I need some guidance. (Selling stuff)

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
Well, for a long time now I've had a desire to sell stuff. (Not on eBay, mind you, but here, mostly.) It'd be a great way for me to get rid of unwanted or unneeded junk and make some money. But... well, I'm honestly not sure where to start. I do have a Paypal account, so receiving money is no problem, and I've read enough sale threads to know basically how they work, but shipping stuff is what's most complicated for me.

I know we have a lot of merchants here, so if any of you could help me out -- on any part of the selling process -- whether it's just a few tips or a complete walkthrough, I'd much appreciate it.

1.State item.
2.State price.
3.Find buyer.
4.Negociate payment and shipment.
5.Get paid.
6.Ship item.
7.????
8.PROFIT!!!

Just have a normal account and have them send money to you. There's a small fee, but it works out.

Actually, I'm pretty sure profit came in step 5 of your plan, Bud.

TW, I usually use whatever box I have that will fit what I'm shipping. I usually save boxes that other people have shipped to me, actually, so I can use them to ship things.
If you go straight to the post office, they will weigh your package, you pay the postage, and they ship it. Or, you can buy a flat-rate box. Insurance costs extra either way. Unfortunately, there is no delivery confimation.
Instead, my dad has an online account with UPS. He weighs the package himself, enters the info, and prints a paper he attaches to the package. The postage is paid online, and so is the insurance, optionally. The sweet thing is, UPS will pick the package up straight from your doorstep. They have a bit of a reputation for handling packages a little roughly, though. But I shipped my Sprocket64 with them and it arrived fine. Just make sure you package your stuff well.
Also, you provide your own boxes. That's my preference anyway. It saves money.

That's my eight bits. Hope it'll help ya'.

Put items in thread, have a buyer, put in a box, ship it. Basically bud's plan.

A few things:

Try and get payment before you ship, so as not to get scammed.

Decided whether you want to do prices shipped (shipping included in price) or Price plus shipping (payment for item, then later second payment for shipping once you know the cost)

Also, try to describe the item very well.

Get paid with paypal, buy and print the shipping label through paypal as well, tape it to your box (flat rate boxes are great for bigger things such as consoles and are 100% free to order from USPS online. For smaller things like games, self-adhesive padded envelopes are dirt cheap and really efficient), then just drop it off in the box at your post office, or schedule a free pickup.

USPS is cheaper, and usually offers better service than both UPS and FedEx from my experience.

Never ship internationally using UPS. The buyer will probably try to kill you.

Dont pay for shipping labels. Just type them up in Word/Openoffice/obscurelinuxwordprocessor

Bush said:
Dont pay for shipping labels. Just type them up in Word/Openoffice/obscurelinuxwordprocessor

You'd still have to pay for the postage. Which is why you just pay for the shipping through Paypal or USPS's site and print out the pre-paid label.

Always ship ASAP after getting paid. And always ship priority (or 3 day or express or what have you. no snail mail, unless specifically agreed on. just too slow.). Its not that much more, and everyone is happier.

Back