Hot Glue, Bondo, Wtf???

3MZ

Hey I'm new to modding (obviously) and I have read quite a bit but I still am not sure if I should use hot glue or epoxy or bondo or whatever to fill in gaps in the case. Thanks to anyone who responds ;)

hot glu is for holding things. want your batteries to stay put? drizzle em in hot glue. epoxy is for holding things permanently, such as the sides of a case. and bondo is for spot filling. fill the hols, sand em. theres alternatives though, such as abs cement, and AIDs.

I use liquid ABS for attaching things. It's basically bits of case plastic dissolved in acetone. It can be made liquidy or almost a putty. It dries kind of weird, but it holds really well once it dries.

But if you're using ABS cement, you need to keep in mind that it's only for adhesion and cannot be sanded smooth and usually has a filler over it.

Jidan said:
But if you're using ABS cement, you need to keep in mind that it's only for adhesion and cannot be sanded smooth and usually has a filler over it.

Bull Puckey. I use it as a filler all the time. It can too be sanded smooth.

Black spot to the right is filled with ABS and sanded smooth.
Photo171-1.jpg

I'll post a pic when I'm done painting tonight, but it sanded down beautifully.

Really? Definitely not what I've heard nor does it match my experiences, but I'd love to see it :) Does it have many holes in it when you're done?

Homemade abs cement has potential for tons of air bubbles, which is why it larger amount it's going to need some filling.

Ah, so that's for a small repair. Definitely a different story with bigger applications but good to know that it works for things like that. Awesome :)

actually, liquid abs simply requires more patience than many have. anything is possible with it. large applications and small applications. it is very similar to epoxy putty in that respect. many just don't like to put the time needed to make it look perfect.

Dude, size doesn't matter at all. Large repairs, small repairs, whatever. If I was frankencasing something, I'd be painting the whole Dang thing in liquid ABS and sanding it out. Thin, very liquid layers thinly applied, and some sanding, and you can make it look factory smooth.

Huh, didn't know that. I always figured that the air holes would cause it to not be able to be suitable for anything like that and it's always happened like that for me. Great to know :D

It all comes down to how hard you work to make it pretty. That goes for anything: ABS, bondo, epoxy, even paint. I've put nearly a dozen coats on one case, I've been sanding between each one. The end result is very nice, it's totally worth the work.

Tibia said:
It all comes down to how hard you work to make it pretty. That goes for anything: ABS, bondo, epoxy, even paint. I've put nearly a dozen coats on one case, I've been sanding between each one. The end result is very nice, it's totally worth the work.

agreed - perfection takes time. ;) but in the end, it is soooooooo worth it!

Back