GCP comments and Suggestions

So I've joined this forum like a month and a half ago because i was very interested in making my own portables. But what really seemed to come across a challenge was incorporating the controls INTO the portable.

Heres my concept of what I would love to make.

GCPmymainconceptforforum.jpg

Basically:
1. I'm more into multiplayer than anything else, so I had to have all the controller sockets.
2. I want to have an Original video out So I can still plug into big Tv's. (My school has a game Club and this would totally go a long way for Multiplayer (Four people trying to play off a 5" screen :confused: )
3. I really wouldn't want to hold it to much,(I would use it mostly in the car) so i rather keep my old controls intact for conforts sake. So the I would just have the system on my lap or dashboard or something and plug my control in and play off of that.
4. I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THIS AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. AND I REALLY wouldn't mind trading size for Battery life. ( And throw in a few suggestions about making a car charger for this ( not being specific about the outlet that goes into the system, just voltage, amperage, and if i need to make any adjustments so I wont fry my board.))

So yeah, thats just the basic concept. leave any suggestions, comments, criticism (which I will most likely ignore if its not Constructive) and what ever else crosses your minds. Thanx

-RED

Maybe a laptop/fliptop design would be better for you then? Perhaps with a larger screen like this one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32019

Like this, maybe:
gctop.png

It's a bad drawing and out of scale, but you get the idea.

Also, as for having car power and such, that's something I'm trying to solve with my YAP64. You'll need a protection/charging combo circuit. This can be found in DVD player batteries and such. The only problem is that a GCp probably needs a higher voltage than such a battery could provide. Maybe something like this would work, with appropriate cells of course. Unfortunately it seems to require more voltage than a car outlet could provide. For reference, the normal way of doing it is to use a protection circuit and use a smart charger.

Thanx, and I guess a fliptop design would be much better for me if I'm going to be playing it on my lap and such. and an adjustable screen will just add to that.
And the CMB will really go along way for battery life.

and is there also a way to remove and replace multiple batteries

RemovablebatteryForum.jpg

Kind of like a real laptop.

You can tell im really keen about how much time i could get out if this.

A removable battery is possibly, but somewhat impractical to actually do. It would probably be easier and better to just put in more batteries. But it is certainly possible.

Thanx, I guess im just stressing too much about battery life. And all the info you've gave me really helped.

and as for a case, what would you recommend. because, idk how a hobby box can be used for a fliptop.(more on the hinges)

I guess i could go to the flee market like 2 miles away form my house and see if i can find some junk stuff that will work for a case. But i really wand to make this project LOOK nice.

For a laptop GCp you'll probably have to build a case. Get some sheet plastic, preferably ABS or styrene but acrylic or lexan will work too. Plan out your case and write down some dimensions and measurements for the various pieces that make up the case. For a simple rectangular box you'll need two side panels, two front/back panels, a bottom piece and a top piece. Remember they will overlap, which way you choose to overlap them is up to you. Then carefully cut out the pieces. The bottom and sides can be glued together, but you will want to make the top removable. You will have to make a slimmer box for the top. Such a case can look pretty good, just take your time, measure, and be careful. Get someone good at this sort of thing to help you if you don't really know what you're doing.

Of course, you might get lucky and find a really awesome case somewhere and not need to build one.

I hope you find a case you can use like that. Finding a good case is a pain.

Also: YAY! Somebody linked to the screen I found. :D

Honestly, for what you want, the best and quickest solution is to buy one of those crappy clip on GC screens, and then get a big ol' battery pack with an adapter that will plug into the GC's power socket. It will be ugly, but it will work well.

βeta said:
Honestly, for what you want, the best and quickest solution is to buy one of those crappy clip on GC screens, and then get a big ol' battery pack with an adapter that will plug into the GC's power socket. It will be ugly, but it will work well.

Quickest? Probably. Best? No way.

βeta said:
If you're not making it a handheld, there's really no point in putting in any effort. :(

Okay, now you're just being a jerk. Would 360 laptop builders please go and beat up Beta with your laptops?

Why are you such a dick lately?

There's a huge difference between "A Gamecube that I can haul around and play with my friends on," and a 360 laptop.

βeta said:
Why are you such a dick lately?

I'm just pissed off for some reason. I'm not exactly sure what, either.

βeta said:
There's a huge difference between "A Gamecube that I can haul around and play with my friends on," and a 360 laptop.

But what you said, specifically, was "If you're not making it a handheld, there's really no point in putting in any effort. :( " What you said could easily be interpreted (or misinterpreted) as "Laptops suck".

*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ING Heck YEAH WVI'S ARE TOTALLY THE BEST.

I swear too much, this will look ridiculous with the word filter.

βeta said:
Yeaaaah, :confused:

thats not really the reason why I have joined this forum. Otherwise I would have done it already.

To be honest I was planning to do that like 2 years ago when I saw one of those screens. But, it really seemed inconvenient. (broke person :sweat: )

And besides, I'm in it for the fun experience.(gloating)

The perks are pretty nice.

Seriouslly, when I brought the QUAD to school, everyone thought that I was the coolest person ever and a genius. After a while, though, they dicided a PSP would be better. :(

I think you should do what ßeta said, but with a GC zeneth screen. Higher quality, if you can find one...

Back