XCVG's Review Thread (MW3 First Impressions 10/11/2011)

Re: XCVG's Review Thread

Medal of Honor (Singleplayer) Review

Medal of Honor is a realistic portrayal of the Afghanistan war: It's bleak, boring, and has no story.

9up7d5.jpg

Medal of Honor (that's the full title) is a modern warfare reboot of the WWII shooter series. Obviously, it tried to follow in the footsteps of Call of Duty 4 and Battlefield 2. I say tried, because both of those were a lot better than Medal of Honor. In fact, Medal of Honor has gradually been decreasing in quality since Allied Assault, which is probably why they wanted to reboot it. Allied Assault was excellent, Pacific Assault was meh, Airborne was terrible. I'll only be covering the singleplayer campaign here. I haven't tried multiplayer, but that's not why. The multiplayer segment of the game was developed by a different company on a different engine. I'll also be comparing Medal of Honor to Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty 4 a lot.

So, let's start off with the story. You are an elite Tier 1 Operator clearing some mountains in Afghanistan, or something. There isn't much of a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing story. There's a little bit of war room drama where your CO faces off with a general over a comm link or something like that. This isn't the deliberately over-the-top superweapon plot of BFBC2 or the dramatic if a bit implausible power struggle of Modern Warfare. It feels pretty *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing pointless, actually. Maybe it's supposed to be dark and realistic, but it just feels stupid and lacking in direction.

ka5vfr.jpg

If only more of the campaign was like this.

Maybe it's just the storytelling that falls flat on it's ass. Most of the time I had no idea what was going on. There are lots of invasive, pre-rendered cutscenes (ew). All I could tell was that they were blowing flax up in Afghanistan, but it took me a while to realize that there wasn't any story. No bad guy, no revolution, just the war in Afghanistan. There are lots of jarring transitions, both in-mission and between missions. Apparently I was playing as three different people- there are two AFO teams and some Rangers- but I couldn't tell because everyone looks and acts pretty much the same. For some reason, all the AFO team (whatever that is, I heard SEAL mentioned a few times near the end) members have beards and all the Rangers are clean shaven. And there are still no female characters. Which is too bad, since it would have bumped the terrible score up a bit. Well, there's the chopper pilot, but you don't even see her. At least she doesn't get you killed.

The story is all over the place. There are no mission briefings and little conversation to clear things up. One moment you're assaulting a camp, then defending an LZ, and then there's a vehicular segment. There is one in a helicopter where you take out mortar sites. Helicopter missions are cool, but it's too linear and scripted and I really couldn't care less about some mortar sites. Usually, you'll be wondering what the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* is actually going on. The lacking storyline could be excused if the gameplay was good.

qnv3oi.jpg

It looks like MW2, but it is definitely not MW2.

Unfortunately, Medal of Honor is inferior even to BFBC2. Perhaps they were going for realism with the bleak, boring campaign, but the gameplay throws that out the window. In almost every mission you start with two weapons plus a pistol with unlimited ammo. You can ask your teammates for ammo, which in effect gives you unlimited ammo. Totally realistic. The enemy AI is simplistic but does a decent job, but your teammates are terrible. They are constantly getting in your line of fire, can't cover your six, and can't kill enemies three feet in front of them. If you are behind cover, even partially behind cover, you're safe, but stick your head out a little bit and you are dead within seconds. Rigid cover-based gameplay is lame in my opinion, but it's not too bad once you get used to it.

It's the little things that really ruin the campaign. Shoving static cutscenes everywhere does not make the game more cinematic. It's not as bad as Bad Company 2, but it's still pretty jarring. There are a ton of invisible walls, enemies spawn right in front of you, and there are constant notifications, including an icon that pops up whenever you get a headshot. The little voice echo was supposed to add realism but I just found it annoying. At least there aren't supply crates full of guns- but there isn't a great variety of weapons either. There is an objective indicator, but it only pops up when you pop up the HUD. You'll need it. I often had no idea what I was supposed to do or where I was supposed to go. Checkpoints are poorly placed- sometimes there are tons when it is totally unnecessary, sometimes none when they are.

9areoi.jpg

Terrorist camp number forty-nine cleared out, sir.

Despite it's flaws, the campaign is decent at first. Then it starts to get boring. By Day 2 (the third act basically) I was pushing myself to play. It basically goes like this: Assault encampment, defend position, assault, defend, etc, with some extraction mixed in there. There are the vehicular segments I mentioned, as well as a night stealth mission, but there isn't enough variety overall. The mountains of Afghanistan seem like a good setting, but there isn't enough variety in the terrain. It's basically small villages and mountain. There aren't any bunkers, cities, or cargoships here. It gets same-old very quickly. There are some fun missions, but mostly it's just the same.

Visually, Medal of Honor is nice, but nothing special. One might say it looks spectacular, but everything does nowadays, so it isn't really spectacular, is it? The game is musically sparse, and when there's music, it's of lower quality and lacks the energy of the music in CoD4 or MW2. Which is a shame, really, since better music would improve the tone and liven up the game quite a bit. One thing I found disappointing was the lack of flexibility for controls. Obviously this wouldn't be a problem for console gamers, but I prefer hold-CTRL-to-crouch and hit-z-to-prone to using one key for both. I got used to it, but I would have preferred more flexibility.

I wanted to like Medal of Honor. I enjoyed Allied Assault, which I first played years ago. I like Call of Duty, which MoH failed to emulate. Visually, it's beautiful, but the music sucks. Basically, Medal of Honor lacks the quality of Modern Warfare (1 or 2, you pick) and lacks the charm of Bad Company 2. It has a bleak, boring, poorly told storyline, no destructible environments, gameplay that is decent at best, and a lot of obvious flaws. I paid $50 for Call of Duty 4, and it was worth it just for the singleplayer campaign. I got Medal of Honor for half price at $30 and I hope the multiplayer is good, or it will have been a waste of money.

Score
Immersion: 4 - crappy story, poorly told, and lots of flaws wreck suspension of disbelief
Gameplay: 6 - decent but repetitive, at least there are some vehicular segments to shake things up a bit
Quality: 7 - it looks nice, but the music is awful

FINAL SCORE: 57%

Verdict: Medal of Honor was a good try of a jump-on-the-bandwagon modern warfare reboot. Unfortunately, in trying differentiate, they changed all the things that made Modern Warfare great.

Re: XCVG's Review Thread

When I play Team Fortress 2, I don't expect it to be like Borderlands.

Re: XCVG's Review Thread (Medal of Honor Reviewed 01/09/11)

I hate when reviews compare games to other games.

I didn't say I expected it to be exactly the same as CoD. What I said was that they did didn't work. Well, I guess I said that, but it's not what I meant. I found the campaign to be bleak and boring, period.

The one thing I don't like about the BC2 review is that you kinda have to know the first BC to appreciate some of the singleplayer, which the review kinda lacked.

Re: XBOX System Review

XCVG said:
Microsoft XBOX Review

XBOX1.JPG

Several years ago, Microsoft decided they wanted to get into the console business. They shoved a decent PC into an okay looking box and launched it with Halo. Though it wasn't as successful as the PlayStation 2, it did quite well.\

Hardware wise, the XBOX was superior to its competitors. It had a 733MHz Pentium III processor, nVidia graphics chip similar to a GeForce 3 or 4, and 64MB of DDR RAM. The XBOX could do up to 1080p HD, though most games only supported 480p progressive scan. It was also the first console to include a hard drive, an 8GB one plenty big for saving games. The XBOX could play DVDs, but only with a remote which had to be purchased separately.

Most importantly, the XBOX was equipped with a built-in network adaptor. XBOX LIVE allowed console gamers to, for a fee, connect to the internet and play against people around the world. What had failed for the Dreamcast worked for the XBOX. Online was its biggest selling feature over the other consoles. Unfortunately, that no longer applies today, as LIVE for the original XBOX is no longer supported.

The XBOX has a good selection of games. It is particularily strong in the FPS genre. I don't know of many specifics; mostly I just play Halo 2. But there are plenty of games, not as many as the PS2, but plenty out there. Sega fans will love the XBOX; many of Sega's newer titles are for XBOX. Overall, the XBOX has lots of great games, but I don't have many of them.

As usual, there are plenty of accessories, third-party and first-party. Some are quite useful, some are completely useless, and most are in between. The original "Duke" controller for the XBOX was too large, but the newer "S" controller is nice and comfortable. XBOX controllers have two sticks, a decent d-pad, two analog triggers, start/back and six face buttons. The ABXY buttons are fine but the black and white buttons would have been better as shoulder buttons, like on the XBOX 360 controller. It's not a bad controller, in fact it's pretty good. Also included are built-in rumble and two interface slots. These can be used for a memory card or XBOX LIVE headset interface.

A stock XBOX is good but a modded XBOX is vastly superior. There are several methods, including TSOP flash, softmod, and modchip. I used TSOP flash, but I won't go into the details here. I also installed a larger hard drive (it's just a normal IDE one). A modded XBOX can run various apps and play DVDs without a remote. Games can be ripped to the HDD and copied games can be run. There are plenty of emulators, from Atari to N64. Normally files are transferred via FTP, which is actually fairly convenient. I highly recommend modding your XBOX if you are confident and competent enough.

I got my XBOX for free. XBOXes can be found cheap or even free, and are a good investment. Common games are easy to find and usually cheap. Some may be difficult to find, however, though most of the desireable titles are quite common. Accessories are hit-and-miss; common ones can be found easily, but some stranger ones are hard to find. The verdict? Buy one! Heck, buy two! That's an order, scotch tape the wires (better than solder imo)!

The Good
Powerful, good games, easy to mod, cheap and easy to find, can do partial HD

The Bad
LIVE is discontinued, big and heavy

The Ugly
Torx screws, AV connector isn't the same as the 360 (though that's the 360's fault)

Final Score: 9/10 :awesome:

Well said. I had an Xbox years ago, but replaced it with an Xbox 360. The Xbox remains a favourite console of mine and I would portable-ize it if it wasn't so Dang BIG! Also I'm very inexperienced with modding.

Portal 2 Review

Portal 2 Review
Portal 2 is longer, more varied and deeper, but Portal will forever remain the classic.

x6bwi9.png

Portal was released in 2007 as part of The Orange Box. Billed as a "first-person puzzler", it was extremely well-received and quickly became a cult classic. Internet memes sprung up around the game and the ending song, Still Alive, became immensely popular. The gameplay was addictive and the humour twisted and fresh. On the other side of the token, Portal was a short game and had limited replay value.

Fast forward four years. The sequel has arrived. Like the original, Portal 2 is developed by Valve and built on their Source engine. The gameplay is very similar to the first game, revolving around the use of a portal gun and its portals to solve puzzles. Some of the old puzzle elements, such as the Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cube and 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button make a return, but the High Energy Pellet is noticeably absent. New elements include three different types of gel, laser beams, and cubes that pull themselves around on jury-rigged legs. At first glance, Portal 2 seems like more of the same.

15myz51.jpg

Portal 2 delves deeper into the history of Aperture Science and introduces a new character: Wheatley. Of course, Chell and GLaDOS make a return. I won't reveal the circumstances, but you get to tour old parts of the facility, which is kind of neat. Portal 2 takes place somewhere from several decades to several millenia after the first game- it's not made clear but I would go with the lower end of the spectrum. Parts of the game are narrated by Cave Johnson, the founder of Aperture Science. The humour is just as twisted and prevalent as ever, but of course takes a backseat to the gameplay. There is a bit more story to Portal 2, and definitely a lot more backstory. The world of Aperture Science just feels a lot more fleshed out.

While the new puzzle elements freshen things up a bit, the game's length inevitable works against it. After a while, I found the puzzles getting tedious and repetitive. Before you go and say something along the lines of "puzzlers are not for you", hear me out. A lot of test chambers reuse almost exactly the same puzzles. It also felt like less of an actual challenge than the first game, and more figuring out what the Heck you're supposed to do. Some parts were veritable pixel hunts, trying to find a portalable surface to hit. While we're on the topic, guess what you discover in the old parts of the facility? More test chambers! In this case, the game's strict linearity may have worked against it. Linear isn't bad, but I would have liked to explore the old facility.

14m5j4k.jpg

Of course, I am a bit like Yahtzee in that I tend to accentuate the worst parts of a game. I also went in a little bit biased, since what I really wanted as a sequel involved a romp across post-apocalyptic America, ending in an Episode Three tie-in. My favorite sections were those that took place in the maintenance areas and outside of test chambers. I was a little bit disappointed to go back into them when discovering the old parts of the Enrichment Center. Still, some of the chambers are quite fun, and it's a pretty good experience overall. I would say that the main parts of the game are somewhat easier than Portal 1. Even if you don't like them that much, the humour and story is probably worth it. I pushed through test chambers because I wanted more story and crazy lines from Cave Johnson.

I have had a very brief experience with co-op on Portal 2. It is considered a major selling feature, but I guess I can't really say that much about it. It was pretty fun even to just watch, but will inevitably devolve into trying to kill your buddy for a while then deciding to work together. The humour is much the same, with new puzzle emphasizing the cooperative aspect.

qppaua.jpg

Despite the aging Source engine, Portal 2 isn't too dated in the graphical department. It's not the best, no, but it works with the game's visual style and presentation. A lot of locations are dark and dirty, which Source (oddly) excels at. There aren't any hugely wide open environments in this game, but not all of it takes place in cramped test chambers. The voice acting is excellent, with a silent Chell, Ellen McLain reprising her role as GLaDOS, Stephen Merchant as Wheatley and JK Simmons as Cave Johnson. Valve obviously put a lot of effort into sound design. The effects are spot on and the music is pretty good, though Want You Gone will never achieve the same success as the iconic Still Alive. If Portal 2 is one thing, it's well-presented.

Right now Portal 2 is on sale for half price on Steam. I highly recommend you get it. While it suffers from some repetitive and tedious puzzles, new elements and new locations do change things up a bit. Though graphics weren't improved by a large margin, they are still current, and Source will probably live to see its tenth birthday. Want You Gone is a good song, but will never achieve the same popularity as Still Alive. I think this could be applied to the game as a whole. While it is longer, more varied, and deeper, Portal will forever remain the modern classic, with Portal 2 simply a sequel.

Presentation: 8 - A decent storyline and dark, sarcastic humour make this game feel epic.
Gameplay: 6.5 - While there is more variation, the puzzles get repetitive and there are some borderline pixel hunts involved.
Graphics: 7 - Source is six years old, but Portal 2 still manages to mostly keep up. The somewhat limited scope helps a lot.
Sound Design: 8 - It has excellent voice acting, snappy sound effects and an intense soundtrack.
Lasting Appeal: 5 - Co-op and advanced levels extend it a bit, but you probably wouldn't want to do those more than once either.

Overall Score: 7.5 - Very Good
Not mathematically determined.

Having beaten single player and being rank 59 in Multiplayer let me say this. The singleplayer was god awful.

It's a matter of opinion, I suppose. I did enjoy it immensely, and they did do a pretty good job of presenting the whole thing. Still, it's getting a bit tiring, and as I have said I don't see how they can make a sequel.

I'm not talking opinion. You could literally predict everything that was going to happen. Also, there won't be a sequel because you can't make a sequel.

Who plays Call Of Duty for campaign anyway? And sense the multiplayer is just a glorified dlc pack, its nowhere near worth even thinking about buying.

I think its a great game for multiplay and thats why you buy it (Campaign is for hipsters like my friend who thinks im an ass for going straight to multiplayer-->You know, the thing where most of their resources and development went). It is a very expensive map pack basically (Especially if you pay $50 to get the newest mappack early, but idk if thats actually true). But they got rid of many of the things that pissed you off in MW2 (Nuke, noobtubes, totally BS kills, overpowered weapons, killstreak things that were insanely over powered, and weapons that would be good if they weren't so totally weird in their stats mix).

That being said is it worth $60, no. If you have the spare cash and want to play a better MW2 then buy it, want a better split screen experience then go ahead, but be warned there is no perk that get you the ability to run nonstop-Which totally *Can'tSayThisOnTV*s up my game and just pisses me off.

I have much the opposite opinion. I find the multiplayer... not bad but not the awesomeness everyone seems to say it is. The campaign was predictable, cliched, excessively short and implausible. But it was very well done, and fun to play as well. I think a lot of the detractors are looking at it from the wrong angle. The best way to describe it would probably be an interactive action movie.

Zero said:
Who plays Call Of Duty for campaign anyway? And sense the multiplayer is just a glorified dlc pack, its nowhere near worth even thinking about buying.

Not enough people, that's the problem. The multiplayer I haven't had a chance to really get into, but I'm basically going straight from CoD4 to MW3 on that point.

Sonyportableizer said:
(Campaign is for hipsters like my friend who thinks im an ass for going straight to multiplayer-->You know, the thing where most of their resources and development went)

Sad and probably true. You and a lot of other people are missing out on something really great, and I can't help but feel the true star of the show suffers for it.

D.J said:
I'm not talking opinion. You could literally predict everything that was going to happen. Also, there won't be a sequel because you can't make a sequel.

Predictable does not mean bad. As for the latter point, you'd be surprised. If there's potential for money, there's potential for a sequel, whether it makes any Dang sense to have one or not.

There's only "not enough people" because everyone has already played the typical COD-esque type campaign a million times this generation. You can only feed us the same crap so many times before people give up on it.

My first impression of Modern Warfare 3 was to walk straight past it and not even look at the back of the box.

Not buying into Activisions constant barrage of gun-metal grey/flax brown 'photorealistic' copy-pasted environments and broken single player which is insultingly short and lacks any of the actual war-time atmosphere you got from COD2.

I found Modern Warfare to be in general superior to CoD2, as good as the latter was. Looking at various comments and such, I can't help but conclude that it's a very love-it-or-hate-it thing. I've heard people slam the games and people gush praise, but very little in between. I wonder if this is due to specific design decisions, a feature of sociology, or just 'cause.

I saw a very good explanation of the Modern Warfare campaign, articulated way better than I can, on the Spacebattles forums. Maybe I'll repost that here, it's about the best assessment I've ever seen. I'm going to butcher it but it's basically something like this. The plot is pretty thin, but good enough to hold the campaign together. The set pieces make sure that you're always immersed in the action and are too busy to notice the flaws. While you're actually doing it, it seems amazing- but if you are reading about it or thinking about it later it seems pretty bad. Some people (myself included) love this, some don't.

In any case, what else do you want to see reviewed? Don't say Battlefield 3, because I'm not giving EA my money. Don't say Skyward Sword, because I'm not interested in Zelda and do not own a Wii. Don't say Skyrim, because I can't *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing afford it time or money-wise. I almost did a review of Splinter Cell: Conviction, but apparently I didn't go through with it. I have quite a few indie games from the last few bundles, maybe I'll do one of those.

Sonyportableizer said:
(Campaign is for hipsters like my friend who thinks im an ass for going straight to multiplayer-->You know, the thing where most of their resources and development went)

13476-15223.gif

I do not think hipster means what you think it means.

Back