Having some issues with Ignition

samjc3

#1 Female Member
So, I began my quest to make very polished flame thrower gloves awhile back, and some pretty big progress has been made. The parts are being fabricated, and will be shipped monday. Ive got EL wire and stuff for looks and am partially done molding the armour plating. (Ala star wars clone armour; will be up to elbow onle. full coverage for hands and stuff, shiny black, with everything internal) However, I have run into a snag regarding ignition. I was initially planning to use two electronic BBQ lighters. they are basically a Flyback Transformer, but they are nicely packaged. But, as luck would have it, through several design changes, and with the size cuts afforded by micro sized pneumatic components, the overall package size has dropped significantly. Which is good. But, with the newfound tinyness this brings, it also means that those igniters would be massive by comparison. So I need something in a smaller package. My current design has the electricity arcing through the stream, for great justice, and maximum ignition potential. I would like to keep it that way, but I cant seem to find any smaller versions of that kinda thing. the only thing out there are stun guns, and only a good one can do what I need (the cheap ones overheat really quick, and thats no good) and I cant really afford a good one, let alone two. (Custom machined parts kinda hurt my bank account)

So I implore thee, find me something smaller that will give me a lovely arc of electricity that stays as long as the button is pressed, and runs off under 5 volts. :awesome:

I do have a suggestion: what about those little "electric balls"? This is what I'm talking about:
images

You see, USB!! :D

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... x/sku.3689

The guy in the first review says that it can spark when you open it up. It can be powered by USB, so there's your 5v. You'll have to figure out how much amperage it'll need, but that's not a big deal if you're only using it for a moment anyway.

Nope. those are static, so they wont work. plus they are filled with a gas that makes the arcing possible. but USB is good.

Grrr... my first thought of an arc of electricity is one of those plasma balls. Sorry Sam!

You are pretty much going to have to build your own, but have you tried disassembling the igniter? You might be able to make it fit that way, or atleast you can take out the transformer and use the rest.

SS

I havent actually bought the Ignitor yet. I gotta wait for payday, which should be pretty soon. I hope it can be made to be small enough, but I would be sad if it was big, because my rig is VERY small. like barely larger than the can of butane itself. including the can of butane.

I'm wondering what your can size is*, I thought with all the fabrication you were talking about you would just be using your own refillable tank.

Anyways, The ignitor you linked to looks similar to mine, but with three prongs instead of four.

The large button is actually just a battery holder, and you can cut that completely off and rewire the battery somewhere else. It only takes one AA, but if you step it up to 3v you get faster sparks.

Compare:
1.5v : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJasP6Un7zI
3.0v : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUzwN5Qjx8A

If you completely removed the case and rewired thing, it would probably fit. It's meant to go inside a large grill, so they weren't trying to make it as slim as possible.

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=149827

This looks like the same thing but smaller, I can't really tell.

SS

* :awesome:

Hmm. I guess I will end up using those, more than likely. its good to know they arent as huge as they look. As for the tanks, In this iteration they are just 2.1oz butane bottles. I have custom ones drawn up but I couldnt afford to have them fabricated. All Im having fabbed for this is the check valves and spray tips, and compression fittings.

I have looked into it. the problem is, getting a flyback transformer is a real pain, short of yanking apart a CRT, and even then, it isnt what I need. Its too big.

Didn't read everything, but have you thought of a disposable camera flash circuit? You can take off the cap, feed it 5v and it will put out about 650v. Might be enough for sparks.

Thought about it, but the very concept is problematic. It can get me sparks, but I need a steady arc of white hot joy electricity.

Zet is right. Those USB plasma balls can arc through normal air, with a small spark gap. I have one, this is 100% promised, I have done it myself many times.

Use one.

Palmer, was this used as one of your many attempts at that home made tazer or whatever?

PalmerTech said:
Zet is right. Those USB plasma balls can arc through normal air, with a small spark gap. I have one, this is 100% promised, I have done it myself many times.

Use one.

Is it a constant line, a once off spark, or does it keep sparking like my igniter?

SS

@Mako: Yes. And it only needs one prong, too. Stun Sword, anyone?

@SS: Constant line. Not a very thick arc, but Heck, it is running off 5v at like 500ma, what can you expect? Would work great for ignition, and sounds cooler than the "snap snap snap" of a piezo.

Back