The XGC; SS's Most B-E-A-utiful portable ever!

Tchay said:
So sad batteries didn't work out. But then again, I've never been an advocate of batteries as I think they are completely pointless to have in these units. Looks beautiful.

hailrazer said:
I am totally of the opposite opinion. To me it makes absolutely no sense to have a portable with no internal batteries. If I need to plug it in the wall and be stuck playing it at my house, I will use the console and controller and plug it into my 60" plasma :)

I semi agree with the both of you to be honest, While I don't think that internal batteries are totally pointless and I do agree with Hail about the 60" plasma. I also think that external battery packs are totally legit and when a unit is made this small or close to it. The size trade off made by the sacrifice of internal batts is totally worth it.

You also have to realize just how hot things get in a GC portable of this size, I for one will NEVER feel comfortable installing a lithium polymer pack anywhere near the motherboard or heatsink in a unit this size. Its just not a good idea, IMO.

Please no-one take this as me putting this portable down.

I'm headed to ShockSlayers house to fondle this thing as soon as my wife falls asleep. ;)

Well I can see not having batteries for heat problems, but I also think on some things its better to have them external if your going to play it in the car or someplace else. It adds to the durability of the portable in my opinion of having them external, and less things can go wrong. If you also have external batteries that can use the original adaptor its great for if you leave for college and it gets boxed up for a while and you possibly cant find the right charger for the batteries you just use the original powersupply as it doesnt have batteries. And another plus is you reduce the weight of the unit.

Major props and likes SS. You did a perfect combination of electronics sexyness combined with case sexyness.

Adding a spacer and batteries as soon as I can afford it. :p Oh, and I'm not even sure. This portable was designed to be compatible with various different methods of add-ons and docking systems; something I tried to do with the TSF but never really got around to doing it. I'll be sure to post those whever I get around to building them.

I've experienced all types of portable powering. Everything from giant ass-car batteries to li-ions to li-polys to nothing. Honestly, I prefer li-polys, as long as they are put into the portable in a way that makes sense and is safe. There are pros and cons to everything, you just have to pick the one that makes the most sense to your application.

SS

For something like an N64p, there's not much point in leaving out batteries. However for a GC which needs 4 cells, the sacrifice of batteries not only makes it smaller, but lighter. Not to mention the possibility of those heavy cells coming loose and destroying everything inside (if they're not packed well).

The shoulder buttons are RetroDuo buttons. The circular ones. The press down on the membrane from GC shoulder buttons, and hit the carbon contacts from GC shoulder buttons. they are mounted via epoxy, superglue, and hotglue.

SS

Great job, SS! I'm glad I was able to be of help to you in building this. Your improvement on the audio amp seems to have worked out well, it sounds good.

WOSHIP

ShockSlayer said:
The shoulder buttons are RetroDuo buttons. The circular ones. The press down on the membrane from GC shoulder buttons, and hit the carbon contacts from GC shoulder buttons. they are mounted via epoxy, superglue, and hotglue.

SS

LINK please.

Back