Pocket Atari - lovablechevy's Flashback 2 in a 2600 cart

lovablechevy

completed March 15, 2016

so, the Pocket Atari was actually my 2nd planned project, fully planned out between 8-9 years ago by now. lol! i'm just now finally getting it finished.

the Pocket Atari is an Atari Flashback 2 inside of a standard Atari 2600 cart, with controls, batteries, screen, and speaker. it is THE smallest portable i own, and literally fits in a pocket. hence the name.

it was a very challenging project for me. there was no painting, no bondo/filler/ABS/epoxy. i couldn't hide my flaws. i had to make perfect cuts. the internals also had to be wires of exact length and placed extremely well. this was a very very very space specific project. you'll be able to see from my very first picture here (my blueprint) just how detailed my planning has been for this. i didn't even want to attempt it till i knew, on paper, it was even remotely possible.

i was told years ago by the longhorn engineer that it's not possible. he attempted this project himself. well, i have now successfully proved him wrong. [;)]

61%20-%20front%20on_zpszfw3j0y3.jpg

62%20-%20front_zpssw7beotu.jpg

63%20-%20label_zpsytxviqfv.jpg

64%20-%20top%20label_zpscrhzfd71.jpg

65%20-%20brightness%20and%20color_zpszly5zkwm.jpg

66%20-%20bottom%20jacks_zps8jvh8zjw.jpg

67%20-%20volume_zpsnlflzi2a.jpg

68%20-%20angle_zpsnicgtrfo.jpg

69%20-%20angle_zpsgyyyol1z.jpg

70%20-%20paddle_zpspuclfocw.jpg

71%20-%20nearly%20stock%20looking_zpsflq99lhg.jpg

72%20-%20nearly%20stock_zpsedxvdz7o.jpg

73%20-%20final_zps8940wep4.jpg

specs:
system – Atari Flashback 2
screen - 2.5" "zate" screen with audio amp
power – 2 3.7v li-ion 700 mAh batteries (3.5 hours at full vol)
case – frankencased Atari 2600 cart
controller – buttons are from a wii controller board is from a Super Joy III controller
random tidbits – case has custom made sticker, custom single player paddle port, and difficulty switch

please feel free to visit my facebook page to see all pictures taken during the process. :)

a few measurements of the system:
weight of portable – 4.6 ounces
thickness – 13/16"
height – 3 13/16”
length – 3 3/16”

this project took me exactly 4 weeks over the course of 8 streaming sessions. i am so very glad to have it finally finished! this one has been a very long time coming.

Gorgeous work, as always. And, based on the pitfall cart that I have sitting here for reasons, it's probably pretty comfortable too.

Finally, not to take away from a gorgeous portable, but holy *Can'tSayThisOnTV* 2008 was 8 years ago, jesus christ.

Fluxedo said:
Nice job! How sturdy does the physical mini USB connection feel for a controller?

it feels good and sturdy for this application. it snaps into place really well and is secured really well on the inside. :)

samjc3 said:
Gorgeous work, as always. And, based on the pitfall cart that I have sitting here for reasons, it's probably pretty comfortable too.

Finally, not to take away from a gorgeous portable, but holy *PLAQUE* 2008 was 8 years ago, jesus christ.

i know right?! when i went to finally start this project and realized i planned it 8 years ago i was all "where has the time gone?!"

Very nice.
Finally, a portable I could actually see myself carrying around.
I like the little touch with the speaker behind the label. Very clever.

gman said:
That looks to me like the smallest portable of any console built. That's amazing
Most likely is. I know Mario did something similar but in the packaging from an iPod touch back in the day. Not sure if it was a flashback or not though.

Dang Chevy, that's hella sexy. Nice job!

thanks, guys!

yeah, mario's stella is a fb2 portable. but it's bigger. of course, it also has a 3.5" screen, built in paddle controls, and cart slot. so it's got to be bigger. i just always thought it'd be awesome to have it built in an actual 2600 cart. :) i would have attempted it with the fb6 if i had one on hand. then i'd have 100 games built in instead of 42. but i love how it turned out. :)

Back