GameCubeMini ~ Worklog

Re: GameCubePocket worklog

Honestly, you probably got the only one they had.

Nice find!
Wish I found one of these before I spent several days of cutting the original heatsink to size :sweat:

Good to know the cube doesn't get hot with a heatsink that small.

it only doesn't get hot because the fan is blowing out the warm air. If you don't have that it will get hot quite quick and stay hot if it is not properly cooled with a fan.

I think on ebay you should be able to find some of these heatsinks too. Just check IBM thinkpad 380 fan or heatsink.

zenloc said:
it only doesn't get hot because the fan is blowing out the warm air. If you don't have that it will get hot quite quick and stay hot if it is not properly cooled with a fan.

I think on ebay you should be able to find some of these heatsinks too. Just check IBM thinkpad 380 fan or heatsink.

yep, they are about 10 bucks on ebay. Pchub might get new stock in. I'll contact them and see if its a discontinuation.

For who ever is interested. They have 6 of these left. They are exactly the same.

http://pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-12106-10 ... -Fan-.html?

Get them while you can!! They're also cheaper!!

For another option you could cut down the original heatsink of the gamecube to the same height of this one and use that 6-7mm fan Tchay listed. What was that link again??

zenloc said:

Yeah, I've got a couple of fans sucking air straight through the case so I hope it will be sufficient.

That's the fan I meant. I have that one. pchub sells them cheaper though. I think..... :rolleyes:

Those heatsinks look perfect Zen. I ordered 3 today, thx for the links!!

Another little update. Changed the heatsink design to fit in this case as the shoulder buttons were getting in the way of the other heatsink I sound. I plan on using the otherone for my mass produced gamecubemini.

img2011050800431.jpg

img2011050800432.jpg

img2011050800433.jpg

img2011050800434.jpg

img2011050800435.jpg

img2011050800436.jpg

img2011050800437.jpg

It's a tight fit but everything can fit into the case. The fan I'm using is 6mm thick as is the whole heatsink (even smaller than the other one)

Hopefully next week I'll be able to do a test run with the gamecube in place. I'll post any new progress.

Where did you get that heatsink? Is it available online anywhere (ebay?). It looks like the whole thing is connected together besides the fan. That is literally just what I need for my portable (6mm thick overall).

thx! :)

I made it myself. it's based on those small ram heatsinks (8 of them) I then added a aluminum base and epoxied them all on then screwed in the fan to the plate.

I will have to say though that this heatsink is not as effecient as the other one because it is not blowing air through the entire heatsink but it works fine and much better than the original heatsink.

Been busy rewiring everything to the VIA's.

Here's a pinout for anybody interested. I edited Techknott's pics from Ashen's cutting guide:

viapinouts.jpg

Ashen maybe you could add this to your guide.

NOTE!!! the discdrive pinouts are wii connector pinouts!!! so no need to mess about with finding what the wii pin is. Just wire the wiidrive connector according to this pinout with the eject switch and your set.

Awesome man! Very nice work!! I havent had much time to poke at my cut board to figure any of that out. Will be very helpful indeed. I'll add it to the guide when I have some time. Thx!!

What a wonderful pinout :cool:
Just a question, a little bit off-topic, how shall we wire the data lines and vias to the transistors ?... I don't get it :/
BTW : great discovery for the heatsink, I'm trying to find one !
Can't wait to see it finished!

Back