Batteryspace 7.4v Charge Management Board

See the way a Smart Charger works is by providing a set amount of charging current depending on the batteries and their capacity and charge rate.

And with 4500mAh batteries you will probably need the majority of the smart chargers current to charge the batteries.

Trying to play and charge is not a good idea because the batteries might not be getting the full charging current they need.

So playing and charging with Lithium's = Not a good idea.

The charging amperage doesn't matter, just the voltage. They'll just charge very very slowly.

βeta said:
The charging amperage doesn't matter, just the voltage. They'll just charge very very slowly.

Not true at all. The amperage does matter. A lithium polymer cell has a recommended charge amperage for a reason. Some have a recommended .5C rate most have a max 1.0C rate. Your battery will last longer and retain efficiency if charged at the recommended rate.

Also you can use too high an amperage charger on too low a capacity battery and blow it up.

I wish I had a CMB. I had to use a fancy huge battery pack thingy.

Anyway, you COULD power a portable with a smart charger. But they don't make the 1.5A one anymore IIRC and you won't get much charging action going. But with this you can just grab a wall wart with appropriate voltage and plug it in. There's one last advantage that nobody has mentioned. You can make/buy a car power adaptor or external battery pack thingy. The first is a big thing for me because I play mostly in the car.

I was gonna say, 1.5A is not a lot of output but I see that has been mentioned already.
An N64 draws about 600mAh with a PTH08080, a 4-LED modded PSone screen about 350, Add the controller and stuff and you have about 1050mAh. You'd have to add another 250mAh before you really get into some low charge currents for the batteries.

Neat find, Beta.

How does the n64 only draw 600mah with pth08000waz when the power supply for the n64 power supply says the 3.3v line is 2.2 amps.

Hifeno said:
How does the n64 only draw 600mah with pth08000waz when the power supply for the n64 power supply says the 3.3v line is 2.2 amps.

That's still a matter of controversy.

The N64 I am currently using draws around 1.5A with an unmodded Psone screen. So it is actually pulling around 800mA.

And I've used some of the first revisions that pulled 1.2A by itself.

I think different revisions pull different amounts.

And I have yet to find one that pulls just 600mA.

If you guys are worried about charging and playing at the same time, then why dont you take a couple 1.2A smart chargers (which are easy to get a hold of) and wire them in parallel with a custom case or something? You could get a faster charge as well. (I'm pretty sure)

BUMP

I'll take this time to ask some noob questions:
Is is POSSIBLE to play and charge for the GAMECUBE? N64 seems to be debatable, but what about the high drawing gamecube???

I ask this because I don't want to make a 3 way switch. I would rather have a 2-way switch with ON - OFF/charging(also as a wall power)
^ Not sure if thats even possible. Batteries are the one thing I am horrible at. Thats why the Ccube didn't have any :/

EDIT: I noticed Shockslayers battery diagram. I'm guessing that will work to play and charge if the charge rate exceeds the gamecubes draw (in which case using 7.4v batteries is a bad idea). I'm not sure how the smart charger would play into all of this...
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... aplug.aspx
^ maybe this charger would work for 7.4v batteries (2 3.7v in series). high enough to play and charge perhaps?

If you read the fine print on that module it says it doesnt allow charge and discharge at the same time. :/

Back