GameCube Portable Breadbox Cube (03/09/2015) FINISHED

Re: The GameCube Portable (21/06/2014)

Its a good display it is the same one as you posted in another thread

Re: The GameCube Portable (26/07/2014)

Hello everybody,

Got a question. After some play testing my screen gets
these weird horizontal scan lines. I'm thinking it might be a heating issue but not really sure. The Cube gets warm but not that hot. I'm using an IBM heatsink + fan with the standard cooling paste found in the Cube.

On a side note:
My 1.68v regulator is placed on the NEC chip with a thin paper spacer in between. Also, from all regulators this one gets really hot. Might this affect preformance and can this damage the NEC chip?

Does anybody else have this same problem?

Thanks in advance.

PS: progress pictures coming soon.

Do you mean the lines develop as you play, or are they there from the start? If the latter is true it's almost certainly interference from the regulators.
Otheriwse, you might want to check the voltages on your screen...?

Blargaman91 said:
Do you mean the lines develop as you play, or are they there from the start? If the latter is true it's almost certainly interference from the regulators.
Otheriwse, you might want to check the voltages on your screen...?

Yes, the interference comes after around 5 - 10 minutes of play. It's the same for all games.
How can I help resolve this F.ucking problem.

Thanks jn advance

I changed the location of the 1.68v line and the lines have gone away. Thanks Blargaman!

On an other note, I keep getting static from my audio amp speakers?
Any sugesstions?

Re: Bakuku's GameCube Portable Breadbox Cube (08/05/2014)

Had some problems with the case and wasn't satisfied with the overall layout of the plugs,...

New case and dis some sanding and frankincasing.

Re: Bakuku's GameCube Portable Breadbox Cube (08/18/2014)

Back after a long needed break.

First post update

What voltage are you using for your iPhone 3g rumble motor? I have one but don't want to Cook it with too much voltage.

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
What voltage are you using for your iPhone 3g rumble motor? I have one but don't want to Cook it with too much voltage.

3.3v works but will be weaker compared to 5v. 5v constant rumble will make it heat up fast but I don't think the Cube or any Game would make your' rumble motor spin constantly. So my guess is that 5v should work. You could also build a switch to set rumble on or off?

Re: Bakuku's GameCube Portable Breadbox Cube (02/23/2015)

Encounterd a new issue.

The cube crashes in certain situations with Super Mario Sunshine (When entering a level or 5 min in the level) and with Super Smash Brothers Melee (Adventure Mode F-zero stage where you have to run from the race ships)

Wires are all good. Resolderd them yesterday just in case and the Cube is Cooled with a Lenovo Heatsink and Fan with silver based thermal paste. Stays fairly cool.

What could be the cause of this? Gamepad tester and menu can run for hours on straight with no problem.

@Ashen
@Tchay
@Shockslayer
@Blargaman91
@gman

Please help

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
What do you mean by crash? Does it freeze or give you an error of some kind.

Freeze as in the screen just turns black and the cube doens’t respond anymore. If I take out the power plug and reconnect it works again right again to the point where it freeze/chrashes. I wwapped out my wkf with a waspnand still the same problem. So this rules out heating and bad modchip I think.

I don't think this is a new issue. Are you so running your GPU and CPU at 1.68v? And what regulator are you using for these?

1.5 and 1.7 custom reg zenloc diagram

I would need to see decent photos, at a decent resolution, of the area. Plus you could need to sand a bit more with a finer paper.

i've had an issue like that before, and as much as you don't want to hear it, wiring was the cause. I never could find anything wrong with the wiring, but the freezing stopped after I redid the whole thing more carefully than the first time. I'm guessing it was a loose solder bead too small to locate.

But freezing at specific points could be too low of a voltage on your CPU or GPU, which I think DuHasst0 is getting at.

DuHasst0 said:
I would need to see decent photos, at a decent resolution, of the area. Plus you could need to sand a bit more with a finer paper.
I dont have a HD camera. Sorry.
I sanded the f.uck out of the mobo before using it. I double checked and cleaned the edges with alcohol and finnished with transparent nailpolish to seperate the different layers.

Blargaman91 said:
i've had an issue like that before, and as much as you don't want to hear it, wiring was the cause. I never could find anything wrong with the wiring, but the freezing stopped after I redid the whole thing more carefully than the first time. I'm guessing it was a loose solder bead too small to locate.

But freezing at specific points could be too low of a voltage on your CPU or GPU, which I think DuHasst0 is getting at.

I used the original regulator and the chrash in ssb melee didn't happen. I will test sunshine later and then try to increase the voltage on de 1.5v line.

I'll keep you guys posted

Thanks for the help guys!

Back