How to remove Inverted Torx Nintendo screws.. (The big ones)

pkmnjunky7

EDIT: I can't figure out how to get the youtube video embedded. I did the whole " youtube]url here[/youtube " thing and it didnt work... (i removed the outside brackets just now so you can see it.. I did it with them there..)

I just made this video. Worked really really well. I was fed up with the stupid pen crap... (no offense to people who got that to work...)

PS: For all of you who are thinking to yourself "OMG HE SPELLED NINTENDO WRONG!!?!?! BBQ!!! I ARE TO CURRECT HIM NAO@!!",
just stop. I spelled it wrong on purpose, I don't want my video to get attention from youtube.. it could get pulled or something for containing info that could potentially help you mod your console. And dont think I'm crazy, I've had stuff pulled before... People can still find the video by typing nintendo because I put it in the tags..

That's a pretty good method. Never thought of it.

For me, when it's not very deep I just use pliers. The pen trick takes practice. Last time it took me like 10 pens to open an N64, this time it took 2 to remove one screw and I'm sure I could have used the pen driver again. The key is to not pull it out too soon.

Aha. Interesting idea, sir. I'll have to try that at some point. Also, you just want the video code, not the whole link. Here:

View it by hitting Quote to see what I mean.

the pen trick is pretty hit or miss. it works for gameboy games, but I've found that on the consoles I've tried, there was just too much torque on the screw and the pen just got torn up and stripped rather than working.

I say the easiest way is to just buy a e-torx bit. They're not that expensive, and they make your life so much easier.

I've opened up 2 N64's and 2 Gamecubes with a total of 15 of those pens. All you do is get it hot enough (not on fire) and then press it down on the screw (DO NOT MOVE IT). Leave it there and then wait about 10 seconds and turn the screw. Viola :)

I used three pens for my gc. but it took me more then my fair share of trys with just that one pen that gave me better result than the other two. it is better to let it set for ten seconds. but what also helps it to put alot of pressure down on the pen with ur palm, then twist.one draw back, I found that that usually works for two screws before the plastic gets f'd up again, then u have to put it under a fire once more.

Back