EchoesCube worklog

FierceDeity said:
I haven't gotten much done in the last couple weeks since I've been on vacation but I'm back now so I will continue progress. My board it mostly done, the SD card slots are installed and swiss is finally working, although I broke my audio amp. The front half of my case is done 100%, but I'm just waiting for some more paint to come in the mail before I choose the color. I've tested some Montana Gold and I love it, there is a good chance I will go with matte black.

Here are the tests of Montana gold that I did:
2012-08-15_23-46-52_272.jpg

Also, here is the side of the case where I cut the sd slots:
2012-08-15_23-46-10_408.jpg

Lastly, I'm having trouble wiring Tchay's fan. I'm not sure how to wire it since there are four wires. I thought it would be straightforward and I could wire 5v to red and ground the black but it isn't working, and I have tried on multiple fans. I have tried a bunch of combinations on 4 different fans, all without success. I got one of the fans to work for a bit, it was strange, without changing how it was wired sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Then it randomly started smoking and would work after that. I just need someone to tell me how to wire it.
Sadly I can't help much but the fans have pwm control to control the speed so that's why there are numerous wires

I know about the speed control, I looked up four pin fans online when I was having trouble and determined that wasn't the problem. I also know I wasn't switching up the orange and red wire because I tried multiple combinations on different fans so I couldn't have mixed up something that simple. I think I figured out what the problem was though, I was powering them off of a large benchtop power supply and I think a was giving them too many Amps. Most things only draw the amount of current the need, so I don' t really understand it, but I tested the stock GC fan and it wouldn't work until I turned the Current knob down to below an Amp. Anyways, I don't think I'm going to use that fan since I just bought one of the Fan-Heatsink combos that Zenloc found awhile ago.

I have also painted the case ant started installing buttons. I went with matte black(just for you, nuke) and sprayed light coats to give it a roughish finish. I love the matte black, but I think I will go with blood orange on the back to make it stand out a bit.

Here a a bunch of pics

2012-08-30_15-34-29_930.jpg

2012-08-30_15-32-34_554.jpg

2012-08-30_15-31-32_633.jpg

2012-08-30_15-31-15_648.jpg

2012-08-30_15-34-49_742.jpg

2012-08-30_15-35-26_204.jpg

2012-08-30_15-35-53_304.jpg

Thanks a ton guys, there has been a long delay from waiting for paint to come in the mail, and now that it's over I'm hoping to get a lot more progress done.

public-pervert said:
It automatically reminds me SS's XGC, which is a very good thing!
This is looking awesome!

That's the first thing I thought too once the paint dried. I didn't intend for it to be so similar, but that's the way it came out, and I love the look.

nuke said:
FierceDeity said:
just for you, nuke
:D
Looks awesome!
EDIT: I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, whered u get that awesome wiikey ffc adapter?

It is actually the one that Ashen linked to in his guide, but with a 32 pin ffc connector from digikey to replace the 36 pin one(completely unnecessary but I had spare chipquick an wanted to try it out). Then I cut it down small and wired to the traces. I did it because I didn't want to FFC wire and it seemed more secure and cleaner than FFC wiring.

Can you make it orange? That would be awesome. Seriously though Modretro, I have been lurking around here for a while and it seems that most of the portables here are either black and white. It would be nice to introduce some color, right?

Mario's Atari was orange, I believe. Crazy sexy work Deity, can't wait to see it finished. :)

Here's a minor update, nothing major

I've been installing more into the case and got a new heatsink. I'm using the one that Zenloc was going to use, it's perfect. Here are some pictures

2012-09-03_23-32-51_948.jpg

2012-09-03_23-32-37_283.jpg

2012-09-03_23-36-34_891.jpg

Woahhhhhh flux Awesome!!!
Very small and looks so good man.
Those speakers have external amp? Or made one yourself?
Awesome portable Fierce...

Thanks for the comments, I'll hopefully have another update soon :D.

I made the amp myself, It is TPA6021A4 from digitkey.

I got the 4 way tact off either Digikey or Mouser, I cna't remeber which. If you are thinking of getting one, I highly recommend it. They are so much easier to install and are smaller than a Dpad, and work fine for games when the analogue stick is being used mostly.

I already have the tact switch, and I love it, but what do you use for the pad that goes on top of the switch? Where do you get it?

Here's another minor update, I have installed the controller and audio amp into the case.

2012-09-15_17-07-28_153.jpg

I have a problem that hopefully someone will know how to fix. Ever since I cut my GC board back when I started, my GC has been making a high pitch whining noise in the backround. It isn't bad and if there is any other noise you can't hear it, but when your at the menu or a loading screen, you can hear it. It isn't my amp, when I plug it into my TV it does the same thing, and it had been doing it for the last couple months. It isn't bad, but if I could fix it, that would be awesome. If anyone knows how to fix it, the help would be much appreciated.

Also, from now on progress will probably be a lot slower since school started for me, but I will still update occasionally.

Back