GameCubeMini ~ Worklog

Re: GameCubePocket worklog

zenloc said:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4631&id=100001843721188&l=91e6d9516b On photo 25 you will see a picture of the video chip rewired.

Green is ground. Yellow is composite and red and white are audio

i hooked it up like in the picture and still nothing i looked around on that area though and now i can get a black and white image so it is manage able still have not gotten color though

sounds to me like your using a pal screen with a ntsc cube (or the other way around)

you might wanna start a new topic, this is zenlocs thread not yours

Indeed. Would prefer you start your own topic. I also think you have a pal - ntsc problem. Connect your gamecube to your tv ans see if it has any colour then. If it does then it's your screen that's the problem.

Another little update on the case:

img2011041800358.jpg

img2011041800359.jpg

img2011041800361.jpg

img2011041800362.jpg

img2011041800363.jpg

This is also the controller I'm using:

41e3mxv73ml.jpg

41x5zv5wrxl.jpg

img2011041700355.jpg

I'll be posting some pics of this controller cut. This has rumble aswell and will be very tiny when I'm done with it.

This looks really, really great! Finally someone, who doesn't use the PSone lcd! Keep up the good work! :)

tehkillerbee said:
This looks really, really great! Finally someone, who doesn't use the PSone lcd! Keep up the good work! :)
Hey me too!!
WIIKEY-1.jpg

BTW, Zenl0c is one of the guys who ALWAYS use the PS1 screen.
But he told me on Facebook that he's looking into the same one I'm using (Dalian Good Display)

I hope no one forgets who it was that first showed those screens on the forums!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry4:

Actually, Palmer originally sent me a link to that screen and then i bought and did a review on it.

yay Palmer!!!! :awesomepalmer:

Tchay said:
I hope no one forgets who it was that first showed those screens on the forums!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry4:

Actually, Palmer originally sent me a link to that screen and then i bought and did a review on it.

:awesomepalmer:
But I'm the one who is going to do a video review of it soon... :awesomehugo: :pirate:

Hugo_Peters said:
Tchay said:

But I'm the one who is going to do a video review of it soon... :awesomehugo: :pirate:
Tchay already did a video review of it. He's the reason almost all of us, if not all, know about the screen.

EDIT: Ah, turns out he only did pictures, but that still gives me all the info I need. No need for a video.

Back on track, it's amazing how small you can get these portables! I would've never guess there'd be pocket sized GCp...

hidiosoman said:
Hugo_Peters said:
Tchay said:

Tchay already did a video review of it. He's the reason almost all of us, if not all, know about the screen.
Where's the video then?

Have been very busy so not much progress.

So I've been messing around with heatsink options and have ordered a bunch of them from pchub.com

Here are a couple of options I bought:
img2011050400425.jpg

After much though and testing I have found the perfect solution. The IBM-Thinkpad-380Z-2635-HGA-Cooling-Fan. After some cutting and milling measuring at 8.5mm x 106.5mm x 50mm with a built-in 5v fan I present to you the smallest, thinnest and lightest heatsink for the gamecube!!
img2011050400414.jpg

img2011050400415.jpg

img2011050400416.jpg

The fan takes cold air from the top and blows warm air out the side. The 5v fan also works of 3.3v (which I have it running on). I have two of them and both of them don't make that much noise. Since they are used they probably make more sound then when there new. The heatsink itself doesn't get warm at all and neither does the gamecube motherboard. I used the original pads from an original heatsink to transfer the heatfrom the chips to the new heatsink. It works perfectly. I have been playing for hours on end and it never... I repreat NEVER get's hot!! The heatsink is also super light because it's made of thin aluminium. Perfect for portables.

I have also tried small copper ram heatsinks with a thin fan but copper is just overkill for something like this. Also I needed to buy seperate parts from all over to get a complete setup. Go to http://pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-7628-428 ... -Fan-.html? if you are interested in one. It's only $6.67 a piece. Buy more and they get cheaper!!

Here's my setup:
img2011050400417.jpg

img2011050400418.jpg

img2011050400424.jpg

Many thanks to Tchay for the link to pchub.com!!

Totally sick Zen! Nice find man. Runs to order...

Epic find here! Have you tried polishing the bottom of the heatsink? It may help a lot.

I had a seriously hard time stopping myself from placing the order for that thing earlier. I cannot be buying more stuff! Must make do with normal heatsink. Must make do with normal heatsink. Must..

I've got a Thinkpad 600E in the garage and looking at its heatsink on that site tells me it might actually cover all the important bits. But there's not a whole lot of surface area (fins, etc.) for the heat to bleed off.

Ah, I had looked over several thinkpad heatsinks including this one, but ignored it when I saw the thickness. But if it never gets hot, I may have to get one after all. Glad someone found the Pchub links usefull :mrgreen:

Polishing isn't really needed since it doesn't really get hot anyway.

Thickness of 8.5mm is really thin Tchay.... You could get it thinner though with that other fan you posted. Which I also bought. But since my batteries are 9mm thick this is the perfect solution for me. That way I can have the batteries next to the heatsink and have it absolutly the thinnest it can get. I'm aiming for 2.5cm thickness for my other gamecube project (gamecubemini) Although it will most likely be 3cm due to wiring. That's 1 whole inch :rolleyes: definilty the thinnest a gamecube portable with 5" screen and batteries can get I tell you.

Also with this heatsink you will be able to put the gamecube inside a unmodded psp 1000 case. Which will be another little side project I'm going to do.

Aaaaah so much to do so little time to do it in....... :(

zenloc said:
Polishing isn't really needed since it doesn't really get hot anyway.

Thickness of 8.5mm is really thin Tchay.... You could get it thinner though with that other fan you posted. Which I also bought. But since my batteries are 9mm thick this is the perfect solution for me. That way I can have the batteries next to the heatsink and have it absolutly the thinnest it can get. I'm aiming for 2.5cm thickness for my other gamecube project (gamecubemini) Although it will most likely be 3cm due to wiring. That's 1 whole inch :rolleyes: definilty the thinnest a gamecube portable with 5" screen and batteries can get I tell you.

Yeah I know its thin, I just needed something no thicker than 7mm to fit it in my second GCP. So I think I will go with the RAM sinks with maybe one of those 6mm thick fans. I'll have to test the temperature to see if it stays around 44-48ºC.

3cm for the mini would be unbelievable!!!

Whoever bought out all of their stock on that heatsink is a jerk. I was about to do that. :(

Back