upsetting me.
Wire length is only 1inch longer than for the A slot which works.

Here's my wiring.
p28j.png

Copper is enameld and there is no short (checked it 30 times at least).

Any ideas ?

Wire length on memcard slots on some motherboards is super critical. I've had some boards that I had to keep the wires to like 2" or less for it to work properly.

Well I'll try to make it super tiny... Back in 1 hour

EDIT : well....... it gets a little better.........
So wire length is about 2.5" (memcard A around 5"). Memcard A still works, memcard B tell me "do you want to format that memcard", I think "dafuq, it is already formatted and I have saves in it" -insert brainf*ck here- I say "yes", it answer "this memcard cannot be formated" and then "object inserted in slot B cannot be used"
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
GAMECUBE, WHY DON'T YOU HAVE LOGIC ????

Edit edit : I'm having lots of "an error as occured please turn off your nintendo gamecube" error... Sometimes it works perfectly but it is rare (I'd say 1 on 5)... Do you think I should begin to search for another cube to kill ?

I say get a new gamecube. If you cant figure out the memory card problem, it'll be less frustrating to start from scratch. Good luck.

Those are the exact same steps that happened to me. Formating does't change anything obvioulsy. Though my wiring was correct. Turns out my sense pin was wired wrong.

I'm still vouching for wiring. What else could it be? The mem card? Get a new cube if you can't find a solution. They are pretty common.

Edit : when it works 1 out of 5, is there something in the memcard? Can you actually write date on it ? (that's the ultimate test imo)

Well I'm on hollidays, so it will be hard to test every theory.

How do you wire sense pin with a sd gecko adapter ? I soldered sense pin from motherboard directly to 3.3V. Is it ok ?
i asked a friend to find me a rev a/b gamecube anyway.

I think the problem could come from the way I trimmed down the mobo ( a bit smaller than omgwtf)... I finded that cut 2 years ago and didn't really tested it out... I might have broken some needed traces.

Back