Can i replace my Powersupply of my japanese PS1 SCEP 5500 ?

vaillian

Hi i am a noob in modding and this is kind of basic question to find answers to my problems which occurred. Can i replace my japanese Powersupply of my japanese PS1 SCEP 5500 with 5502 european version ? The reason why i am asking is because i imported my console from japan and tried to plug it in with a euro plug adapter but the console started to smocke. I dont know if the console is broken or only the powersupply?

https://downloader.disk.yandex.com/prev ... XXL&crop=0

I bought a new one 5502 where the euro plug is missing so my second question is,does the euro plug court really work with any electric device, since i hace dozzens others lying around?
http://files.cablewholesale.com/hires/10w1-133.jpg

this is what happened when i tried the adapter some days ago. Do you think the whole system is broken? Or only the powersupply?

Re: Can i replace my Powersupply of my japanese PS1 SCEP 550

The 'adapter' you used was only for the connection, to go from the US type socket to the EU plug, it's not a converter to take that 220v and knock it down to 120v, hence you hit the thing with the full 220v and killed the PSU.

The PSU is fried for sure, but as to it doing any damage past that though it's difficult to say, you'll have to install a working PSU and test it out. All of that electrolyte needs to be cleaned out of there first, and cleaned well. It's conductive and corrosive, so the last place you want it is anywhere on the motherboard. A few Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol will do the job.

Those PSUs are interchangeable, and yes you can use another cable for power, as long as the thing fits, it doesn't do anything special.

RDC said:
The 'adapter' you used was only for the connection, to go from the US type socket to the EU plug, it's not a converter to take that 220v and knock it down to 120v, hence you hit the thing with the full 220v and killed the PSU.

The PSU is fried for sure, but as to it doing any damage past that though it's difficult to say, you'll have to install a working PSU and test it out. All of that electrolyte needs to be cleaned out of there first, and cleaned well. It's conductive and corrosive, so the last place you want it is anywhere on the motherboard. A few Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol will do the job.

Those PSUs are interchangeable, and yes you can use another cable for power, as long as the thing fits, it doesn't do anything special.

the store i bought it from said its for japanese devices

If you talked to a real person and told them what you were doing, then the store also has at least 1 person employed there that doesn't know what they are doing.

Adapters do not convert the voltage/current, that thing is simply a straight thru plug from one type to another. A converter would be much larger (and cost more than a few bucks) as it has at the very least a transformer in it to change the 220v to 120v for proper use.

What you have there is the equivalent of a garden hose adapter for a fire truck. It's not going to change the pressure at all and the hose will burst, which is what happened there, you shot 220v into the 120v PSU, and poof.

RDC said:
What you have there is the equivalent of a garden hose adapter for a fire truck. It's not going to change the pressure at all and the hose will burst.
Analogy of the week right there.

RDC said:
If you talked to a real person and told them what you were doing, then the store also has at least 1 person employed there that doesn't know what they are doing.

Adapters do not convert the voltage/current, that thing is simply a straight thru plug from one type to another. A converter would be much larger (and cost more than a few bucks) as it has at the very least a transformer in it to change the 220v to 120v for proper use.

What you have there is the equivalent of a garden hose adapter for a fire truck. It's not going to change the pressure at all and the hose will burst, which is what happened there, you shot 220v into the 120v PSU, and poof.

i dont get it if its useless why do they sell/produce it? European plug systems doesnt have anything lower than 220v so what is this thing for if it can only break? If both countries would have the same voltage i think it would be useful to change the plug with just an adapter to fit in different countries but thats not the case for japanese and european voltage.

For the same reason there are millions of other useless things on this rock, including pet rocks. To be accurate though, some Power Supplies have an automatic switching 110v to 220v input range, or were designed to work in that range, and in those cases something like that would be fine to use.

I wasn't around when things were being decided back then, though I'd imagine there was an absence of common sense back then just as there is today, well, probably a bit less, but I'm sure it was still around and played some part.

Back