GUIDE: Chopping the N64 board a tiny bit more.

XCVG said:
In theory you could rewire those traces, but didn't someone try and find out that they are really latency, noise, or capacitance sensitive or something like that?

Bac tried it. Check out some of his videos in his N64P guide and he explains it. Yeah, the audio gets screwed up because some of the traces have timers involved for the distance across the trace. If you change the amp/voltage/length of those traces, it won't work.

Ever wondered why some of the tiny traces do squigglies? Thats why.

LOL!

Bac did a flax soldering job, and even MISSED traces.
Latency is a problem, but not a huge one. It can be easily taken into account.

jleemero said:
LOL!

Bac did a flax soldering job, and even MISSED traces.
Latency is a problem, but not a huge one. It can be easily taken into account.

This.

Don't take anything bac has done/said for truth, we know how he turned out. And just because he's built portables doesn't mean everything he says is fact. Why, I built 3 N64ps before I realized that TI regs > linear regulators. And I had 5 done before I figured out why.

Anyways:

"Yeah, the audio gets screwed up because some of the traces have timers involved for the distance across the trace. If you change the amp/voltage/length of those traces, it won't work."

That makes no sense to me, and I have never heard of anything like that existing prior to this.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
"Yeah, the audio gets screwed up because some of the traces have timers involved for the distance across the trace. If you change the amp/voltage/length of those traces, it won't work."

That makes no sense to me, and I have never heard of anything like that existing prior to this.

SS

Yea this is news to me. All that adding length will do is add resistance. And usually you can make it quite a bit longer before you add enough resistance to change anything.

So, it's possible?

But I have to ask, why? All that soldering for just a little decrease in size? That's a lot of effort. And wire does take up space, too. But if you want to make the smallest N64p in the world, I guess it's necessary, even if you only gain a few mm.

It's wiring directly to the n64's main chips, to make the board INSANELY small while relocating the cart slot.

Also you just bumped a kinda old topic

i dont think he gets it. rcp wiring is when you cut off the cart slot portion of the board and rewire it directly to the chips. saves room and creates a tiny portable.

Could someone upload the pictures from the first post again, please? I would really like to know how much you can trim that board ;)

Back