Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Help?

Pally321

Hey, I bought Oblivion from the Steam sale and have been having a LOT of trouble with it. First, when I start a game, the entire screen is grey. I still see the HUD and the game still runs fine, it's just that you cant see anything. I heard its happend to Nvidia cards, but mine is an Intel HD graphics card. I heard that turning off HDR lighting could help, but that leads me to my next problem. Any time I try to save or edit an option and exit the game, the game wont save so it resets to the original options. Anyone know of a way to stop this?

Zero said:
Pally321 said:
mine is an Intel HD graphics card.

That's your problem.
Trust me, I know it's a terrible card, but im not sure how it could be the problem (or if it is, how to fix it.) The game seems to run fine, as the compass on the bottom still rotates and I can open my inventory, so I'm a a loss.

Which version of Intel HD are you using? There is a huge difference in the Core2Duo ones and the Core i ones for instance. I can run it fine on my first gen i5.

Not sure what the exact model of the graphics card is, I could probably look it up later, but the processor is an Intel i3.

1st or 2nd gen? Not that it makes much of a difference. You should be able to play just fine. Have you tried turning everything on low?

Again, not exactly sure of the generation, sorry about that. And this is the annoying part, nothing (including options) saves when I close the game, so the only graphics settings I can try at the moment is medium.

Hmm... have you tried changing setting pre-lauch or can you even edit them in game?

Try either running it as an admin and see if it saves after that, or find the config file and edit it manually. If it still overwrites it afterward, make the file read-only and try again.

Bush said:
Hmm... have you tried changing setting pre-lauch or can you even edit them in game?
Actually I tried both and neither will save.

And also, I tried running Steam as admin, but still couldnt get it to save.

Try checking the integrity of the game files through steam under the properties of the game, or even just reinstall. That seems to solve a decent amount of issues. Also, make sure your video driver is up to date, they just released a new one.

Bush said:
Try checking the integrity of the game files through steam under the properties of the game, or even just reinstall. That seems to solve a decent amount of issues. Also, make sure your video driver is up to date, they just released a new one.

Tried all of it, updated the driver, checked the intergrity, and even reinstalled it, still nothing.

Zero said:
find the config file and edit it manually. If it still overwrites it afterward, make the file read-only and try again.

Did you try that?

Back