Congrats Palmer

Oh I see. Yeah, wasn't planning on emailing him, it just seemed like he had his own website or something. Guess not.

sidenote, I hope larger companies don't steal the momentum Palmer has created with the Rift. Granted the path to the consumer market may be a bloody one...

Tchay said:
sidenote, I hope larger companies don't steal the momentum Palmer has created with the Rift. Granted the path to the consumer market may be a bloody one...
One thing he does have going for him possibly is that it takes a special programming to work with his particular device because of the optics, and he's got the leg-up when it comes to awareness of his product from developers.

Has anyone else noticed that John Carmack seems to be working to distance himself from the project now that it's gathered so much attention?

grossaffe said:
One thing he does have going for him possibly is that it takes a special programming to work with his particular device because of the optics, and he's got the leg-up when it comes to awareness of his product from developers.
Unless one of the big 3 decide to bring something similar into the console world.

ttsgeb said:
Has anyone else noticed that John Carmack seems to be working to distance himself from the project now that it's gathered so much attention?
How so? I did notice he had to clarify and tell people he wasn't a part of it and just a supporter. However, that's the truth and I don't see it as distancing himself because that was his position from the start. He did do a panel with Palmer at QuakeCon, and is including Doom 3 BFG with all the kickstarter Rifts.

I thought the guy sounded like he liked the idea of the thing, without wanting to sound like he's trying to take any credit for something that is not his and at the same time wanting to help out and not seem like some sort of corporate greed sponsor. Each person was promoting themselves and supporting the others, without any debates. It was cool.

I think Carmack is a big supporter. Only Palmer really knows how much though. Zero made a good point brining up the big 3. That kinda worries me now that I think about it. What's to stop one of the larger companies from being like "oh hey, thats a good idea, lets get on that" and use their myriad of resources to kill any competition.

As long as Palmer has patented his work (which I assume he has) and isn't revealing his FULL deck of cards by sending out Rift kits to deveopers and fans, then he might be safe from larger companies stepping in. Palmer's smart though; I'm sure he thought about ALL of this a while ago.

Or he figured he'd wait till tomorrow....

The problem I can see with a bigger company trying to make something similar is they would go the cheaper route, even if it means cutting awesomeness. And Mario already said that the Rift is gonna be as awesome as possible without worrying about the price as much.

Sony would want $1,000 just for there name, look at there multy tuch tables, and how much cheaper it is to buy a large lcd tv and a tuch kit for it to make one of equal quality. they want that big mark up in price to help pay for all the ones that sit on the selves forever.

I came to this site right away for a congrats when I read his name on Yahoo News. Awesome job, Palmer! This is really incredible!

Back