Do WiiKey/Wasp answer Wii DVD drive "calls"?

Shank

Formerly Known As Dyxlesci
I am currently in the process of building a portable Wii. I am very fond of soft modding and USB loading. However, some USB/SD loaders make calls to the wii DVD drive board. It is rather large, and using a wiikey instead would save me quite a bit of space. Would a wasp "answer" calls to the DVD drive, and allow me to play games through my preferred method of wiiflow+dios mios?

EDIT: TL;DR Do wasps and wiiflow/dios mios play nice with each other?

most commands are implemented else it would not be a drive emulator...
some commands are ignored but should not be a problem for your needs....

megalomaniac said:
most commands are implemented else it would not be a drive emulator...
some commands are ignored but should not be a problem for your needs....

Terrific! I ordered one from BAC earlier today, so that should work great. Will the wiikey require its own SD card in order to function as a drive emulator?

devolution will actively search for WKF/WASP/WODE and determine those are not suitable for disc validation

i dont think this was performed in dios mios, but since WASP is a drive emulator, why not use it for GC titles and then wiiflow for wii titles?
or use WASP for all titles...
much easier solution considering...
you might want to use official 1.5 firmware rather than swiss depending on your needs...

bush would have more insight as he just completed a wii portable and attempted to do the same as you intend, but i think he ended up going a different route...a better route...i just dont remember off hand what he felt worked best.

megalomaniac said:
devolution will actively search for WKF/WASP/WODE and determine those are not suitable for disc validation

One of the many reasons I avoid devolution

megalomaniac said:
i dont think this was performed in dios mios, but since WASP is a drive emulator, why not use it for GC titles and then wiiflow for wii titles?
or use WASP for all titles...
much easier solution considering...
you might want to use official 1.5 firmware rather than swiss depending on your needs...
Running it all through wiiflow with a dios mios plugin just seems so much more user friendly. Its all in one place, through one one customizable system, in a clean unified user interface.

megalomaniac said:
bush would have more insight as he just completed a wii portable and attempted to do the same as you intend, but i think he ended up going a different route...a better route...i just dont remember off hand what he felt worked best.
I had already talked with him. IIRC, he is not a fan of soft mods, and had trouble with boards bricking. For him, the decision was simply a matter of preference, as he was more accustomed to hard mods

Speaking of the devil,

I had the same dilemma as you. I started out trying to use WiiFlow for GC/Wii loading. The issue I ran into was that Dios Mios/Devoloution/Nintendon't route is just not compatible enough, requires updates and lots of troubleshooting. For whatever reason, I couldn't even get DM to work at all. Devolution would be nice, but the anti-piracy protection limits you severely and you need a DD to scan in games. Nintendon't is just too young for good compatibility.

While WiiFlow can run Wii games fine, it does misbehave from time to time. Crashes and DREs were very common for me. I ended up just using it as the front end for the Wii, since you can operate it with any controller and access HBC software, emus, etc.

A WASP with Swiss flashed was the solution for me. Boot to disc from WiiFlow into swiss and there's your GC titles, or load a WKFdol to boot into stock firmware and there's your Wii games. You have to swap SDs but for the sake of simplicity and reliability I think it's worth it. By all means give Wii loading and DML a shot, but if you run into issues I'd cut your losses and buy a WASP.

I also tried a hybrid approach, where I used the WKF for GC titles and Wiiflow for Wii games by connecting the DVD drive PCB to the WKF passthrough port. Unfortunately, this method only resulted in DREs. I changed PCBs, drive power and FFC cables to no avail. It seems that WiiFlow doesn't like flatmode.

If you can somehow get decent GC emulation working, go for it. Personally though, it isn't worth the trouble. I had 2 boards brick because of Priiloader and CIOS issues related to WiiFlow loading, so be careful. If you end up using a WASP and need the DOL files for booting into the stock WKF firmware (for Wii loading), Mega probably still has them; if not I have copies and if all else fails they are buried under pages and pages of threads on GC Forever.

Good luck!

Back