[ASK] Dell Inspiron 13R or APPLE MacBook [MC516ZA/A]

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
I'm not sure about GeForce 320M vs Radeon HD 5470, but the Dell has a newer generation CPU, more RAM, and a bigger hard drive. Mac is overpriced, go with the Dell.

It depends on your uses.
If you're going to be doing CPU-intensive tasks, go for the Dell.
If you want reliability(To a degree) and great customer support, go with the Macbook.
Personally, though? I wouldn't buy either of them.
Go on Ebay and get a good Thinkpad T61 for cheap and use that.
Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad- ... 577wt_1139
If that's too big for uses, go with an X61 or X120e(With an E-350 APU instead of the E240).
Oh, and XCVG, don't bother looking for benchmarks between the two video cards, as Apple decided to steal most of the shader cores from their 320Ms and hid them in Steve Jobs' anus or something.

Thinkpad fanboy warning

It's 14", but if it's within your budget think about a Thinkpad T420. Lenovo's laptops generally have much nicer keyboards and build quality than Dell's consumer models (which feel like flimsy plastic toys). Dell's business grade laptops are on par with Lenovo and Apple.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co ... D7713BB6D6

The x120e is great as far as netbooks go, but don't expect it to be a gaming powerhouse. It can handle most games fine on balanced settings. I have its predecessor (the x100e) and while I can't vouch for the new APU's performance, they both share identical bodies and screens. The keyboard is relatively small but comfortable to use, and the screen's size and resolution (11.6" at 1366x768) go together perfectly. It's also very easy to get at all the major components. (Seven screws take the bottom cover off giving you access to all the slots, memory, and hard drive, and an additional two screws remove the keyboard so you can get at both sides of the heatsink and fan to dust them.)

Don't be afraid to check vendor outlets. If you're buying refurbished right from the OEM, you usually get a warranty and you can save about 1/3 of the purchase price over a new one in most cases. Also, don't bother with preinstalled memory upgrades. RAM is very cheap to buy separately (unless things are different in Indonesia), and very easy to install yourself, so if you buy and install your own RAM you can get more for your money.

What sort of use are you wanting from the laptop? Also Lenovo isn't the only company that makes laptops, and I'm tired of people acting that way. Asus, Sony, Toshiba, Dell, MSI also make good laptops, so don't be afraid to look at those.

Bush said:
Also Lenovo isn't the only company that makes laptops, and I'm tired of people acting that way.
You mean, like, the three times Levano has even been mentioned on ModRetro? :p

Dell (consumer level) sucks, Apple sucks, I wouldn't go with either laptop. I'm an Asus fan, so I may be kinda bias, but get an Asus laptop man. Or if you can afford one, a Sony laptop.

Bush said:
Mako mentions Lenovo every other time laptops are discussed in chat :D
For good reason. They are fluxing bulletproof. Ive got one here thats got a 300mhz celeron, 128mb of ram, 4gb hdd, that still runs great. Its gotta be 10 years old or more. And they are very good value for money.

Also, Asus FTW. I adore my asus G73. Its a bit big, but thats to be expected from a 17.3" lappy. Its built incredibly well, is great looking, was far more powerful than anything else in its price class (1.66ghz i7, dual 320gb 7200 rpm hdds, 6gb ddr3, GTX 460 M for $1300 brand new about a year ago). And my eee 701 still functions despite the terrble things Ive done to it, and gets 10 hours on the original battery. (it was bought on launch day too).

Sony makes good stuff, but its generally more expensiver than the quality increase dictates vs other things available. I personally have had awful experiences with dell, and dont recommend them. Acer is flux. Ive never used MSI, but I really like the look of the timeline series. And mac is essentially garbage for what you pay. You could buy an equivalent laptop for less than 1/3 the price almost always, and you can get something far far far better for the same price. And if you are, for some horrible reason, attached to os-x, its quite easy to run on a pc.

I own an Acer Aspire 3820TG, and it is very nice. I wouldn't bash the thing around, but build quality is pretty good. The one big downside is the glossy screen. If you can get the 3820TG, it's a nice laptop, but I'm sure there are other, better models out there now.

Few alternatives are as reliable and well built as Thinkpads.
I am a man who likes a good Asus laptop, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back