ctf_pine: a TF2 map-building project

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
A few days back, maybe a week or so now, I was bored and decided to play around with Hammer. I've made basic maps before, but nothing that had any actual goals, and when I was forced to reinstall Windows 7 a few months back, I lost the work I had done previously. This time, however, I made a complete basic map, named simply test3. It was barebones to be sure -- no skybox (I just closed up the ceiling), flags that could be picked up but not captured, etc. However, fun and lulz were had on it, so I decided I'd try to actually make a real map out of it. With the help of Thursty, who is currently working on making the map look good, and J.D, who's given us both creative advice, plus the members of MR and friends of friends who playtested the map and gave their own ideas, it's slowly becoming a reality.

My map design went through five stages in total. The first iteration, test3, was more or less the first full map. From there, having added flag capture triggers and thus made the map usable as a Capture the Flag map, I named it Unknown (since I couldn't think of a name for it), and Alpha 1 was completed. From there, I made improvements based on my own observation and from the observation of others, fixed things, had people test it, wash, rinse, repeat. Alpha 4, the most recent version I built, was the last one I worked on. My next step was handing the files created by Hammer off to Thursty, who, as I previously mentioned, is currently working on making the map look pretty and professional, and at least for now, we're calling it ctf_pine.

These are the changelogs I kept of each iteration of the map I worked on:

ctf_unknown_a1 changelog said:
Fixes (from test3):

• Intel no longer gets stuck in spawn room
  • Gap between Blu stairs and wall near resupply fixed
  • Resupply entry denial symbol now on correct side of door
  • Intel can now be captured
  • Unlevel floors fixed
  • Fixed the floor texture above Blu resupply

Changes:

• Open-sky courtyard
  • More Sniper-friendly
  • Demomen and Soldiers can now explosive jump to the intelligence level through the front of the base
  • Low additional wall added to intel level

Still needs:

• More health and ammo points
  • Decals
  • Props
  • Better textures ("So it doesn't look like Counter-Strike" - J.D)

ctf_unknown_a2 changelog said:
Fixes (from alpha 1)

• Added player clip to prevent roof access
  • Added player clip to prevent Soldiers and Demomen from jumping over the courtyard's walls

Changes:

• Added small health and ammo boxes to the intelligence level to give Soldiers and Demomen a small incentive to explosive jump up there
  • Extended the wall that separates the ground floor into two halves
  • Added walls in the courtyard to provide protection from Snipers
  • Added stairs leading down from the courtyard into the tunnel
  • Changed tunnel texture
  • Added pedestals for each team's intel

Still needs:

• Decals
  • Props
  • Better textures

ctf_unknown_a3 changelog said:
Fixes (from alpha 2):

• Added frames around Sniper windows so they could be distinguished from a distance
  • Made the roof officially accessible by Soldiers and Demomen
  • Changed the location of health and ammo boxes slightly
  • Increased the size of the player clip box over the base

Changes:

• Moved the resupply cabinets against the resupply walls
  • Added a ledge to the front of each base -- this assists Soldiers in rocket jumping up to the roof and allows FaN Scouts to access the intel level through the front of the base if they jump up from a courtyard wall
  • Added a hole in the roof to allow entry into the base from above, or exit from the intel room to the roof
  • Added low walls to the roof to provide some Sniper cover or protection from other attack
  • Added trim around each base's entrances and to the roof (for aesthetic appeal)
  • Increased the size of the skybox

Still needs:

• Decals
  • Props
  • Better textures

ctf_unknown_a4 changelog said:
Fixes (from alpha 3):

• Fixed spawn doors getting stuck open when someone dies there
  • Fixed players getting stuck in spawn door
  • Widened the ledges on the front of each base slightly so Engineers can build on them

Changes made:

• Added medium health and ammo boxes to the roof
  • Pulled the trim on the roof back slightly to aid in rocket jumping up to it from the ledge on the front of the base

Still needs:

• Decals
  • Props
  • Better textures

Screenshots coming soon.

EDIT: 1337th post for the win! :awesomeTW:

I can try to help with giving advice and beta testing and all that.(Perfect way to test my soon to be gaming rig, also)

I played A4 with Thursty yesterday, and holy flax it is awesome. When we were testing for A1, I got a couple Steam friends like "Danger" Chicken Legs and we had some fun on the map. A2 and A3 were just as fun, and I'm very glad about the direction this map's been going.

I was going to try Hammer, even had it open once, but never did. This might inspire me. Then again, I'm a really lazy prick.

Hammer is okay for doing the general layout of the map, but it's really annoying when you have to add all the details with it. (But what do you expect from a free tool that hasn't changed since the Clinton administration?)

I wish there was an environment like a stripped-out Garry's Mod you could use to add textures and details to the maps in a first-person perspective. That would make detailing maps a Heck of a lot easier.

bic said:
Hammer is okay for doing the general layout of the map, but it's really annoying when you have to add all the details with it. (But what do you expect from a free tool that hasn't changed since the Clinton administration?)

I wish there was an environment like a stripped-out Garry's Mod you could use to add textures and details to the maps in a first-person perspective. That would make detailing maps a Heck of a lot easier.

Meh, well for me I've just been using the Dang thing so long, I can do pretty extensive work relatively quickly.

It's just all about learning the key commands for everything, then it's like a game, really.

I love just how much you can do in Sketchup.
Especially considering that Sketchup was made with architectural design in mind.
It's got tools specifically to help you re-create buildings and structures from photographs.

And Valve being Valve, they released plugins for it, so you can export Sketchup models to Hammer.

You can? That's awesome! I'm actually somewhat good in sketchup, maybe I can somehow help.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with what Thursty's done with the map so far. Not only is it looking fantastic, he's kept the map's essential design in terms of balance excellently, more-or-less as balanced as I tried to make my original design, and whenever I had any quibbles with it, he fixed them very well. He's the man. :awesomeTW: :awesomethursty:

He's also managed to create alternate game modes -- last night, Thursty, J.D, myself, jelly, Zero, and someone else I probably forgot, plus bots, all played a few rounds of King of the Hill. It worked excellently.

As soon as I get to try out the most recent version of what he's working on, I'll take some screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Also, mako, if you're good with Sketchup, I might hire you to help me out with another TF2 map I'd like to create. ;)

Well, I have news.

koth_pine is now gonna be on a real TF2 server. :awesomeTW:

"Ed, due to the high quality of your map and excellent structure for playing with limited people (as we usually have limited people on the server) it has been approved and will be added to the map rotation the moment I'm at home and remember to do so.

Thank you for contributing brotha'."

http://seriousclan.com/showthread.php?2 ... 1#post3448

EES GOOD

Back