GBA Backlit brightness question

I’ve seen and read plenty of threads about the standard GBA backlit mod not being bright enough, but my problem is the opposite. I was wondering if there was another solder point that would allow for less brightness? Maybe trick the volume wheele into dimming the display instead of adjusting the volume (which I don’t use to begine with). Any thoughts or helpful information would be appreciated. I’m not an electrical engineer by any standard so forgive me if there’s something here I don’t understand.

Hello R-Porter,

You're problem seems pretty easy to fix. All you would need to do is find which line on the board is supplying the backlight of the screen ( I do not have a gba, or I would check). Then, you could solder a resistor to that line of the board. I have no idea what resistor value you would need. I would recommend getting a pack with a bunch of different values in it.

tip- If the resistance is too high, the voltage could drop to a value where the backlight might not turn on anymore. So, if the backlight turns off when you do this, try using smaller resistances until it turns back on.

I hope this helps.

Awesome. I really appreciate the advice. I’ll try probing points on the board to find a lower voltage draw before throwing resistors at it.

Back