Audio issues with gamecube (mainly the LM386 amp)

Tchay

Frequent Poster
I have tried using this amp 3 times now

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1231&start=30

My sound works PERFECTLY FINE with my TV with volume on high. No noise or distortion.

With the LM386, however, I get crappy sound, lots of noise, and the sound only works if I wire the audio input through one of those tiny capacitors that Ashen says to wire back onto the L and R audio lines (see his mobo guide for reference). Which is totally weird.

That aside, I KNOW I have it wired up perfectly, and even SS sent me one of his and it has the same distorted audio. Granted I am using a 35v 220uF instead of a 16v 220uF. But I doubt that would matter....

I then tried using Benheck's wiring setup, which gave the SAME distorted sound.

I then tried using 4, 13K ohm resistors together on the audio input line. It dimmed the sound, but the noise did not go away. If anything it got louder.

I am giving the amp 5v, using the standard setup shown in the above thread by Zeturi. I do not have the POT setup; I am wiring straight to the amp chip from the AV chip (pin 1 only). I have tried a 4Ohm speaker, and then one of my tiny cell phone speakers. Both give the same distortion.

Normally I'd use my iLuv amp, but its borked and its too big for my portable. I need this to work since its small.

Someone please help. I could finish this dang portable if the sound worked properly :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:

No not using shielded wire. But since it works fine on the TV, I don't think thats the issue.

Also, I have tried 5v, 12v, 3.4v, and 1.9v

12v makes more noise, 3.4v gets less noise but does not fix the problem at all. 1.9v is not enough to power amp.

If you're using OMGWTFSHAYSHAY cut mb, which I know you are. AND you wired direct to the A/V chip, which I know you did. You dont need 12v going to the mb AND you need to rip off the preamp chip from the mb.

If that doesnt work, try putting a 100-200ohm resistor on the speakers ground line.

Do be sure that the speaker's leads are going to areas intended for speaker leads...

resistors should not be put on the amp's output.

Ashen said:
If you're using OMGWTFSHAYSHAY cut mb, which I know you are. AND you wired direct to the A/V chip, which I know you did. You dont need 12v going to the mb AND you need to rip off the preamp chip from the mb.

If that doesnt work, try putting a 100-200ohm resistor on the speakers ground line.

Okay I just did all of the above. Didn't fix the problem sadly :(

***** I get the same static problem on my spare rev C cube WHICH I HAVENT EVEN OPENED UP.

This means the problem lies with the amp itself and not my board. Yay...sorta.

I suppose my wiring could somehow be off, but theres only so many places I could screw up this little chip.

But I need an amp. That is small, and that works. And I need it before Tuesday. What can I do??

Ashen said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Nano-Touch-Mini-Portable-Amplifier-Speaker-Black-/280748068586?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item415de38eea

Also, post pictures of how you have your flax wired or PM them to me at the very least. Pics help so much to pinpoint problems like this.

Okay, its just really difficult. I have to litterally pick up my macbook and use the camera thats on the top front of the screen plate. Took a good 10 minutes to get you those mobo pics I sent.

Ashen said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Nano-Touch-Mini-Portable-Amplifier-Speaker-Black-/280748068586?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item415de38eea

Also, post pictures of how you have your flax wired or PM them to me at the very least. Pics help so much to pinpoint problems like this.
I have that amp, cant find where to wire L,R,gnd,etc. If you have one,know how to wire it, you should post it.

Orange = 5v power
Then the + side of cap is going to pin 5 (left of the orange wire)
Also, on that pole coming out of the cap is the - of the 220uF cap. The red wire attached to it is the + speaker.
tlUY4.jpg

another angle of 5v orange wire. To the right of it is where the .1uF ceramic cap is going. One more right is a pin that is ignored (pin 8)
6XvIZ.jpg

Other side. Ceramic going to pins 4 and 2 which are grounded. Pin 3 (brown wire) goes to audio input of pin 1 on the gamecube AV chip. Tiny red wire is grounded ( - speaker)
LkEnh.jpg

Try wiring the LM386 EXACTLY as I've shown. I just looked at the datasheet for a while, and to me this is how it should be wired:

Capture-9.png

I've not shown the potentiometer to adjust volume. we need to get the actual amp working right before we *Can'tSayThisOnTV* with anything else or add other problematic things to the mix.

It isn't the wiring, Tchay and I spent several hours last night trouble shooting, using just the barebones diagram(like that) and various others.

After using shielded wire for input and power, noise was virtually eliminated, and using a better potentiometer(which Tchay just picked up today I believe) gets rid of the bass issue he was having.

SS

Ahh, I wasn't aware the problem had been fixed. Tchays post in the MB thread lead me to believe he was still having issues.

zeturi said:

You did a great job making the amp thread, and its not your fault that the LM386 sucks.

EDIT: 6:45am and I am still awake.

working on the Envision...

Back