The thread of music, be it modded, retro, or normal.

Zero said:
Kickback said:
Disappointing flax: Drake - Nothing Was The Same, Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail, The Weeknd - Kiss Land, J. Cole - Born Sinner

Never cared for Drake at all, but just going off the singles I've heard off Nothing was the Same, it seems better than a few of his older singles for sure (a lot less actual rap though); except Started from the Bottom, I can't understand why people like that song.

Also, I'd agree that Born Sinner wasn't as good as J. Cole's last album, but I don't know if I'd call it disappointing. I thought it was pretty decent.

The singles we're easily the worst part about Take Care (Drake's last album) to the point where The Motto was removed from the album, Nothing Was The Same is just... boring.

Born Sinner, I say disappointing not because it's bad but because even J. Cole himself knows he can do better.

Also flax I forgot about Blue Chips, that was a solid record this year too.

Kickback said:
Born Sinner, I say disappointing not because it's bad but because even J. Cole himself knows he can do better.

Yeah, that's true.

2014 should be interesting though. There's the rumored J.Cole Kendrick Lamar Collab Album (and if not I'd be surprised if Kendrick doesn't release some solo material) which could be very cool. Plus, Kanye is already shooting for a new album in 2014.

I just hope that Kendrick keeps being great. Going to be hard to top m.A.A.d. City though.

2013 albums, eh? I won't make a top ten or nuffin, but I guess I can list some things I enjoyed:

Ludovico Einaudi - In a Time Lapse
ClariS - Second Story
Epica - Retrospect
NiN - Hesitation Marks
Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X
Fabrizio Paterlini - Now
Eminem - MMLP2
Alexei Zakharov/Yisha - X Rebirth OST
Supercell - Zigaexperientia
Matisyahu - Spark Seeker: Acoustic Sessions
Jorn - Traveller

Quite a few others, but I seem incapable of keeping dates straight - I keep trying to put Requiem for the Indifferent on the list, but it was 2012, and that's just one of several.

pokemon_american_psycho_slowpoke_alternative_art_anime_pokemone_desktop_2000x2000_hd-wallpaper-896298.jpg

MMLP2 was awful terrible stupendously deafening.

Made a chart. Probably forgot stuff and still some stuff I haven't heard, so I'll edit it if I care enough.

6bU7h.jpg

samjc3 said:
Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X

I super need to check this out.
Here's my list:

h23H4gZ.jpg

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Danny Brown - Old
The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Whenever, If Ever
Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury
DJ Rashad - Double Cup
New Lands - More Past Than Future
Kitty - DAISY Rage
A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
Gorguts - Coloured Sands

2013 sucked.

Sunbather was pretty good.

So No Love Deep Web is out on vinyl now but I'm not sure if I want to buy it or not considering the album cover is a dick.

Abyss said:
So No Love Deep Web is out on vinyl now but I'm not sure if I want to buy it or not considering the album cover is a dick.

That's the perfect reason to buy it.

Kickback said:
I thought 2013 was pretty decent for music tbh, I got plenty of solid releases this year.

It was no 2012.

A little late to the party here...

Ripped my post off of MAL from an identical thread:
Deserada said:
The first real foreigner releases on Maltine Records, and proves to be nothing short of mind-blowing.

bo en- pale machine (album)

sample "miss you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-psOWW3M5I

AOTY is Re:Raise by TAMAONSEN
sample "slushy poetry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQOdM6nyVw4

Honorable mentions:
mYSTERIOUS sUMMER vACATION by Meishi Smile
演出家出演 by passepied/パスピエ

Adding to honourable mentions:
-市民プールサイド and pretty much every 2013 maltine release (Wakeup Fakepop, lost decade remixes, etc.)
-TOHO BOSSA NOVA 2 (Shibayan)
-獣道 by 豚乙女 (Butaotome)
-Lunar Concerto by 発熱巫女~ず (hatsunetsumiko's)
-10cm by Anemone

Didn't see as many good vocaloid releases this year (also haven't listened to a lot), but other doujin movements seemed to be going strong.

I'd also like to add Let by Water Gun Water Gun Sky Attack to honourable mentions for 2013. His main label, "Da Hai" released an amazing sampler album with their feature artists which was amazing, but it mostly includes older songs and the production quality varies greatly.

As for all-time tops, here's my lineup:
2013albums_zps9ca1a8ee.png

titles: (note albums are in no particular order)
Shiro no Kisetsu - YuuyuP; Yoko Kanno produce Cyber Bicci - ILA; Past the Edges - Chris Rice; Morning View - Incubus; neotokyo OST - Ed Harrison;
Acceptitude - Kilowatts; lust - Rei Harakami; Twoism - BoC; Reflection - baker & kisk; Fragile - Yes;
Rebuild the Path: Catalinaosy - OKNUW; ×××× the ripper - hachioujiP (8#Prince); Midnite Vultures - Beck; REVERSUS - Electrocutica; Kid A - Radiohead;
high-school girl (we loved) - dj newtown; Fantasma - Cornelius; We Miss You - Wisp; A depressive cannot go to the ceremony - imoutoid; Piece of Cipher - Treow;
Planet Shining - m-flo; The Vocaloid Jazz Sessions Vol.1 - Baguettes Ensemble; Future Listening - Towa Tei; The Philosophy of Momus - Momus; Overspecialized - g o r e s h i t

Considering swapping ×××× the ripper for Re:Raise.

Edit: Y'all need proper button spoilers.

Can't believe I made a Top 10 list without including Trap Lord, what the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* was I thinking.

deserada said:
I very much enjoy everything on your list that I know, and thus have added those things in that list that I do not know to my 'to acquire' list. Thank you.

Back