How to overclock your gameboy color.

themadhacker

Crazy Train
This also works for other gameboys too.

Now, I am a very lazy person, so instead of retyping my entire tutorial, I am going to just post the instructables link.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Overclo ... Boy_Color/

Now, in case you would like to have more than one speed, you can add a switch to chnge speed. Or, as an alternative, you an add a socket onto your gameboy and just insert different mhz crystals.

Here is how to do those two methods.

SOCKET METHOD.

open up your gameboy. see those led sensor things? they were only used for a few games, so we are going to tear them out. get rid of the black cover too.
GBCdiagram.jpg

Now look on the edge of the crystal. there are two solder pionts to solder to. Next we get a 2 pin socket that snugly fits the leads of the crystals you want to use. fit it in the space where the LEDs and cover were. if there is any space left over you can fill it in with hot glue. Now solder a wire to each end of the socket's leads. The other end of the wires go to the crystal.
GBC.jpg

put it back together, put a game in, stick a crystal in the socket and turn on your gameboy. If you get bored of one speed you can take out the crystal or use ones of higher mhz. Keep in mind that this method does not work with underclocking.

SWITCH

As we did before, we are going to remove the LED sensors and cover. Now find a crystal with a suitable speed for you. Also, get a small switch that will fit in the space where the LEDs and cover were. As before, you can secure and fill in the gaps next to the switch with hot glue. Now solder a wire from one spot on the original crystal to the first point on the switch. Next solder a wire from th other spot on the original crystal and solder the other end to a lead on the new crystal. Lastly, solder another wire from the other lead of the new crystal to the second point on the switch. That's it. The picture following shows a good place for the new crystal.

GBCswitch.jpg

Now you're done. put the gameboy together, insert a game, and turn it on. Now turn it off, slide the switch, and turn it on again. If you completed the mod correctly, it should now be at a different speed.
Thanks for reading my tutorial.

I'd just like to add, if you're going to overclock an SP, 13.5mhz was the highest value that would boot up, higher than that the screen stayed white. :wtf:

themadhacker said:
I did not know that. Thank's drue.
Yeah, well, last winter I almost drove myself crazy trying to get a 20, 22, 24.564, and a 27 mhz crystal to over clock my gbasp, and nothing would work. Then I was cleaning and I found the project again, and soldered some of the crystals you gave me up and it worked :twisted: Of course, those are too big to fit anywhere in the sp so I ordered some small 12mhz ones off of ebay on friday :mrgreen:

They will fit if you grind the plastic.

Drue, add periods to your sig, please. I always use them, quotes of me should, as well. ;)

PalmerTech said:
They will fit if you grind the plastic.

Drue, add periods to your sig, please. I always use them, quotes of me should, as well. ;)
Too many characters, the punctuation comes out first ;) I've been going to edit anyway, you just reminded me :lol:

Wait... you can't overclock with the socket method? Why not? Or is that a typo.

Hey, sorry for the bump, but where can I get a crystal? Can I get one without taking it out of something?

N00BModdr said:
Hey, sorry for the bump, but where can I get a crystal? Can I get one without taking it out of something?
They may have 'em at radioshack

have fun trying to find them at mall shacks, thiough. I called to ask if they had any and they laughed at me. If you can't find some at radioshack then you could try ebay.

grossaffe said:
N00BModdr said:
They may have 'em at radioshack
I go to every radio shack I can find, and none of them have had 'em yet. Ebay is your friend, N00BModdr. And, crystals are in almost EVERYTHING take apart a broken n64 or ps2 and take a crystal off of that. Computer mobos, anything. If you desperately want one, I'll send you one. PM me.

I'm on mouser.com now, looking for a crystal to overclock my CGB, but there are a lot of filters... can someone tell me what I'm looking for? Here's the filters - Frequency, (which I know), Tolerance, Frequency Stability, Load Capacitance, Series, Operating Temperature Range, Package / Case, Dimensions, Termination Style, and Packaging.

What's the difference?
EDIT: I really should start examining things thouroughly before posting...
One is 10 and one is 16Mhz...

N00BModdr said:
What's the difference?
EDIT: I really should start examining things thouroughly before posting...
One is 10 and one is 16Mhz...

Right.
16Mhz is insane speed, and about all the CGB can handle.
But, it's hard to play, and really not fun for most games.

10Mhz is much more manageable, and is actually fun to play with.

jleemero said:
16Mhz is insane speed, and about all the CGB can handle.
But, it's hard to play, and really not fun for most games.

10Mhz is much more manageable, and is actually fun to play with.
I'll go with the 10, its even 1 cent cheaper! :pervert:

don't go for ten. Not fast enough. Go for 16. i have overclocked TONS of gameboys, and most are at 16 or 14. I would go for 14 if I had the crystal onhand, but since your only other option is 16, go for that. Games are still playable (well, tetris is really hard).

Back