In search of new screens

samjc3

#1 Female Member
Mostly, i was inspired to go on a search for new screens because VPgames, the eBay seller that has sold the new zenith screens for 46$ shipped forever is now down to less than five screens left. seeing as how they were the last steady supplier of psone screens, i decided to search for new screens that we can use.

(pustom/ 3.5" screens are not now included herein, if you think i should add them, yell at me and i will)

first, we have this:
5"
4::3:
$ 32-79 (usd), depending on quantity
dunno if its legit, i think palmer found it, so i'll await word from him.
http://goodlcd.en.alibaba.com/product/242554337-200598541/5_color_digital_LCD.html
5_color_digital_LCD.summ.jpg

heres one i hadnt seen:
4.3"
16:9
$50
looks good, i may buy one later this week. sadly, its widescreen, so it will stretch video for most consoles.
http://cgi.ebay.com/A-4-3-DIGITAL-L...ultDomain_0?hash=item4cedf8c23e#ht_2323wt_908
335089831_o.jpg

at the risk of using a cop out, instead of posting the 3 3.5" screens, im going to post this link to hailraizers GREAT guide.

thats all i have at the moment, help in the search, post what you find, and hopefully we can find a couple great screens!

I know AEI components has some screens of the right size. Second screen is 16:9, no good for retro portabilizing, MAYBE for WVIs or a WiiP. The first one looks promising. Do I see VGA input?

Also, I heard Palmer has found some screens for the ModRetro store. But since that'll probably never happen, we may never be able to get said screens.

XCVG said:
I know AEI components has some screens of the right size. Second screen is 16:9, no good for retro portabilizing, MAYBE for WVIs or a WiiP. The first one looks promising. Do I see VGA input?

Also, I heard Palmer has found some screens for the ModRetro store. But since that'll probably never happen, we may never be able to get said screens.
did i mention affordable? AEIcomp makes great screens, but they are way expensive, especially in larger sizes. also, the first one is the screeen palmer is looking at for the store. ;)

Oldewindmill said:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33271
If you have the 90 bucks for it, take this one if you want a nice widescreen. Otherwise, go for the one you already posted. cheaper.
That's my opinion, keep in mind I'm a modding novice.
widescreen is useless. none of the consoles we portablize do full widescreen. anyway, there are better cheaper seven inch screens out there. i am specifically looking for a good replacement for the psone screen, as it looks like the once vast troves of them are dwindling. :gonk:

PS2 can do widescreen, as can wii.

Both have been/are being portablized.

And that's great for a ps3/360 WVI as well.

i know. but not all ps2 games do widescreen, so, on that particular screen, some would be stretched. i have a switchable 4::3:/16:9 screen that is slotted for a ps2 portable. as for wii, its a flaxty console, so it doesnt matter. and, as i said, i specifically am looking for a good successor to the psone screen.

(pustom/ 3.5" screens are not included herein, if you think i should add them, yell at me and i will)
CAN YOU ADD THE PUSTOM/3.5" SCREENS PLEASE?

Yeah I know, but you nearly gave me a heart attack when I heard there were no more cheap zeniths left. I'm really starting to like the 3.5 inch screens a lot more.

PSone screen is pointless if that one sam linked turns out good, and palmer starts the mr store, as it has a smaller board etc. etc.

But for teh noobies, psone is well documented in case of problems.

But I really do have hope for the new mr screens. Also, I think screen #1 from hail's screen review is the perfect screen for the price. $40 shipped, and has very similar quality to the psone screen.

the biggest issue with the 3.5" screens is that they are 3.5". dont get me wrong, i love em, but they are a bit small for the bigger consoles. i certainly hope the new 5" works out. it would be amazing.

samjc3 said:
zeturi said:
Yeah, not sure about the other guy, but this one still sells zenith screens for 43 shipped. More than ten available. http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-PS2-Portable-5 ... 563576e7cb

For when the link expires, the name of the seller is gameznetwork, and the name of the store is Gamez Network Gaming Lounge
huh. not seen that before. but still, the psone screen is pretty much outdated at this point. :dahroll:
What do you mean?

That Alibaba screen is legit. They come out to like $90 shipped each, though, if you only order 2. I am planning on buying at least 10 to resell with little/no profit in May, sell them early June, hopefully under $60 shipped.

They are double the resolution of the PSone screen, eat less power, are already LED backlit, are extremely thin (On par with all those 3.5" screens), and the driver board fits entirely behind the LCD, with spare room left over. As screen tech advances, I cannot be sure that the PSone LCD which has served well for so long will be worth using anymore.

PalmerTech said:
That Alibaba screen is legit. They come out to like $90 shipped each, though, if you only order 2. I am planning on buying at least 10 to resell with little/no profit in May, sell them early June, hopefully under $60 shipped.

They are double the resolution of the PSone screen, eat less power, are already LED backlit, are extremely thin (On par with all those 3.5" screens), and the driver board fits entirely behind the LCD, with spare room left over. As screen tech advances, I cannot be sure that the PSone LCD which has served well for so long will be worth using anymore.
I disagree, sorta. The PSOne screen has it's purposes and it does a good job at those. It's thin, relatively small, accepts a variety of inputs (the pal one at least), is well documented and of excellent quality. It may not be as good as the other one but is good for our purposes. I ought to agree that tech advances, but that's really more transistor stuff. Screens are almost mechanical (not really, but you get my point) - and mechanics advance extremely slowly, while transistors are steadily getting smaller and smaller. As such - the advances in screen technology are limited.
The PSOne screen was unique in that it's special intended use coupled with it's wide variety of general uses, if willing to hack it made a high-end product readily available to tinkerers for a very affordable price. Finding something comparable is easier than in the past, but still not a piece of cake.

Naturally what I'm saying isn't that we should all stick with the PSOne screen, I'm just saying that it still has it's place, and will keep it, for now at least.

Kyo said:
I disagree, sorta. The PSOne screen has it's purposes and it does a good job at those. It's thin, relatively small, accepts a variety of inputs (the pal one at least), is well documented and of excellent quality. It may not be as good as the other one but is good for our purposes. I ought to agree that tech advances, but that's really more transistor stuff. Screens are almost mechanical (not really, but you get my point) - and mechanics advance extremely slowly, while transistors are steadily getting smaller and smaller. As such - the advances in screen technology are limited.
The PSOne screen was unique in that it's special intended use coupled with it's wide variety of general uses, if willing to hack it made a high-end product readily available to tinkerers for a very affordable price. Finding something comparable is easier than in the past, but still not a piece of cake.

Naturally what I'm saying isn't that we should all stick with the PSOne screen, I'm just saying that it still has it's place, and will keep it, for now at least.

Oh, it certainly still has a place, and is a good screen. That other screen takes Composite, Svideo, VGA, and with very little support circuitry, component. So yeah, PSone screen is still good, but I doubt people will still be using them in a year or two, they only keep getting more expensive, and the better replacements are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Back