Sam's PCp

samjc3

#1 Female Member
First off, I need a good standard USB game controller. Standard 2 stick, 4 face, dpad, four shoulder button setup. I have thought about using the USB xbox 360 controller, but its guts arent exactly small. And small would be GREATLY preferred. Any suggestions?

Secondly, TinyXP. Specifically Beast Edition. I cant find that much info on it, but it seems like what I need. Low overhead, great performance. What I cant figure, though, is how well it will perform on new games. Or would it be better to get tinyXP rev 3?

Third, how does running an alternate desktop under windows work? Id like to run blackbox to save system resources, but, based on what ive seen, from when I had vistAIDS + blackbox, explorer still runs, so it doesnt save anything. Is this so? Is there a way around it?

EDIT:

Making this into a worklog.

Re: Several things: USB game controllers, tinyXP

Please don't get beast edition. It was created as a novelty TinyXP release on 6/6/6. It wasn't designed for everyday use, and is 4 years old. You wont like it trust me. For some reason everybody jumped to Beast edition, but it's basically a joke by the Dev. Get TinyXP rev 09.

pccon.jpg

MadCatz PC Con. Best analog sticks ever, pretty nice back triggers. I got two in '05 or so, been using them till now. Perfect for gamecube games.

mako321 said:
pccon.jpg

MadCatz PC Con. Best analog sticks ever, pretty nice back triggers. I got two in '05 or so, been using them till now. Perfect for gamecube games.
OH MY GOD.
I didnt know they made those for PC. I used one for ps2 for years. Mine was a microcon. if i can get a microcon for PC, that would be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

Also, good to know about Beast edition. Thanks for that info Desmin. Something else about Tinyxp; Do I need a product key, or is all the stupid windows piracy protection fixed? people in the comments on the torrent I got seem to be all up in a tizzy about whether or not they need a key, and nobody seems to know fosho.

XCVG, no, its certainly not an arcade cab. think smaller.

You dont need a cdkey, piracy protection is fixed.

Just NEVER use windows update.

Alrighty. that works for me. Downloading rev10 right now.

Nice. Just you should know, some compatibility errors will arise.

I had a problem with printers not being able to be used through USB.

Oh and, if you want even smaller system ram usage, and less space, get MicroXP. A tinier version of TinyXP.

I use it on my pentium laptop dinosaur.

The torrent Ive got has Tiny and Micro. However, I need goodish (Im not gonna give up for printer bullflax) compatibility. Enough to play games. Id like to use Steam too, and multiplayer isnt out of the question, so I'll need good networking support.

TinyXP and MicroXP both have some problems with printers from my experience.

However, all of them with play every game just fine.

You're building a PC inside a controller?!

PCp? Controller inside a computer?

Yes, PCp. Ive got a really nice 7" VGA + USB touchscreen (800x480) on the way, and Im gonna order the computer tomorrow. Battery will most likely be a heavily modified energizer xp18000, since I need 20v for the PC, and 12 for the screen. Although, Its possible that the PC will run off 12v. I will find out when I get it.

mako321 said:
pccon.jpg

Dude, you're the best. I'm totally getting that controller.

Also, get MicroXP. Bootup time is like 10 seconds, runs super fast on my old laptop All I need is the drivers :(((

I wish I could get microxp working on my netbook! >: ( . But I s'pose that's what I get for all those stupid usb installers.

I have MicroXP, tinyXP and Full XP on the same disc, all sp3 february 2010 updated versions. At the moment, ive loaded tinyXP on an Acer aspire one (atom n270, 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, intel graphics) and Im getting pretty good performance. I'll load MicroXP on the Foxconn, and see how that works out. Screen should be here on monday.

For now, Im gonna use a stick of ddr2 800 (1gb, 200pin) that I have on hand, and a 250gb 7200 rpm 2.5" sata drive. I would love to use an SSD, but seeing as how this things for gaming, I need a pretty good amount of storage. (my steam folder is ~150 gbs, and I dont have many games) And big SSD's, they cost way too much.

For controller, Im trying to find a madcatz microcon for 360, but the only ons on eBay are in Australia, and quite overpriced.

They have them at gamestop, I'm pretty sure I saw them when picking up other m.

Back