my first N64 need help

ARmodder

I am working on a N64 portable and this is my first and it is thin but not impossible. I have a few questions if anyone can help , first is what type of batteries should I use . I think that's all I really need to know . I don't have a meter for anything I'm trying to stay on a low budget . I do not want to do any cutting to the board .

Hey! First of all you should use li-po batteries, flat ones, like these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/1-2cratepol ... packs.aspx

you need 2 of them minimum, wire two of them in series to double the voltage, so you'll get 7.4v!

2800mah is a good capacity.

Second, buy a meter, you may be thinking you can cut on that, but you can't, you will surely need one, check pawn shops, really cheap price!

And it's ok not cutting the board, your portable will be bigger, but many people did it and it can be really great!

I can give you the advice to buy everything you need before thinking about casing, so you can figure out how everything will take place.

Last advice, everything you need is on the mega-sticky, if you have questions, just ask!

+1 for Batteryspace.

Don't count out Li-ions either, they are the same technology but a different shape (traditional round vs flat) and some people find them easier to fit into their cases. It really depends on how much room you have, and what battery shape will best fit given your situation.

Secondly, you will need a total of 7.4v from at least 2 cells. A single li-po or li-ion cell delivers an average voltage of 3.7v as it discharges (starts at 4.2v, drains down to 3.3v or so). So how do you wire them together? You have two options, series and parallel. You'll need to look those terms up and understand them. One will give you the same voltage but add amperage, and one will give you the same amperage but more voltage. In your case, you want double the voltage of one cell, so probably 2 3.7v cells wired in the correct fashion (series or parallel? you have to figure that out on your own ;)).

If you do that, you'll need a 7.4v protection circuit, also at batteryspace. If you want to be lazy, you can buy a premade 7.4v pack there as well, which shouldn't be that much more expensive. You'll also need the 7.4v smart charger from there to safely charge the cells. Remember, the amp hours are going to correspond with your battery life. For example, a 3000mAh battery will deliver a 3 amp current for 1 hour. To find the battery life of your set up, you need to find how much current it draws and do some math.

Hope that helps a little at least. There's too much flax to know, man.

sadly I'm slow in the head so reading isn't my strongest but I am strong at looking at pictures, so why did bacman use two 7.4v batteries instead of one and i thought you need more than 12v for the system and how do you upload pictures to show my case and my progress .

You mean his tutorial for making a portable n64? Because he wanted to double the capacity, like bush said, if you wire the batteries in series, you double the voltage and in parallel you double the capacity, so in fact bacman had two batteries of 7.4v, each of them made of two 3.7 cells.

Exemple:

99345d305f1a90e0b0954e0edc5d645e.png

If you plug let's say, 2 batteries with 1000mah in parallel, you will get 2000mah with the same voltage.

If you plug two batteries in serie, let's say 3.7v, you will get 7.4v(double voltage) with the same mah capacity as the original batteries.

In fact what bacteria did was dissassemble the batteries to get four 3.7 cells and he made two pack of 7.4v wiring them in series, than wire these two pack in parallel to double the capacity of his two 7.4v packs.

Second, the n64 normally takes 12v from his power supply, but after modders tested, you can get it running normally on 7.4v without problems, we use 7.4v because it's two normal battery cells together (3.7v) and it's the voltage used for the psone screen bacteria and many others were using. (Even cheaper screens from ebay can run from 7.4v, so it's perfect)

For uploading images, you have many sites, just check image uploader on google, when you uploaded your picture they will give you a "direct link" to it, you just have to copy-paste that link on the forum between
and it will appear in your post, personally I use bacteria uploader directly from his website: http://www.bacman.co.uk/home/uploader/

i found a 7.4v battery that has 2800 mah today and that is really i need ? im sorry for being hard to work with . this is my first and i want to make sure i dont mess anything up . and i have a video of it on youtube . my name is camra93. hopefully that will make i better.

Should be great, 2800mah is a good capacity depending on your hardware(screen, speakers etc...), mine had 2600 mah and I was playing for a good 2 hours with unmodded psone screen and many other things taking a lot of power, so you should be fine.

And please stop being sorry lol I blew up like 5 n64 an two psone screens before really knowing how everything works lol

how would i know if there is one ? or do i have to take it apart first ? ill do a video on it on my youtube channel

TRUE. If it's just a pack of two cells you probably don't have a protection circuit, but if you use a camera battery pack(like the canon one bacman used) you have one, be sure you have one, it's a really small pcb wired directly on the cells, if you don't have one, buy the one bush told you!

EDIT: where do you buy it? Do you already have it? If yes just post a picture of your pack!

Just checked your video, 99.9% that you battery pack has the protection circuit on it, but anyway, you better disassemble it to fit it better in your case, and you would see if it has the circuit at the same time. If you disassemble it, it will be hard, be VERY careful not hitting the cells hard with a screwdriver, could be dangerous, be careful, and you probably have difficulty the remove the case because there is very sticky double-faced tape between the case and the cells, just use your strength :D

thanks now i need a charger, 2k ohm resistor,and the capacitor . lol im using a car monitor and will that be enough volts for it ?

Probably, depends on the screen, try to find datasheet or information about it.

You probably have an electronic shop around your localisation, don't buy resistor and capacitor on internet lol

oh ok um lol where then? here is the info on it
Display size: 4.3 inch
Display Format: 16:9
Power < 3W
Power: DC 5-24V
Video: Rear view camera input all the way, all the way DVD video input
Format: PAL / NTSC dual-mode automatic switching
Contrast Ratio: 350:1
Brightness: 300cd/m2
Number of pixels: 480 * 272 Response time: < 12ms dynamic picture display smoothly

That screen will take 7.4v fine.
See where it says POWER: ?
It says 5-24v, so anything in that range will work.

Back