How to salvage video?

trevor403

Hey guys I started up my first GCp and ripped off the AV port but cut some traces, I've tried the AV pins and even the alternative pins pointed out in Ashens trimming guides, though not the pin on the AVE chip (U6) because my soldering is too bulky!

Heres the bad trace...
raspS.png

http://trevorrudolph.com/postt/rasp.png
http://trevorrudolph.com/postt/top.jpg

The board is awesome for modding because its IPL 1.1 and its a DOL-CPU-20 so I really don't want to scrap it! Is there any way I can fix this please let me know!

I just got $300 of spare money so i'll buy a finer soldering iron and a hot air blower... Anyways thanks!

Re: My portable beginnings and issues, help or look!

Just seeing my last image i realize that this may be all wrong! Subsequently i'm just gonna hook up scrap wires and probe each pin until I get it right, who needs online guides!

Just tested all the wires on the video out and I got nothing! I tried the alternative pin that Ashen pointed out in his motherboard trimming guide and not even that worked so I guess i have to hang it up a a failure! Ill just wait for the next GC coming in 2 days...

you probably connected to ground when you nicked those traces

I would try to fix that trace first. See if you can use a boxcutter to clean it up. Cut along the gap between the traces and try to force the copper apart. Also, some flux might be a good investment.

trevor403 said:
i'm gonna see if i have fine enough skills to solder to AVE chip...

Well my silder wont stick to the VIA and i'm too ADHD to focus on pin 9 so i cant to it...
Wonder is Ashen is still doing his soldering service... I talk too much

I just need composite for testing at the moment. I'm gonna do component later when I get the money and trim board and build a regulator! But I'm just starting and I need video for step by step progress.

that trace with the gash is s-video right?
double check...
if so, just cut the trace on the right side of the 11 silk print to isolate it in case its causing video issues...

but before doing that, make sure you solder composite and GND to your video cable and make sure you solder monitor GND to GC GND so you can electrically tie in the two systems together to common GND

Thats a Heck of a lot to do for a noob umm how do i cut a trace? I want to be safe thanks to the multiple layers on the board :D But I will get it done, Does it matter to have the GND connect back to the GC because i'm literally still using a mini TV. I haven't gotten my 7" TFT yet, i'm just testing! Thanks for the help btw

Zenloc showed us this gem, but the traces don't match up to my board...
http://i48.tinypic.com/eio7r.jpg

UPDATE
I used my multimeter to test the cut trace or the rasp'ed area as some might call it. And I was moving the probe to each pin and dropped the probe, it touched ground and beeped, so yea the trace is connecting to ground you were right!

trevor403 said:
Thats a Heck of a lot to do for a noob umm how do i cut a trace?

if you think thats a lot of work, maybe you should quit any modding plans you currently have
...and that pic of the sanded board is a PAL GC...lots of differences there at the video port

I never give up, ever. I Kent its a lot of work in that I had to look up what you meant by silk which was the under layer of the PCB and I had to find out how to cut the traces. I'm going home now and borrowing an exacto knife from a friend! But I will never give up. I may seem small to a legend like you but I have know how :D

Don't give up. Certainly don't. It's not like you're going to gain any experience or skill by doing nothing.

Boards can usually be saved until you start damaging the components themselves. In this case, it's a pretty easy fix. Be careful when you are opening up consoles or removing ports; that's when you wind up nicking traces. Just take your time. Not getting frustrated is the most important part. If something is stumping you, just put everything up and take a break. It will most likely come to you later or you'll find the info you need. Otherwise, you'll end up breaking a lot of parts, not learning anything new and digging yourself a nice big money pit.

Yea I understand the learning curve and I know fair well how many boards people go though while making portables. I will buy some desolder wick for next time :/ Anyways I love my new project and have 2 more cubes in the mail so I am still going alone! Hope they are IPL 1.1 or 1.2

Back