Halfway decent gaming netbook?

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
So I don't need anything incredible, but if can play TF2 at around 20 FPS, I'd be a happy camper. When I say netbook, I'm hoping for something with a 12 inch or smaller screen. Suggestions?

PREVIOUS TOPIC: Opinions on Dell M11x?

Here's the product page: http://tinyurl.com/2cwautt

I think it'll be great, since it can get about 7 hours of battery on non-gaming use, and can play recent games quite well, especially if I upgrade to the i5 or i7 processor. It's only about the size of a piece of standard printer paper (but just hair over an inch thick). I was thinking that now that I'm finally going to college I should get a nice notebook for school. I have an awful lot of grant money for attending a junior college, so I wanted to get a least this one goodie.

Thoughts?

Re: Opinions on Dell M11x?

Hmmm.... well, It is awsome, but you should only get it if your going to use it as your primary game machine.

I've always wanted an Alienware desktop. :cry4: Expensive though.

I like the laptop, its got the 335M GPU which is supposedly a sweetspot for gaming laptops.

I dislike the processor though. Even if you get the I5, its only 1.066Ghz, and 1.866 ghz with turbo. I know its an I5 but still. The I7 option I think would be a must

I think you should buy it! :awesome: If you do though, overclick it. Its covered in the warranty :awesome:

Make sure you get PC LoJack on it, or at least an insurance policy. Everybody knows Alienware-branded PCs are expensive gaming computers, and all it will take is for you to turn your back for 5 seconds and it's gone. Something that small is fairly easy to conceal.

Most of those benchmark numbers they boast about likely come from the most expensive top-of-the-line model.

EDIT: Holy crap the price adds up like crazy on that thing. :eek: Even for just the base price you can build a Heck of a desktop.

Yeah, I'd definitely insure something this expensive. Whatever I do, I need to be careful with this lappy, for sure.

And I've noticed similar laptops on newegg for ~$300 less, but they're all monstrous 15.6 beasts. Still, even if it's really expensive, I'm going for the i7 processor.

Also got to get the RAM upgrade. And the HDD. 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD stock will need to be upgraded.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Int ... 085.0.html
(scroll to power consumption)
i7 is going going to make your battery life worse...

Done some research on this laptop, heres some of the stuff I've found:

Yes, the GPU is pretty good, but Optimus still has issues (that's nvidia's graphics control software). There have been problems in games, notably WOW, with throttling and frame drops.

The CPU isn't real powerful in this machine. Meaning you might have problems with more CPU intensive games, like starcraft, etc.

My recommendation: If you need the portability, then get this machine. Otherwise, go with a standard i3/5/7 laptop + 5650 (slightly faster) combo. There's a few I'd reccomend:
Acer 3820TG - weighs under 4 pounds, but might not make it to US (still can import from Germany, Canada though)
HP Envy 14 - good laptop, even has beautiful "radiance display" option

Both are near the low configuration price of the m11x.

Get an Asus G73. It's better, cheaper, and you can take it out in public without looking like an idiot. Dell adds Dell-tax to their Alienware products.

J.D said:
Get an Asus G73. It's better, cheaper, and you can take it out in public without looking like an idiot. Dell adds Dell-tax to their Alienware products.

This. They markup the price because its a cooool Dell Alienware.

Yeah. Alienware products are as cool as taking your pet bunny to a bar.

I mainly need the portability, though. The main reason I chose the M11x isn't because of Dell (though I will admit that I'd prefer a Dell over most other brands), but because it's pretty small, and has enough graphics capabilities to get me playing stuff like TF2, ME2, and some MMOs on good settings.

Portable PC gaming? lol

Lemmie give you a rundown.

Playing FPSs and third person shooters is Dang near impossible with a touchpad.

Without an external power supply, the laptop will have a lot less power. You could have the settings on High Performance, and it will still lag without an external power supply.

You'll need a solid surface.

You'll need a mouse.

Preferably you'll need a chair.

Buying a gaming laptop for portability is kinda pointless. I carry my DV6-2088DX across different houses all the time, I bring it to friends houses, my mom's house, dad's house, etc etc. It's a 15" laptop.

Well, I handled one in real life. It was slightly smaller than what I was expecting, but this wasn't a bad thing at all. Solidly built, no keyboard flex, strong chasis.. I played the ME2 demo on it, played like butter. The laptop barely got warm. Best of all, it's only $899 at a local Best Buy, so I think I've made my decision. Unless something in similar size comes out anytime soon, this is what I'm getting.

Not sure why I asked for opinions, since I was so dead set on it since the beginning. :dah:

m11x looks awesome. I've seen an ASUS laptop with similar hardware, but I don't think it's availible on this side of the world. Anyway, I am jealous. All I can afford is an Eee 1215N.

One of the my hidden motives to start college was also to get a nice gaming laptop with my financial aid funds. :p

Pssst alienware sucks ass. They are just slightly re-shelled XPS', and Ive been an XPS owner in the past.

It was the worst thing I ever bought. (and thats saying something considering I got it free) Its broken more times than I can count, and Ive never done anything with it. I never dropped it or anything, but it fell apart faster than your average xbox 360. It blew the processor out in 2 months, so I got a new one from dell. That one had the hinges go out and stopped charging shortly thereafter (had it for 3 months when the hinge cracked, then it stopped charging in about a week). So I got that one fixed, and then when I got it back It worked for another 2 days before it stopped responding to everything. no lights, no nothing. I called the dell Playstations and they basically told me I must be *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing it up, and didnt do anything. So then I ripped it apart, couldnt find anything at all wrong with it, reflowed the board, no dice. No it sits on my desk taking up space, while my asus EEE from the same year just keeps kicking no matter what i do to it. (like double clocking it, and all that, plus ripping it fully apart often to swap parts)

Also, the new wave of netbooks should game almost as well as that thing (pine trail dual core atom, Ion2), but at a much lower price tag.

Back