Heavily modded PS1 console project

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I joined because I wanted to post a progress report on my modified PS1 project. I have already posted some pictures of the first two PS1 consoles I have modded in the "finished project" section if you want to check them out.

Anyway, the mods that I have planned for this project are:

1. Perspex window in the top lid.
2. Mod chip.
3. Custom blue and white paint job.
4. Replace power LED and analog controller LED for ultra bright blue LED's.
5. Relocate power light and fill and smooth the hole from the old light.
6. Wireless controllers (this will be the best part)
7. Custom paint job and blue buttons for wireless controllers.
8. Added blue LED's to go inside the console with a switch on the back to turn them on & off.
9. Custom paint jobs and blue LED's for console accessories like memory cards/game shark.

And that's about all I can think of for now but I will probably add more mods as I go.

And this will also be a very picture heavy thread!

Here is the standard SCPH-5552 console before I did anything to it:

Disassemble:

Got the mod chip installed, I've tested it and it's working well:

The areas I have marked in red are going to be filled with filler and sanded smooth to get a nice smooth minimalistic look.

I marked out where I'm going to cut into the lid using a compass.

Once that was cut out and finished I used some sand paper to de-grain all the plastic parts for a smoother finish when its painted, sanding the parts also helps for the paint to stick, if you don't sand things down before you paint them the paint is likely to flake off.

I then filled and smoothed all the gaps in the console:

I started to get the power LED ready for relocating:

So that's how much I've done so far. My next step is to fabricate a hole for the new power light location then I'll be ready to paint the case. I'll be updating this thread regularly as well so pop back soon :D

Thanks! I used a drimel tool with a cutting wheel attached to cut the hole, then i neatened it up using a rounded file, then I smoothed it out with sand paper, starting with 180 grit, then finishing it off with 320 grit.

So today I've been working on relocating the power light, it was surprisingly hard to cut these holes out as they are very small and fiddly but i've got it done and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I started off by marking out where I need to cut:

Then I drilled threw and shaped the holes with a very small file (this was the hardest part)

The LED'S fit in nice and snug and I'm really pleased with how it looks :

Now I need to paint the case, then I can wire the LED's up but I haven't got the paint yet so I'm going to start working on the wireless controllers.

So I got the LED's wired up, but one of them is considerably brighter then the other one, its hard to see from the pictures but does anyone know how I could dim it down a bit?

Yes they are, one of them is very very bright, I'm trying to figure out out to dim them down. I don't suppose you have any idea how to do that?

Right it's time to start on the wireless controllers! Now my original plan was to turn some official Sony controllers wireless, but I realized that although I think this could be done I don't really have the know how to do it myself. A While ago I bought some unofficial wireless controllers for my PS2 and they look exactly like Sony controllers but they are very cheaply made, you have to push really hard on the buttons for them to work and the thumb sticks are really stiff. Even though they are made for PS2 I tested them on my PS1 and they worked! So basically my idea is to take the guts from a Sony PS1 controller (or as many parts as I can) and put them inside the shell of the wireless one, then I will essentially have a controller that looks and works exactly like a Sony one but wireless! I am also going to paint this controller and put some blue LED's in it but I will get to that once I've finished building it.

So here is the unofficial wireless controller that only cost me about £12 for 2 controllers, and as you can see it looks exactly like the Sony ones.

And here is the controller with receiver next to the official one that I'm taking parts from.

I started off by taking the two controllers apart to see what I had to work with, and they pretty much have the exact same layout and parts, but the parts in the unofficial one are very cheaply made.

I tried to move all the guts from the Sony one to the cheap one and all of it almost fits in, it wouldn't be hard to sand the board down a bit to make it all fit, but then I realized that the board for the thumb sticks wont fit in because the battery compartment gets in the way.

So what I've have decided to do is keep the mother board from the cheap one then replace all the other buttons using Sony parts. I started off but de-soldering the L1, R1 board from the Sony controller and soldering it onto the cheap one, I tested it and the buttons work well! You can see this in the picture below.

After some sanding and plastic welding to keep the board in place I got it to fit nicely and it works great! You can see below the Sony board on the right.

So now i've got that in place I need to repeat that on the other side then just fabricate the L2 and R2 buttons to fit and push up and down smoothly. That's as far as I have got for now, my next job will be to try swap the thumb sticks round.

I'll be back with an update soon :)

Thank you very much! :) Not too many people comment on this so I thought no one was interested and I was going to stop posting my progress, but as long as at least one or two people are interested I'll keep posting :) I should have some more progress posted up tonight with the wireless controller, I had a bit of an apiffany and thought of a much better way to go about making it :D

Back