EchoesCube worklog

FierceDeity

I've been tempted to make a GCp ever since Ashen, Zenloc, and Emu_kidid got the Wiikey working on the Gamecube, and now that my N64 is finally done, I've got to do it. It's going to be similar to my N64, but a little bit smaller. I'm not going for worlds smallest or anything like that, I just enjoy making small portables. Before I go any further I want to give a huge thanks to Ashen, I had never even opened a GC before, but with those guides, cutting it was almost too easy. Also thanks to Tchay, Zenloc, and Technott, I know you guys helped a ton with trimming the GC. Seriously, thanks guys. About the name, Metroid Prime 2 is by far my favorite gamecube game, so I'm naming it after that.

So without further ado, here are my initial plans for the case:
2012-07-12_14-48-01_500.jpg

It's destine to change a lot, thats just my first idea. I may make it taller, I would like to have stereo audio with 2 front facing speakers, and 3 1/8" doesn't exactly give me room to do that. Also, note that those dimensions are not including the thickness of the plastic.

Here are some specs that I'm planing
-3Ds sliders with colored xbox analog stick caps
-4-way tact switch for the D-pad
-ABXY in a similar configuration as Tchay's envision
-no idea for L and R, maybe Pandora Maxfire buttons like my N64
-3.5" screen
-Hopefully stereo audio if I can fit 2 speakers
-no batteries(so it's technically a handheld) but I plan on making a battery pack
-SD gecko and a normal memcard
-Wiikey fusion(duh)
-AlmostWTF mobo trim
-Zenloc's regulator

Here are some more pics of progress I've made

Mobo
2012-07-12_14-49-34_823.jpg

Regulator
2012-07-12_14-49-59_10.jpg

The Resistor is hanging out on the end because right now it's on 5v, I'll change it to 1.5v in the future.

Amp with Digital pot
2012-07-12_14-50-21_295.jpg

I still need to cut the board.

Lastly, the most vital part of my workstation, my dog.
2012-07-12_14-51-49_931.jpg

So thats about it so far, I still have lots of stuff to get in the mail. If it's anything like my N64, It will take forever to complete because I am lazy, so be patient.

EpIcSnIpErZ23 said:
Yo, for the triggers, I have the best idea. I use xbox 360 triggers. and mount them on the back.
really? how do you fix the digital click problem? I've been curious if this could be done.

I just bought an xbox 360 wired controller from gamestop, and for some reason, they just worked straight out of the xbox :D

EDIT: well dang it, the whole potentiometer melted, while i was resoldering permanent connections, I am just gonna use zenlocs Way :D. Link: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8383

Thanks for the suggestion, and I like Xbox triggers, but they would defiantly not work for this portable. I want it small and slim, so having Xbox triggers would not help that. I just want simple buttons that look good and Ill use the membrane tact on top off a normal tact method, or Zenloc's transistor method.

Vac formed the case today. It's a little rough right now and both halves need a little more sanding for them to fit together nicely but it's fine for now. I used the same dimensions I had planed, and with the thickness of the plastic the final dimensions of the case are 5 5/8" by 3 1/4".

Here are some pics

Outsides
2012-07-14_16-11-39_518.jpg

For some reason the bottom half in this picture looks a little bit skewed, I'm not sure why, but it looks fine in real life.

Insides
2012-07-14_16-11-58_782.jpg

Thickness
2012-07-14_16-12-43_14.jpg

Notice the halves don't fit together right, some more sanding will fix this. Also, they are thicker then they need to be, I will cut them down in the future

Size comparison with an N64 cart
2012-07-14_16-13-02_408.jpg

Next to my N64
2012-07-14_16-13-33_369.jpg

Started cutting up my case, got button holes and the screen hole done.

Here's it with the buttons in, but the ABXY buttons aren't pushed up all the way in this pic. The reason that the A button looks bad it because I messed it up, and had to fix it with epoxy. It will look fine when painted.
2012-07-23_22-21-47_806.jpg

Also, I wired up a memcard to slot A
2012-07-23_16-11-33_29.jpg

Lastly, I'm having trouble deciding on paint. I'm thinking of going with purple to go with the Metroid Prime 2 theme, but it might end up looking bad. I'm also seriously considering stenciling.

Go with matte black. It'll look awesome. Also, how'd you cut the XY buttons out?

For the XY buttons I traced an outline of the button onto the case, then dremmeled the basic shape in with a grinding bit. I stayed a couple mm from the outline, and finished with a rolled up piece of sandpaper, constantly checking it with the button to make sure I didn't over sand. Its takes awhile to make sure its good but its easy if you go slow. I actually did the same with the B button because its hard to line up a drill bit exactly where you want.

About the paint, I would love matte black, it's probably my favorite paint job for anything, but I'm not sure what clearcoat I'd use. The other thing is I already have a black portable, so another black one would be dull, but if I find a good way to paint matt black, I might do it.

I've heard of Montana Gold but never actually tried using it, now that I know they have a matte finish I'm going to have to get some. I think I'll buy some and test out colors, I like the Idea of matte black, but I'm not sure I want another black portable.

I like the white of the plastic; maybe if you put on a coat just to cover the lines and such?

Why not do an original gamecube color, like platinum or indigo?
Also, what memory card did you use, something with lots of memory, something with some memory, or something with little memory?

Back