Li-Ion packs (w/protection circuits) in a series?

Kyosho

NOT KYO
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to power my PCp. I've got a 7.4v camcorder battery which consists of 6 Li-Ion cylindrical cells. It has its own protection circuit. I just place an order for a second one. I'm going to need a lot of amps to power this thing so 12 cells, though an insane amount, should be good. Anyways, I need to get 14.8v from them. But I was just thinking, can I put the two "packs" in a series? Each of them having their original protection circuits? I assume not. I assume the protection circuits would freak out and turn themselves off. But I'm not sure.

If that won't work, I'll need a protection PCB. This one would be good, right? I would then wire four groups of three cells in parallel according to their diagram, right? Even though the PCB is meant for 4 individual cells, it should still work, yes? Would I be right in assuming that would slow down charging time? Not that I have a choice really.

Yeah, you would need a new protection circuit. That PCB should do, and I don't think there would be any problems with wiring the cells in groups. I don't think it will slow down the charging time because of the PCB- it will be slow with most chargers because of the sheer capacity.

Back