Trevor's GameCube7 GCp - Rethink

trevor403

Hello there guys, I'm kinda new to the community but I decided to start a work log now to avoid having to do so later. I'm making a GCp for the first time and have all my parts coming in, wiring them up one at a time. I may be a noob but I will try to make an awesome cube :awesome:

I was going to frankincase two GBA SP's together and extend the bottoms but it felt like It would be too much of a GC laptop. SO I kept the name and started modeling off a original GBA, pics in next post.

Well I got a beautiful DOL-11 mobo which means WASP (still in mail)! I think it is Rev B and IPL 1.1 :cool:

So to refrain from further delay, I present the pics!

Here was my case idea, read ahead
case.png

And I got some mail today so we get to do some 'test wiring' for the amp. Still waiting for the Kynar wire and epoxy, but I salvaged some USB wires!
iluv.jpg

ivul.jpg

Also got the IBM 380Z heatsink everyone talks about, but it has a vga sized pad and screw holes :cry: I have no idea how to mount it, or even remove the extra metal. I might buy heatsinks (40x40mm and 30x30mm) and fans to fit...
fan-f.jpg

fan-b.jpg

So lets get to some building? I started out the day with this
beginning.jpg

Then I wired up the amp to the regulator and video port
amp.jpg

This is my lovely work space (bedroom floor)
workspace.jpg

zoom.jpg

Heres a video of my amp in action:

The fan was so bad, I didn't have thermal paste to spare and it wasn't even on the board. The GC turned itself off after about 30 seconds. I need to find a way to remove some of the metal or use two separate higher profile fans with separate heatsinks.

But the audio works! You might be able to see my wire for the "audio fix" (5v to filter). This caused me 3 hours of testing before I remembered what I had seen in every single tutorial!

Anyways, this was all done with scrap usb wires and such so it is not pro, I am waiting for my other materials, like flux, epoxy, desolder wick, kynar wire, to come! Also I need to pick a screen. I'll post my case in a bit, I'm using Blender to model it. If you want high-res ill put them up, just ask! Thanks for reading!

Re: Trevor's CubeSP

Welcome and congrats on getting started on your portable. It's coming along! :)

Are you planning to use a gamecube disc drive or a wiikey fusion?

Re: Trevor's CubeSP

I was being too vague in the first post when I said it was IPL 1.1, I meant that i'm gonna be using modchips. Plus who wants to frankincase an entire disk drive :( But i bought two WASP Fusions from over seas at http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/ for my builds. :D

Hey so I had an idea that made me think a lot about this portable! I love the classic controllers and I wouldn't enjoy holding something so bulky as a portable. So I went on ebay and bought a 7 inch monitor which I'm putting into the portable!

I'm keeping the original memory ports and making a button to swap between external slot A and internal. Slot B will be a swap between sd gecko and external. I'll put separate buttons!

With the 7 inch monitor and memory card ports I'll also have the controller ports and a charge port. I need to find some really awesome batteries.

Anyways here are some parts that came today:

So sparkfun had a sale so i got some free stuff with my SD card reader for sd gecko.
reader.jpg

Got some prefboard when I still thought I was adding a controller, I can still use it.
pref.jpg

And I got some ribbon cable for wiring up the wiikey when it gets here.
ribbon.jpg

Also I went on ebay and got a 30x30mm and 40x40mm fan, heatsink and thermoelectric cooler. I don't know what combinations I should use to make this work well, I was thinking thermoelectric and heatsink or heatsink and fan. Maybe i'll even do all three haha

The case will be easy to make now that its just going to be a screen, gc, speakers and a big battery. Thanks and feel free to ask questions!

Back