How to overclock your gameboy color.

Who doesn't? And Card Pop! But I know no one else who owns a GBC. :neutral: So it doesn't matter, but the port is awewsome, I don't have to cut a hole!

hi, im thinking on put the original and a new crytal in parallel with a selector switch, but, the change can be made while the sytem is running or it will crash?
thanks in advance.

kyoraku said:
hi, im thinking on put the original and a new crytal in parallel with a selector switch, but, the change can be made while the sytem is running or it will crash?
thanks in advance.

Well, the short answer is "no".
Basically it's hit or miss, sometimes it'll crash, sometimes it won't.
Most of the time? It will, more than likely.

I actually found a way to switch speeds using my socket method.

When the gameboy is on using the new crystal, take it out. The original crystal will kick in and you can play in normal speed. No to switch back to faster speed. Insert the crystal halfway so that the leads are sticking out a bit still. Make a connection between the leads. The gameboy will then freeze. Break the connection. The gameboy will be playing fast again. However, once in awhile glitching occurs in the game when switching back to fast, but I have only noticed problems in Oracle of Ages.

So basically if you want to change speeds easily with the socket method, you will want a small tact switch on the crystal.

^ no, I tried that :rofl: Doesn't work. It goes back to normal speed, but then it freezes when you use the tact.

If you find out how by using a datasheet for the CGB-CPU or MGB-CPU (whichever you use) and find the actual pin that controls the HALT function, you could simply halt the processor and then swap, like on the Sega Genesis.

Bibin said:
If you find out how by using a datasheet for the CGB-CPU or MGB-CPU (whichever you use) and find the actual pin that controls the HALT function, you could simply halt the processor and then swap, like on the Sega Genesis.

Is there an HCF pin too? Oh wait, that's an instruction...

Anyway, good luck finding a datasheet.

Hi!
I´ve tryed like themadhacker says and actually its works on gba for gbc games, I think it would be ok on gbc too.
But i discoverded 2 things:
1)If you push the change speed button you can run it lowly, really slowly and no crashes running gbc games
2)when running gba games, if you do the change, the game will crash, but if you retain the button pressed it will not and run slowly (like when gbc cart is used). So, the cristal at 8 mhz combined with the original is too much for gba, and maybe need a slowly cristal, i.e. another of 4 mhz or 6 mhz ( i didn´t tryed out) combined with te swich acting as a selector between 4 (gba) or 8 (gbc) crystals
Otherwise, I only save when the gba is running at normal speed. I dont try to save when is running faster and lose my saves, so I don´t know.

Here are pics, the firs one is for the circuit

The second one is the gba with the mod

0309091045.jpg

0309091048.gif

Thanks to Basement_Modder !!!

kyoraku said:
sorry for the links, actually, I don´t know how to upload images :S

You put the url's you posted in image tags like this:
Code:
[img]http://www.insert_picture_url_here.com[/img]

Hi guys, i made some experimentation with the gba running gba carts:

Bad news :(

I´ve tryed with 4 mhz crystal and it only speed down, but tried with an array of 8 and 4 and crashes again when switch

Good news :)
When you use only a 4 mhz crystal an change the speed the game not crashes anymore! course it will run slowly, but is safe for now.

In conclusion, i need to borrow some crystals around 5-7 mhz ( i hope fund them in my local store) and try it again.

For future ideas, i will put a triple switch so you can choose between 8 mhz(gb-gbc games) and 5-7 mhz(gba games)

Hi, I´m back with good news
Today i was finished the multiple speed selector on my GBA and works great!
But, there are some GBA games, dont work with the overclock mod (8 or 6 mhz, and i was using a ez flash iv)
Otherwise, all my GB-GBC games worked perfect
Basically, I desolder and re used the old crystal and putted a switch with 2 choses ; 4 mhz or overclock, and derivated that overclock wire to an other switch with a 8 and 6 mhz crystals (the last one is the only who worked fine with the GBA games, the other frezes my GBA)
And other thing: with the removal of the old crystal from the board, when you change the switch its change the speed! no more needed shortcut the wires to make it go and can be done in running system and no freze!
Well, i hope that will be useful for someone.
I cant upload any pics today, but maybe tommorrow. I promise

I know i'm not going to impress anyone bumping up a thread from 2009 (yeah sorry), but considering this is the only thread of its kind on the internet, this is one of the few chances i have for help (also my thread is not getting any replies).

So if you want to check out my thread, i would appreciate it
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12923&p=158701#p158701

Im obviously doing something wrong, and im not sure what. The circuit is wired up and nothing happens whether the switch is on/off, during the game, between restarts. The switch has continuity when turned on, but not through the entire circuit (havent tested with power). Im thinking maybe i've soldered to the original crystal incorretly, did i need to remove the ceramic black top? I left it intact and soldered to the two contacts on the inside close to the cPU.

Thanks

Back