How exactly do you encode videos on an AMD GPU?

Aguiluz

Long story short, someone I know sold me an AMD Radeon HD9770 for cheap, dropped it in my desktop, mined bitcoins with it (200MH/s via deepbit) and then played a game with it. Not really interested at all on PC gaming but I'd like to encode video on it.

So, how exactly do you encode video with the GPU?

I think you're talking about this stuff. I'm not too familiar with ATI (er..AMD) cards to be honest. But I've never heard of a 9770. Googling shows the 9700 came out in 2002. I would assume it's a derivative of it. I don't know how much a card from 2002 could help with video encoding. Perhaps you have the model number of your video card wrong?

Modern cards can, however, assist with encoding. I use Nvidia cards and CUDA is quite handy for speeding up encoding. Though only with certain formats. I assume the AMD (ATI ATI ATI!!1) cards are similarly limited.

I hope. If it really is a 9700 derivative then he definitely got ripped off.

To answer the original question: You must have video editing software that can take advantage of it. Virtualdub does CUDA so it probably can do that ATI thing too. Then you just, you know, encode in the proper format and it works. Might have to check that the option is turned on in the settings. But otherwise, yeah.

Correction, that is indeed a 6770. Otherwise I wouldn't be mining bitcoins at 200+MH/s. :p

I'm going to experiment with Virtualdub to see what happens. But as of now, keep them suggestions coming. :)

Back