Epoxy? ABS Cement? Bondo?

Seren

Formerly known as thelukestir
I'm not exactly the most experienced in making cases, and I was wondering exactly what each is best for. I see people talking about bondo and abs cement a lot but I don't really understand nor do I see anywhere explaining which is better for what.

I've only really used epoxy and hotglue for making cases for things in the past and I want to improve a bit for my next project.

Abs cement will actually melt into most plastics and so permanently bond them together. But it is more liquid and harder to fill large gaps. Also it can't be sanded and painted.

Epoxy will fill larger gaps but it does not really permanently bond to plastic. So if the part is bent or flexes it can crack and split apart. If the case will not be flexes then it can do a fine job.

Bondo should only be used in very light coats to cover over the abs cement or epoxy to fill small imperfections. It can then be sanded an painted to look good.

Okay thanks, I guess I'll just stick to epoxy and pick up some bondo to make it all look good. Thanks hail ♥

themadhacker said:
abs cement can be sanded and painted just as anything, and you can make it for free.

No it can't. It leaves air holes when sanded and does not sand smooth.

still, the holes can have a thin layer of body filler applied over then smoothed out. I've had success with the stuff in the past.

themadhacker said:
still, the holes can have a thin layer of body filler applied over then smoothed out. I've had success with the stuff in the past.

Yea that is exactly what I said.

hailrazer said:
Abs cement will actually melt into most plastics and so permanently bond them together. But it is more liquid and harder to fill large gaps. Also it can't be sanded and painted.

Bondo should only be used in very light coats to cover over the abs cement or epoxy to fill small imperfections. It can then be sanded an painted to look good.

hailrazer said:
Bondo should only be used in very light coats

I'm reminded of seeing horrid body work on cars, where they hit a bump and 20 ilbs of bondo falls off in a 5 inch deep chunk. :shudders:

God I hate bondo.

Similarly, there are some people who made beautiful cases, then, because they were held together with bondo, they just... disintegrate one day.
This doesn't happen much anymore because Hail came along and showed us the light. The light of ABS cement. Then epoxy came into the game, and now all is right.

Back