PS1 project. How can I dim an LED? As it is too bright.

Hi, I'm currently modding my PS1 console. I have relocated the power light to the right side of the console, all I have done is connect wires to the positive and negative of where the original LED once was to extend the LED to a different place (pretty basic & simple mod). But I have also added a second LED next to it that is being powered from a different location on the power board. The second LED that I have added is much brighter than the other one, probably because it is getting a bit more voltage than the other, but I want them to be the same brightness. Does anyone know how I can dim the LED down a bit? I'm a bit of a noob to this stuff really so I'd really appreciate your help.

You can just about see from this video how much brighter the one on the right is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q06tlKG1XsM&feature=youtu.be

Here is a picture of where the brighter LED is being powered from:

And the other one is being powered from here:

The LED being powered from the original power LED location is getting 2.8 volts and the Brighter one is getting 3.5 volts. Do I just need a resistor or something?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Do you have specs for your LED? I think that the best way is for you to buy a potentiometer (variable resistor) and place it in one of the lead of the LED. The start turning it slowly until it's the perfect brightness.
Or just try adding a 1k resistor where the potentiometer would go. If it's too dim or too bright change the resistance accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The dimmer LED is being undervolted and the brighter is working at its optimal voltage. Try adding any resistor below 1k, that should do it. If you want a better prediction try measuring the current of both LEDs or you could use a potentiometer to estimate the perfect resistance you need and then buy a resistor that's similar to that value. Of course you can leave the potentiometer inside the system but it uses up a lot of space and it serve no other function, apart from dimming the LED on demand, but that's up to you.
I'm going to leave you with a 5pcs 2k rotatory resistors, they are quite useful and may serve future purposes.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/2k-potentiometer

10k is to much to dim an LED the resistance you probably need is about 470 ohm so 1k pot should work. But I would suggest 2k pot just in case you need more resistance.

Thank you very much for the advice guys. I bought a 2K variable resistor and it worked a treat!

Here is the LED before the POT and as you can see it's way too bright:

And here it is after:

Thanks soo much guys! :)

Back