XCVG's Review Thread (MW3 First Impressions 10/11/2011)

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
I love writing reviews. Most of them are critical and inaccurate, but I love writing them anyway. Since the review site is all but forgotten about, I'm starting a thread. I plan to post two reviews a week- one new and one repost. Eventually, I'll run out of old reviews and I'll probably scale back rather than write two reviews a week.

Review Index

1. Mass Effect (PC)
2. Ms. Pac-Man TV Game (repost)
3. Microsoft XBOX
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC)
5. Medal of Honor (Singleplayer)
6. Portal 2 (PC)

XCVG's rating scale explained (used on BFBC2 and MoH reviews)
Immersion: Mostly to do with the storyline, but also includes the overall experience. Does it pull me in?
Gameplay: Is it fun? Difficulty just right? Pretty much self-explanatory and impossible to explain.
Quality: How good is it, technically? Graphics, sound, and overall quality are included.
All are out of ten, and overall score is calculated mathematically.

Mass Effect (PC)

As you all know, Mass Effect is one of samjc3's favorite games (the other being Mass Effect 2). I also like it.

If you don't live under a rock (come on, admit it, you probably do), you probably have at least heard of Mass Effect. It's an RPG/shooter set in the relatively near future, availible for PC and XBOX 360. You play as Commander Shepard, working with both the military of Earth and the alien Council. You have to chase down a bad guy bent on destroying the galaxy. There's much more to it, of course, but I don't want to give away the whole story. The titular Mass Effect is basically the warp drive or Stargate of the game; it's what makes everything possible, this time in the form of "Element Zero".

Mass Effect is an RPG, and you choose a class, level up, and deal with items. There are three pure and three hybrid classes. There is of course normal combat with guns, but there is also biotics (think the Force with a technobabble explaination) and tech powers. The problem is the powers only work as a companion to shooting stuff, not as a way to defeat enemies on their own. You always have two squadmates with you, though, so they can do the shooting. Combat mainly consists of shooting from behind cover. Right now I'd like to point out that the AI kind of sucks but is at the same time pretty hard. Usually you are up against overwhelming force, and your squadmates do little more than get themselves killed. The enemy combines two tactics of shooting from a distance and rushing you, usually the latter. Overall, combat is decent but not great.

I kind of got away from the RPG elements of the game. You can't talk to everyone, but it's pretty Dang close. All the dialog is voice, not text, and you can ask about stuff and take a paragon, neutral, or renegade stance. Paragon and renegade is basically the morality system. There are two meters, not one, and completing assignments different ways or saying different things earns you either paragon or renegade. Oddly, some things I would expect to give renegade gave paragon and vice versa. Maybe I just have a twisted moral compass, though. There's nothing special about leveling up; you get a certain amount of points with each level and apply them to certain skills. This applies to your squadmates, too, though only the ones you're with. The ones that aren't with you get points, too, but you have to have them with you to apply them.

One thing the game really fails at is inventory. There are lots of weapons, armor, and upgrades to choose from, but they all fall into a few basic categories. It seems like a lot but really there isn't much variety to be had. Inventory management is a pain in the ass. You can sell items or convert them to Omni-Gel, which I found kind of odd. Your inventory fills up fast, and it's a pain to clear out. A lot of people hate the Mako driving parts of the game. I kind of liked them, but I do see the flaws. The physics need work, and you can only drive within a very limited area. Again, the lack of variety rears its ugly head. There is virtually zero variety in the landscapes, and no cool low-grav effects either. The planets are pretty much all empty except for a few outposts, although maybe it's just that you can't land on the densely populated ones.

Mass Effect is a very immersive game. As I said before, you can talk to a lot of people. There are quite a few side-assignments, though not a huge amount. The graphics aren't great, even for a game from 2007. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad either, just not spectacular. The music works well with the overall theme and tone. There are plenty of cutscenes and the game feels... cinematic I guess would be the right term. However, although the main story is well done, the side assignments lack the polish and cinematic feel. The main story is also quite short, but you'll inevitably get caught up in the side assignements, which extends the game significantly.

As usual, I have several minor complaints. First off, you are ridiculously short on credits in the beginning, and have a ridiculous surplus of them at the end. I don't think this is specific to Mass Effect, though; most RPGs are like this. I've already stated this but I'll say it again- LACK OF VARIETY. Seriously, you need some different kinds of guns, a nice assortment of props, and more than two types of building. I may be the only one not excited about the romance subplot, but it's both too easy to develop a relationship, accidentally or otherwise, and too easy to end it. Just being a good, caring, paragon commander will result in a relationship. I'd like to note that all these complaints are relatively minor, all things considered.

Overall, Mass Effect is an immersive, fun RPG. It's a bit rough around the edges, but overall it's pretty good. It's not that old, but it can be had for the bargain price of $20 over Steam.

The Good:
Immersive, good value for $20, has a good cinematic feel, combat is pretty good

The Bad:
Lack of variety, side assignments lack polish, inventory management is a pain

The Meh:
Two types of building, Normandy has a horribly impractical interior

SCORE: 8/10

Re: XCVG's Review Thread

AfroLH said:
samjc3 said:
i beg to differ. 10/10

He is talking about the PC version.
The Xbox 360 version is much superior.
Ah yes. the menus in the PC version are terrible. but its still 10/10. both are.

I don't see how the menus are bad. In fact from what I've heard the PC version is slightly better.

And sj3, two points and an awesome face were knocked off because of Tali. Worst character in a video game ever.

Namco Ms. Pac-Man TV Game (repost)

I went into my games room looking for something to review today and turned to the top shelf, where the miscellaneous things are generally kept. I looked around and found a Namco plug and play game. This review will be a bit odd because what I am reviewing is not really a game, console, or accessory.

Sep-30-09-002-300x225.jpg

The choice of color and the styling is quite well done. The colors match the Ms. Pac-man game featured and the design is retro but not overdone. The art is well done as well, though not overly fancy. I think it is just the original artwork from the original games. It’s pretty well built, even though it is made in China. Four AA batteries go in the back wall thing. There’s no option for a power brick, which kind of sucks but is understandable. On the front there is a power switch, power LED, reset button, and a “menu” button which I will explain in a bit.

The controls are quite good and a nice compromise. Two buttons, one big and one small are located on the top left side. They both feel clicky like arcade pushbuttons. Not tact switch clicky and not mushy like rubber domes either. I haven’t opened it up so I don’t know how it was done, but I suspect it uses a microswitch similar to the ones in real arcade buttons, though probably smaller. The joystick is not as good, but still good. It has a somewhat small yellow ball top, which I find easier to grip with the tips of my fingers rather than with my hold hand. It is 8-way which is odd considering that it is a “Ms. Pac-man” collection, but 8-way is more flexible and better for the other included games. Again it is clicky and probably uses microswitches, but it also turns about 90 degrees either way. The turning is smooth but the normal joystick action is a bit creaky. The red washer is loose as well, but it’s not really a problem.

Now onto the games. Six games are included. Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position, Galaga, Xevious, and Mappy. My personal favorites are Pole Position and Xevious. All the games are incredibly difficult, possibly because I am unskilled. Then again arcade games are meant to get as much money as possible. While difficult, the games are fun and strangely addictive. I don’t know how accurate they are but the integrated games do not suffer any obvious flaws; they play smoothly and are free of glitches. I could not tell you what powers this joystick game either. The only annoying thing is that the games have high scores but they are not really saved.

Overall, this is a really fun device to play with. It’s well built and does not suffer any serious flaws. It shouldn’t be too hard to find and could make a nice hacking project… but you might have too much fun just playing it.

Design and Build Quality: 8/10
Controls: 7/10
Games: 8/10

Overall Rating: 8/10

XCVG said:
I don't see how the menus are bad. In fact from what I've heard the PC version is slightly better.

And sj3, two points and an awesome face were knocked off because of Tali. Worst character in a video game ever.
you are so lucky we arent in the same room together. i honestly would try to kill you about now. :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2:

Yeah, I should probably stop bugging you about your Tali obscession.

The PC version of Mass Effect is nowhere near as good as the 360 version.

Yea, apparently it was a quick port and the aiming was also horrible in comparison. I don't know if Mass Effect 2 for PC suffers from the same thing though.

I don't see anything wrong with the PC version of Mass Effect. Seems perfectly well-made to me. ?_?

XBOX System Review

Microsoft XBOX Review

XBOX1.JPG

Several years ago, Microsoft decided they wanted to get into the console business. They shoved a decent PC into an okay looking box and launched it with Halo. Though it wasn't as successful as the PlayStation 2, it did quite well.\

Hardware wise, the XBOX was superior to its competitors. It had a 733MHz Pentium III processor, nVidia graphics chip similar to a GeForce 3 or 4, and 64MB of DDR RAM. The XBOX could do up to 1080p HD, though most games only supported 480p progressive scan. It was also the first console to include a hard drive, an 8GB one plenty big for saving games. The XBOX could play DVDs, but only with a remote which had to be purchased separately.

Most importantly, the XBOX was equipped with a built-in network adaptor. XBOX LIVE allowed console gamers to, for a fee, connect to the internet and play against people around the world. What had failed for the Dreamcast worked for the XBOX. Online was its biggest selling feature over the other consoles. Unfortunately, that no longer applies today, as LIVE for the original XBOX is no longer supported.

The XBOX has a good selection of games. It is particularily strong in the FPS genre. I don't know of many specifics; mostly I just play Halo 2. But there are plenty of games, not as many as the PS2, but plenty out there. Sega fans will love the XBOX; many of Sega's newer titles are for XBOX. Overall, the XBOX has lots of great games, but I don't have many of them.

As usual, there are plenty of accessories, third-party and first-party. Some are quite useful, some are completely useless, and most are in between. The original "Duke" controller for the XBOX was too large, but the newer "S" controller is nice and comfortable. XBOX controllers have two sticks, a decent d-pad, two analog triggers, start/back and six face buttons. The ABXY buttons are fine but the black and white buttons would have been better as shoulder buttons, like on the XBOX 360 controller. It's not a bad controller, in fact it's pretty good. Also included are built-in rumble and two interface slots. These can be used for a memory card or XBOX LIVE headset interface.

A stock XBOX is good but a modded XBOX is vastly superior. There are several methods, including TSOP flash, softmod, and modchip. I used TSOP flash, but I won't go into the details here. I also installed a larger hard drive (it's just a normal IDE one). A modded XBOX can run various apps and play DVDs without a remote. Games can be ripped to the HDD and copied games can be run. There are plenty of emulators, from Atari to N64. Normally files are transferred via FTP, which is actually fairly convenient. I highly recommend modding your XBOX if you are confident and competent enough.

I got my XBOX for free. XBOXes can be found cheap or even free, and are a good investment. Common games are easy to find and usually cheap. Some may be difficult to find, however, though most of the desireable titles are quite common. Accessories are hit-and-miss; common ones can be found easily, but some stranger ones are hard to find. The verdict? Buy one! Heck, buy two! That's an order, scotch tape the wires (better than solder imo)!

The Good
Powerful, good games, easy to mod, cheap and easy to find, can do partial HD

The Bad
LIVE is discontinued, big and heavy

The Ugly
Torx screws, AV connector isn't the same as the 360 (though that's the 360's fault)

Final Score: 9/10 :awesome:

Since when did Microsoft end Xbox Live for the original Xbox altogether? I know some games aren't supported any more, but as far as I know, as long as you have a paid Xbox Live account, you can still use it to play games online provided there are still servers up for it. I've even heard of people on the Xbox playing Halo 2 against people on the 360.

Also, while I can see why people disliked its size, I personally think the Duke controller is very comfortable, while I think the Controller S is very uncomfortable. I don't have gorilla-sized hands, either.

I really got into an Xbox collecting spree about a year ago and got a bunch of games... maybe I should look for some more!

Xbox live for the original xbox has been shut down since April 15th.

Ah, thank you, Zero.

Dang, there go my hopes of ever playing Counter-Strike or Doom 3 f'reelz. :<

You can still play any games that have a System Link feature online using Xlink Kai or XBconnect.

MASSIVE THREAD NECROPOST!

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC)

309rhcg.jpg

Let's start off with a little bit of background. I've never played Bad Company. I used to play Battlefield 2 a LOT. I've played CoD4 and MW2, I liked CoD4 better. Think of Bad Company 2 as Battlefield meets Call of Duty. It was only $20 on Steam and I liked the idea. The thing that really sold me was the destructible environments. So I bought it.

As with most games, the singleplayer and multiplayer modes are totally different experiences. Singleplayer first. It's pretty similar to Call of Duty in general, but different in a lot of the finer points. You have to stop this bad guy from firing some sort of EMP superweapon. The story has a lot of twists but most of the time you will be wondering what the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* is going on. Apparently Russia invaded or something, but there is almost no background information given. Bad Company 2 is a little more tongue-in-cheek and over-the-top compared to Modern Warfare, but it doesn't feel as deep or cinematic. Make no mistake, it's pretty good, but it just isn't as good.

Gameplay-wise, singleplayer is good, but not excellent. The vehicular element that meant so much to previous Battlefield games feels secondary at best. It is a lot more linear as well. It's a shame, too, because the vehicular segments that are in the game are excellent. The destructible environment part is cool, but works against you more than it works for you. The selection of guns sucks. It seems as if they took the most obscure guns and put them in the game. You "collect" guns by picking them up and there are stations where you can switch up your inventory. Personally, I think this mechanic sucks, but some will love it. My final complaint is the level of difficulty varies wildly- it's not very well tuned. Some parts are ludicrously easy, some unbearably hard, and some come down to dumb luck. Overall, the singleplayer campaign seems like a cheap knockoff of Modern Warfare with a few extra elements thrown in. That being said, it is still good and definitely worth playing.

Multiplayer is mostly good, but with some critical flaws. It brings back the Battlefield experience, with tanks, aircraft, control points and non-linear maps. The destructible environments make a much bigger difference in multiplayer. There are some new things like semi-regenerating health and the kits are configured differently. Like Battlefield 2, teamwork and strategy as well as skill are required. It is fairly well balanced and is fun for beginners and pros alike. The maps seem smaller- but it's a good thing, they feel more intense and focused as well. Bad Company 2 is very intense- sometimes I actually duck slightly when things explode. It is, for the most part, very well done. And of course, it has dedicated servers (I'm looking at you, Modern Warfare 2).

However, it has some serious problems. My first point is pretty minor since almost everyone uses voice chat nowadays. The communication system is terrible. You point in the direction of the objective or thing you spotted and hit a key, sending an automatic message. There is no way to send more detailed orders or messages apart from typing them, and the system doesn't work half the time. What is a big problem is unlocks. Everything has to be unlocked- when you start off you don't even have medkits. There are a lot of unlocks, but even basic items need to be unlocked. It wouldn't be so bad if leveling occured frequently. The problem is that you have to play almost obsessively to level up, even at lower levels. You need a lot of XP to gain a level and unless you are really good, it is earned slowly. Instead of a nice sense of advancement, it's just incredibly frustrating.

For both modes, the graphics are pretty good- but what was excellent a few years ago is the norm now. I suspect it would look better on a PC that supported DX11, but sadly mine only supports DX9 (hardware supports DX10 but I'm using WinXP). The sound is excellent, even by today's standards. It does take a quick config edit to get it working properly on Realtek hardware (which 90% of today's PCs use). And of course, it uses PunkBuster, which fails to update automatically. Bad Company 2 runs pretty good on my rig (Q8200, 2GB RAM, HD4670, WinXP) at medium-low settings. Your mileage may vary.

Bad Company 2 isn't a bad game. It's actually a pretty good game, with a fun campaign and intense multiplayer. Unfortunately, it is hampered by easily avoidable flaws.

XCVG's rating scale explained:
Immersion: Mostly to do with the storyline, but also includes the overall experience. Does it pull me in?
Gameplay: Is it fun? Difficulty just right? Pretty much self-explanatory and impossible to explain.
Quality: How good is it, technically? Graphics, sound, and overall quality are included.
All are out of ten, and overall score is calculated mathematically.

Singleplayer
Immersion: 7 - good, but doesn't feel as deep as MW and story is hard to follow
Gameplay: 7 - overall pretty good, but could be better
Quality: 9 - great graphics, sound, and excellent mostly-destructible-environments physics
Multiplayer
Immersion:8 - very intense and immersive overall
Gameplay: 6 - the gameplay itself is great, but bad leveling mechanics take away from this score
Quality: 8.5 - same as singleplayer, no major lag issues but PunkBuster sucks, though not bad enough to lose a full point

FINAL SCORE: 76%

Verdict: Bad Company 2 is a great game despite its flaws. For $20, you can't go wrong, especially when comparable titles are selling for upwards of $50.

Back