jelte1234's psonep worklog

jelte1234

yay! :dahroll: this will be my worklog.

first, i have a few questions.

does the psone really need heatsinking at those copper spots on the back of the board??

and what kind of cable can i use to relocate the discdrive? (+ shop)

I got a dualshock 2 sony, what is that weird cross-thingy doing near the d-pad?

is there another option like: a controller ( with sticks) that just has a normal board and not a conductive layer of paint? :( the way it is now I don't really know how I should relocate everything..

what is best for psone screen board cutting? a iron saw? just a nail file? a multitool with a cutting disk?

srry, I know this are noob questions, but i'm kinda new to modding..

jelte1234 said:
does the psone really need heatsinking at those copper spots on the back of the board??
Don't know.

Don't know.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Link?

is there another option like: a controller ( with sticks) that just has a normal board and not a conductive layer of paint? :( the way it is now I don't really know how I should relocate everything..
Earlier-revision DualShock 1 controllers have normal boards, but you can't tell without opening them up. Most third party controllers are probably like that too.

what is best for psone screen board cutting? a iron saw? just a nail file? a multitool with a cutting disk?
I don't know about PSone screen boards, but I trim others with scissors. Not the best way to do it, but it works for me.

Welcome to ModRetro!

XCVG said:
jelte1234 said:
Psone needs no heatsinking at all.

IDE worked fine on a test I did. try to keep it as short as possible though.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Link?

All the controls can be rewired to that small circuit board pretty easily. theres a diagram in Bens book for it.

I use a chainsaw.

Welcome to ModRetro!

-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-

I smalled my psone screen down! I also plan to led mod it. how many leds should I go with? 4? 6? 8? I want it to be really bright and witout dark corners/spots.

jelte1234 said:
yay! :dahroll: this will be my worklog.

first, i have a few questions.

srry, I know this are noob questions, but i'm kinda new to modding..

The PSone needs 1x Heatsink on the CPU ONLY. Most say that this is not recommended, but I say be smart and put one as the metal UF shield acts as one anyway.

The cable for the disc drive should be just AWG-30. Just get standard wire that is basically the same as the 4-pin wire that controls the drive/motor.

Dual-Shock 2 is not really a good idea as it was not designed really for the PS1/one. I would use a standard 3rd party controller. 3rd party, as you should never destroy the originals and they do not have the plastic pad you were asking about. The basic controller is not a also the best one, but yea - try not to waste the originals!

A Dremel works best, or a hack saw with a very fine blade. Just be sure that you clamp it down lightly and do not put excessive force on the PCB as it will snap and or crack the solder joints.

Thats alright :dahroll:

jelte1234 said:
-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-update-

I smalled my psone screen down! I also plan to led mod it. how many leds should I go with? 4? 6? 8? I want it to be really bright and witout dark corners/spots.

4 is the max you can install. You can try and put 8, but I doubt it will work. Just run them at 3.7 Volts if you got 3 Volt LED's to give them an extra kick ;)

Though, it will burn them out quick is all...

Thanks

HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP!

my modchip's wire has gone loose!!! and i don't know where to solder it......... I didn't take a picture.. i have a 4 wire modchip, and the wire most to the middle of the board is gone.. (pal console) the chip looks like this:

___
still there -| |-still there
-| |-
- this one -| |-
still there -| |-
----

(the chip is a little less high, its almost square)

does anyone know where to solder????? it should be somewhere near the small capacitor above the dd port..

( and no, google is not my friend... I couldn't find it..)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello People,
I bought the leds from ebay, and was now wondering about controllers.

what do you guys think of making it gamecube setup? (the buttons on the right included) and are there a lot of games where you must use the d-pad or it is really irritating to use the joystick?

and, I still don't know about my modchip.. anyone got something???w

Jelte1234.

Gamecube setup is nice. I don't know how many games use the D-Pad, but more use the analog stick. If you like it better that way, make it that way.

Sorry, you'll have to take a picture and give more information if you want any help with the modchip.

the leds arrived. what resistor should I use?
I plan on using 6 leds. and what would be a nice brightnesspot?
and ill post modchip pictures asap. im typing on my kindle 3
:D
should i for the controller just get a 8 dollar controller from dealextreme or is it worth ripping an original? i plan on using ps2 joysticks from a broken controller. and should i also just get a cheap ps controller from dealextreme?

thanks for all the help,
Jelte1234.

edit.
i soldered the leds in series with a 80 ohm resistor. but when i
tested it i didnt get anything.... the leds work fine apart. i got this from an led calculator on the internet.. and what does forward voltage mean? i typed 0.00000001 in there.. if i typed 5 in there it says all parralel with each a 1 ohm resistor..
now which way should i wire it?

Back