Best SNES Variant?

Dr.Rawr

I was searching through the forums and I saw that a lot of people used different SNES variants (Retro Duo, SNES Mini, Normal SNES), and I found my self not being able to decide which to get for my portable that I'll probably never get done.

Could someone recommend to me the best SNES to portabilize, (obviously) taking size and easiness to work with into major account?

Tia,
-Me

EDIT: Sounds like I'm getting an SNES mini. Thanks guys.

I'd say mini SNES. It's relatively small, and doesn't require much modification. The Retro Duo is smaller but you have to do quite a bit of modding IIRC. The regular SNES is just huge, avoid it.

XCVG said:
I'd say mini SNES. It's relatively small, and doesn't require much modification. The Retro Duo is smaller but you have to do quite a bit of modding IIRC. The regular SNES is just huge, avoid it.
retro duo doesnt require much modding. where'd you read that? the biggest problem with an of the clone systems is compatibility. i too recommend snes mini.

I heard that if you remove the NES part you only get RGB out, and you have to build a booster and power regulator. I could be thinking of something else, though.

On the FC Twin, you can easily remove the NES section, and the SNES and Power boards can be cut down to tiny sizes (keep the power board, as the CXA encoder boosts and buffers the RGB signals; otherwise RGB looks like flax from it), far smaller than a retro duo. I don't know why everyone whines about compatibility; mine has kicked the ass of every retro duo I've used. Maybe I had a late one, I don't know.

here, use the mainboard from an FC-16 go. i will make a diagram soon, in theory. its the smallest SNOAC out there.

themadhacker said:
I doubt any snes clone has full compatibility.
Wasn't there a mini snes clone that looks almost exactly like a mini snes, and has 100% compatibility? I remember reading about that in the wiki (not that the wiki can even be used anymore, :lol: )

Yeah there is, and it's at that place with all the pinouts (game and had an x somewhere in the name, gamex? xgame?). Doubt it has PERFECT compatibility though.

But mini snes's have perfect compatibility, and run about $50. You can find them for about $30 if you look hard. The only downside is that they are a bit larger than clones and consume more amperage. But, that's the price you pay for original hardware.

samjc3 said:
here, use the mainboard from an FC-16 go. i will make a diagram soon, in theory. its the smallest SNOAC out there.

Won't run Tetris & Dr. Mario. It complains about a region lockout; likely, it presents itself as a Japanese unit.

Back